Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

I think my GPA was smoldering before the Covid 19 vaccine checked it into a more serious flare. I had never been able to get back to my basic maintenance meds of 5 mg of prednisone after a couple of hospital stays for pneumonia. The 60 mg of prednisone seems to have eliminated any nosebleeds and clots in my sinus rinse as well as getting rid of the inflamed eyelids which required me to take Restasis meds a couple times a day. My overall muscle aches and pains and sore joints also improved greatly although I still have some pain in one hip which may or may not be related to the GPA flare.

I hope after I finish the rituximab treatment I will be able to get back to a more stable drug induced remission. I would also like to get tested to see if I developed any immunity to the Covid 19 virus after getting both Moderna shots.

I wonder how many people with autoimmune disorders were pushed into a flare or exacerbation of their autoimmune disorder.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Masha, chrisTIn@, shankxonline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I are going on a road trip tomorrow. We’ve been home bound since the virus began but a grandson is graduating high school in Texas. This will be over 2000 miles round trip. It’s scary but I think that it’s time.

4. Likes Pete, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many people have been tested after the Covid-19 vaccination's to find out if they developed adequate protection tool Covid-19? How important is it for us to do so? Any information on how valid these tests are for us?

MAY 12, 2021

Study suggests rituximab associated with impaired serological response to COVID-19 vaccination in patients with rheumatic diseases

Rituximab, but not other antirheumatic therapies, was associated with impaired serological response to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination in patients with rheumatic diseases, according to a study published in Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.
    “There is a paucity of data on the effect of antirheumatic drugs on serological responses to COVID-19 vaccines. Anti-CD20 therapies deplete B-cells, with reconstitution often not beginning for 6–9 months after infusion, resulting in diminished humoral immune responsiveness to recall antigens,” wrote Robert Spiera, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York, and colleagues.
    For the study, researchers retrospectively analysed data of 89 adult patients from one rheumatology practice who had received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine. All patients had a clinic visit from February 24 to April 8, 2021 and were serologically screened for antibodies to the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 Spike protein.
    Of the patients, 83 (93.26%) had received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine at the time of immunoassay. Further, 30 patients (34%) were treated with rituximab, while 35 patients (39%) were taking more than one antirheumatic medication at time of assessment.
    Among patients treated with rituximab, the median time from the last rituximab exposure to the time of immunoassay was 212 days, whereas the median time from the last rituximab exposure to the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine was 167 days.
    Overall, 68 patients had a positive antibody response and 21 had a negative antibody response. Most of the patients with serologically negative results were patients using rituximab (20/21), with the only other serologically negative patient having been treated with belimumab.
    Among rituximab users, the researchers found that those with a positive serological response had a longer time from the last rituximab exposure to receipt of first COVID-19 vaccine dose compared with those with a negative response (median, 704.5 days [interquartile range {IQR} 540–1,035] vs 98 [IQR 64-164) days]; P < 0.001). Further, among 11 rituximab-treated patients with data available for B-cell reconstitution, 4 were serologically negative and 7 were serologically positive. The median percentage of B-cells among those with negative serological response was 0 (IQR 0–0.15), while the percentage among those with positive serological response was 4 (IQR 1.2–10).
    “In this study, all patients who did not demonstrate a positive serological response had been treated with rituximab, with the exception of one patient that was treated with belimumab, another B-cell targeting strategy,” the authors noted. “Longer duration from most recent rituximab exposure was associated with a greater likelihood of response. The results suggest that time from last rituximab exposure is an important consideration in maximising the likelihood of a serological response, but this likely is related to the substantial variation in the period of B-cell depletion following rituximab … Confirming B-cell reconstitution before vaccination may increase the likelihood of a positive serological response.”
    “These data, if confirmed in larger cohorts, could have important clinical implications regarding timing of vaccination in rituximab exposed patients. In communities with limited access to COVID-19 vaccines, confirming B-cell reconstitution prior to vaccine administration may be prudent,” the authors added.

Reference: https://ard.bmj.com/content/early/20...is-2021-220604

SOURCE: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases

Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have started re-entering the world. My wife and I took a road trip to Dallas and Houston to see children. We stayed in hotels, ate IN restaurants, and hugged people.
    Since coming back, I’m getting antsy to go out and mingle in public. Before the pandemic, we participated in a couple of folk music sing arounds. Since March of 2020, all the singing has been on Zoom.
    It reminds me of a lyric:

What good is sitting alone In your room?
    Come hear the music play.
    Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
    Come to the Cabaret.

8. Likes chrisTIn@, Peter Marsham liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    ... Confirming B-cell reconstitution before vaccination may increase the likelihood of a positive serological response.”
    “These data, if confirmed in larger cohorts, could have important clinical implications regarding timing of vaccination in rituximab exposed patients. In communities with limited access to COVID-19 vaccines, confirming B-cell reconstitution prior to vaccine administration may be prudent,” the authors added.

Reference: https://ard.bmj.com/content/early/20...is-2021-220604

SOURCE: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases

Anyone found answer to the question of what B-cell levels (aka IGG levels?) doctors are thinking are good of when to take the C-19 vaccine? Its all new but would love to hear what folks are hearing from their doctors about timing of taking C-19 vaccine between Rtx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Middlesista View Post
    Hi folks- From the reading I have been doing have not come across anyone who has received the Covid vaccine and on Rituxin even with proper timing to have a positive result in the testing for the antibody test for the spike proteins or the nucleocapsid protein. Wondering if anyone here has tested positive and also if not what are the next steps planned? Thanks!
    My last dose of Rituxan I think was a couple years ago and I have since been on Cellcept, 1000mg/day. So it's been a while since my last Rituxan dose, but, for what it's worth, I did a have what I understand to be a a low-level response with a spike RBD antibody test.

I thought the vaccines only produced antibodies to the spike protein, not the nucleocapsid protein.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got vaccinated in January, had Rituxamab treatment in February. I just scheduled my next treatment for August. I was hoping to get information regarding booster shots by now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News:
    “The Food and Drug Administration is poised to amend the emergency use authorizations for the Pfizer and the Moderna Covid-19 vaccines Thursday to allow people with compromised immune systems to get a third dose, according to two sources familiar with the plans.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...eople-n1276602

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a breakthrough COVID-19 survivor. My husband and I were both vaccinated in February/March. In July we went to visit some of my college friends in Iowa. I checked before to make sure everyone had been vaccinated. The couple we stayed with had been to a church camp the week before where they must have been exposed, but didn’t have any symptoms till the last day of our visit. We left immediately, but began to have symptoms a couple days later. My friend has Rheumatoid arthritis. So we felt lousy for about a week with typical symptoms. The next week was better, but we still were lower energy than normal. Now my husband is mostly back to normal and tested negative 4 days ago. I tested positive still. Today is day #20 and I hope I am no longer contagious. I will still wear a mask around others. Maybe forever!! So glad we were vaccinated when we got it!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

14. Likes Dirty Don, John S, Masha, DStaelens, woz, J@$0N, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I tested positive this morning and hope to get through it without too many complications. My rheumatologist is calling in the antibody treatment, but having to wait for availability. I’m right at 1 month away from next rituxan infusion.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast