Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping with stress on current pandemic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coping with stress on current pandemic

I think most of our forum members here are considered at a higher risk for having a severe case of Covid-19 than most people in the general population. Most of us probably live in a country which has not done an outstanding job in managing the pandemic too. There are some countries that seem to have done a pretty exemplary job in managing the pandemic but I don't think we have many members on the forum from those countries.

For me the greatest sources of stress from the current pandemic is the anxiety I have about catching the virus and having to go through intubation again where my prognosis is not very good. And also if one is lucky enough to survive there is a high likelihood of having further serious damage to various organs in our body.

The other daily source of stress is from the necessary self isolation in order to try avoid catching the virus in the first place. Having a suppressed immune system has required me to take more precautions from developing frequent infections. I also have developed allergic reaction to several types of antibiotics which can make treating them more complicated.

I live in rural Minnesota in a senior housing complex that has a nursing home, assisted living, hospice, and light assisted living area which is the most independent part and where I currently reside. Minnesota did not do a very good job initially in protecting people in nursing homes and other congregate care facilities and over 80% of our deaths in the state happened in these facilities. They then improved their efforts and reduced the death rate down to about 30% occurring in the congregate care facilities. The death rates of also decreased somewhat as a percentage of our population which is encouraging for our safety. But it might almost mean that more younger people are getting infected as the virus spreads more.

Our facility like most nursing homes and congregate care facilities and most businesses has been essentially locked down for several months. Initially we were not allowed to leave our rooms unless we had to go for some emergency medical care and this isolation was a serious strain for most of us. At that time staff would bring our mail take orders for groceries and deliver them, and deliver any packages that we received. Our contact with other people was limited to telephone or Internet video chats.

Things are loosened up a little bit now in that we get our own mail and can leave the facility to go for walks outside as long as we wear a mask or maintain a safe social distance to avoid getting infected. Visitors are still prohibited from entering our facility unless they are considered essential for providing helping care for our elderly residents. Our average age is in the upper 80s and it ranges from the mid 70s to upper 90s.

Many of our residents either don't understand the need to take precautions to avoid infection or have reached the age where they don't care since they figure their life is soon to be over with anyway. Our staff and administration do not provide any regular social interaction for us residents anymore but many residents still insist on taking their walkers and going outside and sitting next to each other so they can visit even though this would not be considered a safe procedure.

Our administration like all congregate care facilities in Minnesota is still taking considerable precautions to avoid any infections. Doors are locked. Any visitors have to self screen for temperature and wash their hands. All staff wear a mask while in the building. All the staff and residents have been tested for the coronavirus three times.

Most of the daily news seems to focus on topics that would engender stress such as the widespread social protests, reports on the status of Covid-19 cases around the country and the world, as well as the usual aspects of negative things like accidents and crime. Unfortunately with the current pandemic there are fewer healthy distractions and opportunities for positive social interaction. Professional sports and concerts are extremely limited and things like parties or dining out are considered very dangerous and generally not available.

So this begs the question of how are we going to manage our isolation and anxiety over the pandemic which is apt to persist for many more months and perhaps longer for those of us that will be considered at high risk for complications.

So how are you managing things? Maybe we can share some hints to try help each other.
    Last edited by drz; 08-05-2020 at 03:43 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Masha, Alysia, JeanMarie, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coping with stress on current pandemic

Yep it's the isolation that is the kicker to this. Fine when you have a family around you (well..maybe hahahaha) but not so fine when you're locked down for a reason you don't understand to protect you from something you can't see. Many people either don't understand technology enough to be able to make use of it to alleviate isolation or simply don't have access to it. I managed fine but then I have loud music that I love and technology all around me.

But...one of the best things that I did for myself that anyone can do is stop looking at the news or find a news source that doesn't highlight the rubbish and peddle misinformation and panic. Soon as I stopped the media rubbish I started to feel better. I read recently that without the media, 90% of our problems wouldn't exist. I tend to think that the intent of this is correct - if not the statistic. The media feeds on fear - it's how they sell ads. Ads make money. Scared people click. Cha-ching. Sorry...I rant hahaha.

That's my number one tip anyway
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

4. Likes Masha, drz, Alysia, me2, Keith, DStaelens, Ljj, Peter Marsham liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear DrZ,

Thank you for sharing your feelings. I understand and I care.

I copy parts from post that I wrote on facebook:

The worst thing for me during the pandemic is to find out how selfish and uncaring to the others so many people can be.

It just makes me MAD to hear people counting lives by statistics or saying that those who died from covid19 were already old or sick. The old and the sick deserves to live and a decent society MUST protect them. ALL LIVES ARE SACRED.

It shocks me when so called "pro life"/ christians/ practicing jewish/ people of faith - dismiss the obligation of the society to protect the vulnerable.

