User Tag List

Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Tinnitus, how can I cope with this symptom?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tinnitus, how can I cope with this symptom?

I am fairly new to this illness, I was diagnosed recently. I just had my first dose of Rituxan on Monday and am on a reducing course of prednisone. I did a week of 60 mg pred, then 2 weeks of 30mg, now on 2 weeks of 25. Most of my symptoms have somewhat improved, my most severe one at the time of diagnosis being sensorineural hearing loss and constant middle ear leakage. However, after the 2nd week on 30 mg of prednisone I felt the tinnitus was getting worse again after a big initial improvement. Some of my head and ear pain is coming back.

I know tinnitus is just one of those things doctors really don't know much about and I'm hesitant to see if I should up my pred dosage due to it, because eventually I need to get off pred and if it's only going to help the tinnitus temporarily it's not worth it. Ive also had an MRI that was normal (other than sinus inflammation) so I wonser if my head and ear pain is just nerve damage that cant be fixed.

I guess I'm looking for support and advice as this symptom has been so hard on me emotionally. It is unlike any pain or discomfort I've felt (and believe me, Ive had some!) and I feel I just can't get used it, it has just overtaken my life. The depression and anxiety from it is so bad. I felt I was doing better with it for a while and this increase seems worse than even before beginning pred. It could be I'm getting some emotional side effects from the pred and thats making it harder for me to deal with it. After my first infusion I've also being feeling very tired, achey, and "off."

If your suffer from tinnitus because of GPA, how did you learn to cope with it? I go to therapy, meditate, try to take walks, try to fit in activities I enjoy, but nothing helps. Ive had it for 5 months now and was hoping I'd be used to it by now. I already got hearing aids and those seemed to help initially but now they don't make too much of a difference. My hearing has really improved, which makes it all the more puzzling why the tinnitus got worse.
    Last edited by Solose; 03-15-2020 at 01:00 PM.