Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Ear Wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ear Wax

During the past few months, I’ve noticed that my right ear is producing a lot of wax (cerumen). I had my ears cleaned in June when I went for maintenance on my hearing aids. That helped for awhile, but now, it’s really bad to the point where it’s interfering with my hearing.

After I shower, I use a wadded up cotton ball to dry my ears before inserting my hearing aids. I think this pushes some wax farther into my ear canal, and the large domes on my aids probably push was into my ears as well.

I don’t like using cotton swabs to clean my ears.

Does anyone have a remedy for this?
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ear Wax

A few drops of hydrogen peroxide will desolve the wax then flush with a little water. I use a syringe to flush them out.

Only do this if you don't have tubes in your ears.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

3. Likes Pete, annekat, Alysia, jrslim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Don’t put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.”
    I don’t remember who told this but it’s good advice. I use hydrogen peroxide and a spray bottle called “Elephant Ear”. There are several on the market, this is one https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Easy-E...s%2C233&sr=8-7

5. Likes Pete, annekat, Alysia, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you use a hearing aid with a full ear mold, moisture tends to build up in your ear. One ENT doctor told me to use witch hazel which is a reduced form of alcohol to deal with the itching and to reduce moisture in my ear. This would also be available in most drugstores and is very cheap to buy Another product I have often use is available in most drugstores and it is designed to get the moisture out of your ear for swimmers. It is a higher concentration of alcohol. It comes in a small squirt bottle to put a few drops in your ear. A regular eyedropper can be used to insert witch hazel into your year.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

7. Likes Pete, John S, annekat, Alysia, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to the OSU ENT Clinic to see what could be done about my ear wax issue. The audiologist found no issues with my hearing aids, but a quick look into my right ear confirmed why I couldn’t hear. So, I went across the hall where the PA cleaned my right ear. She said it was gross with signs of an infection in the canal. She looked at my left ear and pronounced it “clean as a whistle”.

I got a Rx for antibiotic ear drops. She also recommended that I rinse my ears one a month with a 1:3 solution of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar.

I won’t wear my right hearing aid until I’m done with the antibiotic, but at least I can hear...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

9. Likes gunnyl, Alysia, mishb, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good result in the end Pete.
    Hope you're doing well and keeping safe.
    Diagnosed April 1995

11. Likes Pete, Alysia liked this post