I feel like the world is split into 2 groups: on the one side are the sick, the old and those who care for them (THANK YOU MY WEGGIES FRIENDS, I LOVE YOU) and on the other side are the young and healthy people. And a deep abyss split between the two sides.

The pandemic is very bad in Israel now. More then 60,000 cases in a tiny country, more then 2000 cases per day and peoole are dying EVERY DAY. The disgusting media dismisses the dead. Except from a case in which the family told the story of a teacher in a kindergarden who was infected by a child that his selfish parents sent to the garden eventhough they should have kept him in quarantin.

Maybe a society like that deserves to get a pandemic. Although it doesn't seem that they have learned any lesson.

People who died from covid19 are not just statistical numbers. They have faces, names, life stories, families. May they rest in peace.

And the disgusting selfish gov. does nothing. They prioritize the economy although it is stupid to think that the economy can florish while the virus is around and in so many numbers.

It is not only not caring about the old, the sick and the dying but also about the medical teams who will be soon collapsing.

And what also bothers me is to find out how ANGRY I am.

I wouldn't mind dying from the covid19 but I would do everything not to risk my old parents or my kids who needs me daily.

Our only hope is in The Lord, maker of heaven and earth.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

6. Likes drz, Masha, me2, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the last few days as the pandemic is growing in crazy numbers and the **** gov. does nothing, my WG has reacted to the stress. Eventhough I should now be "covered" by rtx and 10mg arava, while tapering down the pred, the switch from 7mg to 6 mg was tough: eyes has become red again, nose bleedings, joints pains and coughing again. I upped the pred back to 7mg and nebulized budezon. Today is the second day. I hope it can stop the wg from acting up more.
    Last edited by Alysia; 07-27-2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: I wrote a curse about the gov. Then checked if the site changed it. It didnt so I did.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What helps me to endure ? Only my Faith.

I pray every morning and during the day when things are too much to bear. I also watch daily livestream Mass and also reflections on the readings which are accompanied by stroll and chat with videos of the sunrises over the sea of Galille, here: https://www.facebook.com/experiencemagdala/
    Alysia
    dx 2008

9. Likes Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found these emails helpful to me.

As a member of our free COVID-19 patient support program, you're the first to receive our newest coronavirus information and resources.

If you know others who are living with a chronic condition and will benefit from important coronavirus updates, community, and support, email them about this program or share it on social media. Let them know we're all in this together.

We welcome you to email us at [email protected] with any feedback about this program or email.

Get Free Coronavirus Support for Chronic Illness Patients

Join the Global Healthy Living Foundation’s free COVID-19 Support Program for chronic illness patients and their families. We will be providing updated information, community support, and other resources tailored specifically to your health and safety. Join now.

11. Likes andrew, me2, Alysia, Keith, JeanMarie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Vasculitis Foundation has an educational Webinar tonight geared for us. You can register at their web site.

https://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/

This is a reminder that "VF Road to Wellness Webinar: A COVID-19 Update" will begin in 1 Day on:
    Tue, Aug 4, 2020 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM CDT

Lot of good info presented. They will have more to address the rest of questions.
    Last edited by drz; 08-05-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: followup

13. Likes Masha, mishb, Alysia, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I am still here. Finally had my Rituxin infusion on Monday. Due to covid, my doctor retiring and establishing with a new doctor, I was two months overdue. I get them every six months, and I will admit the last month was pretty rough with the joint and muscle pain.
    I can cope with our ‘Twilight Zone’ world by not watching the news. Switch from one station to another and they are as different as night and day. Some people only watch what they want to hear. I say ratings = $$$ and that is what it is all about.
    I am lucky that I have my husband and two dogs to keep me company and stay positive. Creative cooking has kept me busy. Sometimes a little too creative. I made Cajun cream chicken over fettuccine- too much Cajun and not enough cream- whew. My poor husband didn’t want to complain for fear of getting cut off from his food source.
    My indoor herb garden is a wonderful project. I have a dozen herbs under a grow light and they are thriving.
    Another thing I have been doing is reading. I have an out of state membership to one of the largest libraries in the country. Wonderful not to spend money on a one time only book. Just download it on to the kindle and read. Recently, I have selected books on subjects we are all familiar with, the devastation of WWII. Reading about that can give you areal wake up call about our lives today.
    Our tiny white lights all over the main part of the house set a mood to transport us to another place. The other evening a neighbor’s gentle German Shepherd followed our dogs inside. Actually it was my tiny dogs chasing the Shepherd. The neighbor stuck his head in to call the dog and couldn’t figure out what the lights were all about. My husband said he probably thought we were having a seance. No, I am not a witch, and I can’t talk to the dead! But this subject proved to make interesting phone conversations. If you could talk to someone, who would it be. No one got maudlin. But the best answer I heard was, JIMMY HOFFA! Who would you talk to and why? Don’t get serious on me, let it bring you a laugh. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff I heard.
    Keep your chin up. Like everything else in life, this chaos will pass and the sun will shine again.
    Masha

15. Likes Pete, drz, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I think most of our forum members here are considered at a higher risk for having a severe case of Covid-19 than most people in the general population. Most of us probably live in a country which has not done an outstanding job in managing the pandemic too. There are some countries that seem to have done a pretty exemplary job in managing the pandemic but I don't think we have many members on the forum from those countries.

