Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Dexamethasone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dexamethasone

As a side note to this drug they are using to treat covid-19 patients, I must add my late brother in law was on this in the late 60’s early 70’s. His was Decadron. It was to treat his RA. He was a young man, if he were alive he would be in his 90’s. He was 18 years older than my husband. This was before I was in the picture and my husband can’t recall the dosage. We figure it was high, because he developed an ulcer that perforated and ended his life.
    I don’t know what other medication he was on, but we all know that the side effects of these steroids are bad. I am again trying to work my prednisone down, without causing other problems. When I was at 15 mg prednisone my sugar was at 9. Now that my prednisone is at 9 1/2 my sugar fell to 6.
    My poor husband worries about me being on a steroid, and with good reason. We are anxiously awaiting Avacopan.

2. Likes andrew, Alysia, Pete, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dexamethasone

Way to go on the Pred reduction

Just been reading about Avacopan. Looks positive!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

4. Likes Alysia, Masha, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dexamethasone

My GPA doctor said they would use this drug (Dexamethasone) for treatment if I got Covid-19.

He also doubled one of my GERD meds (famotidine) since a recent study suggested it might help prevent Covid-19 or reduce risk of death in people taking it. I was taking it once a day for GERD but now will take twice a day.

It is cheap and has very few side effects so is consider a very safe drug today to take. But then lot of other similar drugs end up getting puled when they learn something new about it. I was taken off Ranitidine recently after having it prescribed last year as a safer alternative.

DrZ
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post