Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coping with stress on current pandemic

I think most of our forum members here are considered at a higher risk for having a severe case of Covid-19 than most people in the general population. Most of us probably live in a country which has not done an outstanding job in managing the pandemic too. There are some countries that seem to have done a pretty exemplary job in managing the pandemic but I don't think we have many members on the forum from those countries.

For me the greatest sources of stress from the current pandemic is the anxiety I have about catching the virus and having to go through intubation again where my prognosis is not very good. And also if one is lucky enough to survive there is a high likelihood of having further serious damage to various organs in our body.

The other daily source of stress is from the necessary self isolation in order to try avoid catching the virus in the first place. Having a suppressed immune system has required me to take more precautions from developing frequent infections. I also have developed allergic reaction to several types of antibiotics which can make treating them more complicated.

I live in rural Minnesota in a senior housing complex that has a nursing home, assisted living, hospice, and light assisted living area which is the most independent part and where I currently reside. Minnesota did not do a very good job initially in protecting people in nursing homes and other congregate care facilities and over 80% of our deaths in the state happened in these facilities. They then improved their efforts and reduced the death rate down to about 30% occurring in the congregate care facilities. The death rates of also decreased somewhat as a percentage of our population which is encouraging for our safety. But it might almost mean that more younger people are getting infected as the virus spreads more.

Our facility like most nursing homes and congregate care facilities and most businesses has been essentially locked down for several months. Initially we were not allowed to leave our rooms unless we had to go for some emergency medical care and this isolation was a serious strain for most of us. At that time staff would bring our mail take orders for groceries and deliver them, and deliver any packages that we received. Our contact with other people was limited to telephone or Internet video chats.

Things are loosened up a little bit now in that we get our own mail and can leave the facility to go for walks outside as long as we wear a mask or maintain a safe social distance to avoid getting infected. Visitors are still prohibited from entering our facility unless they are considered essential for providing helping care for our elderly residents. Our average age is in the upper 80s and it ranges from the mid 70s to upper 90s.

Many of our residents either don't understand the need to take precautions to avoid infection or have reached the age where they don't care since they figure their life is soon to be over with anyway. Our staff and administration do not provide any regular social interaction for us residents anymore but many residents still insist on taking their walkers and going outside and sitting next to each other so they can visit even though this would not be considered a safe procedure.

Our administration like all congregate care facilities in Minnesota is still taking considerable precautions to avoid any infections. Doors are locked. Any visitors have to self screen for temperature and wash their hands. All staff wear a mask while in the building. All the staff and residents have been tested for the coronavirus three times.

Most of the daily news seems to focus on topics that would engender stress such as the widespread social protests, reports on the status of Covid-19 cases around the country and the world, as well as the usual aspects of negative things like accidents and crime. Unfortunately with the current pandemic there are fewer healthy distractions and opportunities for positive social interaction. Professional sports and concerts are extremely limited and things like parties or dining out are considered very dangerous and generally not available.

So this begs the question of how are we going to manage our isolation and anxiety over the pandemic which is apt to persist for many more months and perhaps longer for those of us that will be considered at high risk for complications.

So how are you managing things? Maybe we can share some hints to try help each other.
    Last edited by drz; 08-05-2020 at 03:43 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Masha, Alysia, JeanMarie, Aneinu liked this post