For me the greatest sources of stress from the current pandemic is the anxiety I have about catching the virus and having to go through intubation again where my prognosis is not very good. And also if one is lucky enough to survive there is a high likelihood of having further serious damage to various organs in our body.

The other daily source of stress is from the necessary self isolation in order to try avoid catching the virus in the first place. Having a suppressed immune system has required me to take more precautions from developing frequent infections. I also have developed allergic reaction to several types of antibiotics which can make treating them more complicated.

I live in rural Minnesota in a senior housing complex that has a nursing home, assisted living, hospice, and light assisted living area which is the most independent part and where I currently reside. Minnesota did not do a very good job initially in protecting people in nursing homes and other congregate care facilities and over 80% of our deaths in the state happened in these facilities. They then improved their efforts and reduced the death rate down to about 30% occurring in the congregate care facilities. The death rates of also decreased somewhat as a percentage of our population which is encouraging for our safety. But it might almost mean that more younger people are getting infected as the virus spreads more.

Our facility like most nursing homes and congregate care facilities and most businesses has been essentially locked down for several months. Initially we were not allowed to leave our rooms unless we had to go for some emergency medical care and this isolation was a serious strain for most of us. At that time staff would bring our mail take orders for groceries and deliver them, and deliver any packages that we received. Our contact with other people was limited to telephone or Internet video chats.

Things are loosened up a little bit now in that we get our own mail and can leave the facility to go for walks outside as long as we wear a mask or maintain a safe social distance to avoid getting infected. Visitors are still prohibited from entering our facility unless they are considered essential for providing helping care for our elderly residents. Our average age is in the upper 80s and it ranges from the mid 70s to upper 90s.

Many of our residents either don't understand the need to take precautions to avoid infection or have reached the age where they don't care since they figure their life is soon to be over with anyway. Our staff and administration do not provide any regular social interaction for us residents anymore but many residents still insist on taking their walkers and going outside and sitting next to each other so they can visit even though this would not be considered a safe procedure.

Our administration like all congregate care facilities in Minnesota is still taking considerable precautions to avoid any infections. Doors are locked. Any visitors have to self screen for temperature and wash their hands. All staff wear a mask while in the building. All the staff and residents have been tested for the coronavirus three times.

Most of the daily news seems to focus on topics that would engender stress such as the widespread social protests, reports on the status of Covid-19 cases around the country and the world, as well as the usual aspects of negative things like accidents and crime. Unfortunately with the current pandemic there are fewer healthy distractions and opportunities for positive social interaction. Professional sports and concerts are extremely limited and things like parties or dining out are considered very dangerous and generally not available.

So this begs the question of how are we going to manage our isolation and anxiety over the pandemic which is apt to persist for many more months and perhaps longer for those of us that will be considered at high risk for complications.

So how are you managing things? Maybe we can share some hints to try help each other.
    Hey drz, how are things going there now? How is it by you?

My son lives in a place where everyone is living their life as pre COVID days, for better or for worse, after being locked up for three months, he left the stress behind. Not to say that we are not concerned.

Crazy world now where even with today's technology there is still tons of misinformation out there. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I just have trouble believing anything.

Everyone should be well and safe, Godspeed!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aneinu View Post
    Hey drz, how are things going there now? How is it by you?

My son lives in a place where everyone is living their life as pre COVID days, for better or for worse, after being locked up for three months, he left the stress behind. Not to say that we are not concerned.

Crazy world now where even with today's technology there is still tons of misinformation out there. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I just have trouble believing anything.

Everyone should be well and safe, Godspeed!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Behaving like there is no covid - doesn't mean that it is not there. Worse - it only causes more spread of it due to not caring.

Israel is in a huge problem now because of this kind of attitude: they have opened up almost everything and now we are almost 130,000 cases and 1000 deaths in a tiny crowded country. The hospitals announced that they are on the edge of collapsing which means that also other kind of patients will not be able to get any treatment.

It is not about ones's own life. It is about each and every one of us having responsibility for the others, not to infect them, and not to bring the health system to collapse.

And I dont count people lives by statistics. People are dying here every day. Each one has a name, face, family, life history. Each one deserves to be protected and to live. Each one is precious in the eyes of The Lord.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

18. Likes Aneinu, Pete, Masha liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast