I had to go to the ER this past Sunday evening. I had fallen off a low step stool on Friday and glanced off a drain pipe on the way down. I think I bruised the ribs on my left side. Saturday and most of Sunday, I controlled the pain pretty well with tylenol. However, Sunday evening the pain ratcheted up as did my BP and pulse. I was also having difficulty breathing. I called 911 and was transported to OSU Medical Center.

The EMTs were both wearing masks and gloves. The inside of the ambulance was spotless. Upon arrival at OSU, I was immediately taken to an examining room in the ER. It had been sanitized since its last use. I never saw anyone’s full face.

I was given Zofran (for nausea) and dilaudid (for pain). I had several blood tests, a chest x-ray, and a CT scan. Fortunately, the imaging showed no injury from the fall, but the scan showed some anomalies in my kidneys (cystic foci). I have stage 3 kidney disease, but this is a new wrinkle. I had a good follow-up with my PCP on Tuesday, and he has referred me to a nephrologist.

From the time the EMTs arrived at my home until I returned was about four hours. I felt safe and was glad to see all COVID-19 protocols followed.

I hope all this is in the rear view mirror so we can go to the beach in a couple weeks.