Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    I guess the World Health Org should have listened to Bill. I have always felt that the WHO did little good for the world and wasn't more than a puppet organization. It really is a world issue and not one than can be or should be solved by one country. However, the US can and I hope do open their eyes a bit and start processes to help with future pandemics. Imagine if this had been biological warfare? We are totally unprepared. I wonder if South Korea did so amazingly well because they were afraid of N. Korea using biological warfare and were prepared for such an event?
    I read that Taiwan did well in handling the pandemic because they were excluded from WHO and didn't get their false info down playing the seriousness of the Covid-19.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure hope scientists around the world will work together to develope a vaccine against SARS COV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.
    And that in the future, we will never forget how vulnerable we are for contagious diseases, which can easily be spread in our 'globalized' world, where most people travel more than ever before.

We, as GPA/Wegs-patiënts, can only be vaccinated by a 'dead' vaccin, I think?
    I guess it will be the same as with the flu-vaccination. It cannot be a 'live'-vaccin, when you are immune-compromised.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

4. Likes Masha, drz, annekat, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Anne, are you still making pottery? Has this had an effect on your business?
    Hi, Masha, and thanks for asking. Yes, the virus has had a huge effect, completely out of my control. After 2.5 months of the expected slow business on Saturdays at the Olympia Farmers Market, I was looking forward to the opening of regular Market season in April, 4 days a week, though I only sell on two. Then on March 17 came notification that crafters, with the exception of soap makers, cannot sell at the Market until further notice. It's been scaled back in other ways, too; no entertainment, takeout only from the food concessions, no picnic tables, etc. So plenty of social distancing mapped out for the essential farmers and other food products. I expect this to last until at least mid-June, well into peak season.
    So, I'm pretty down in the dumps over this, but trying to stay positive as we vendors are banding together for support and ideas for selling online and such. I have a lot of other things to work on in my life and around my house, so have put pottery on the back burner for the last 3 weeks. Need to get back into it soon, though, in preparation for future sales taking place. It will all work out somehow.
    Anne

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

6. Likes Masha, Pete, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, what do we Weggies do until a vaccine comes out? From the sounds of it that could be a year away, if then. A doctor in Santa Clara, CA said that eventually this virus will hit all of us.
    At some point we must see our doctors, have our blood work and infusions. And then there are those of you still working.
    How are you all planning to getting back to the new normal? I don’t plan on putting myself in bad crowded situations, but I am not comfortable with that being enough.
    Please share your thoughts with me. I am already beginning to worry about getting the necessary medical treatments we require.
    Rode my bike to the liquor store. Bought a bottle of Wild Turkey. Put it in the basket. Then thought if I fell off my bike it would break. So I drank it in the parking lot. Good thing I did, because I fell off my bike seven times on the way home. Just kidding.
    I am not bored staying home. Always things to do. Just wondering why one bag of rice had 7458 grains and another had 7,329. Just kidding again.
    Masha
    Last edited by Masha; 04-08-2020 at 06:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good jokes, Masha. We need a lot of humor right now. You had me going for a minute about the bike and the Wild Turkey.
    I wonder the same things you do. Seems all we can do is play it by ear, one day at a time. I hadn't heard what the California doctor said that you mentioned. That is sobering. I have enormous respect for Dr. Fauci, and if he says that, I will probably take it pretty seriously. But this is all so new, even the best docs don't know for sure what is likely to happen. Hang in there, wishing you and your husband the very best.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

9. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW! It is 7:25 here and Dr. Birx just mentioned ‘vasculitis ‘. She said Dr. Fauci started the Wegeners study. Did you hear me screaming?

11. Likes annekat, Dirty Don, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW! It is 7:25 here and Dr. Birx just mentioned ‘vasculitis ‘. She said Dr. Fauci started the Wegeners study. Did you hear me screaming?
    Yes, I felt you screaming. I have known about this for awhile and consider him a lifesaver for those of us diagnosed before 2011, when Rituxin became approved and available for use. He and an associate pioneered the use of Cytoxan along with prednisone to treat Weggies and greatly extend our projected lifespans. Before that, we were expected to live no more than 5 years after diagnosis. I was dx'ed on the cusp, in early 2011, and I got Cytoxan. It's an ugly drug but not as bad as living only 5 years. I'm glad I got it, it worked fast, I've been on methotrexate ever since, and I don't want to go through the hassle of RTX if I can possibly help it. Look him up on Wikipedia, I think our disease is mentioned. It's very cool that Dr. Birx mentioned vasculitis. I wasn't going to watch today but now I will catch the recap.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

13. Likes Masha, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AS long as Trump doesn't get Americans to hoard Rituxin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    AS long as Trump doesn't get Americans to hoard Rituxin
    It’s too pricey to hoard at upwards of $20,000 per dose...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

16. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you all planning to getting back to the new normal?
    It is hard to say what the new normal will be. We 'l have to wait and see for a while, I guess.
    In Europe the number of new Covid-19 cases is decreasing, but it is apparantly too early to change the rules for society.
    I just read today that keeping a distance of about six feet is n't enough when you are walking, running or riding a bike.
    Investigators of European university's say that salvia-droplets that spread when someone coughs can travel a long way.
    So a distance of 5 meters or three miles would be better when walking, and for biking or running even more!
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

18. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast