Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

You guys are all keeping me sane. It takes a disease like ours to know we must be extra careful. I am such a worrier. Already worrying about doctors appointments in June and July.
    My Duke rheumatologist is retiring. She called in my scrips. Found a doctor here in Charlotte, apt in July. I will need more meds by then, don’t know if a new doctor will do a video appointment. See, I am already worried about July.
    Thinking about that elevator thing. Endocrinologist on 7th floor. Infusion on 9th.
    I’ve been putting all my energy into cooking and baking and then overeating.
    Today my refrigerator said to me “What the hell do you want now?”
    And then there are my dogs. Ever wonder why your dog gets so excited about a walk or a ride in the car. Today I understood how they feel-found myself barking at a squirrel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's terrible that a virus has crippled the world, leading to countless instances of financial ruin, suicide, and sickness/death itself from the virus itself. Without a vaccine this isn't going away on its own. We are just getting started with this.

An interesting documentary on this virus. Draw your own conclusions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMJ0EmMfb3U
    Last edited by richard052018; 04-13-2020 at 02:33 AM.

3. Likes Alysia, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone now is doing what most of us have been doing all along... social distance, keep hands clean, not touch anything.
    In a way, it's good for us immune-suppressed when everyone around us is wearing a mask, keeping hands clean, and not touching anything.
    Catching this virus could be deadly for us, but at least everyone is careful.
    I will not be worried about wearing a mask from now on when I head outside.

5. Likes annekat, me2, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a couple of sewing artists who aren't currently allowed to sell at our farmers market who are making well fitted masks out of double layers of beautiful fabrics, so they are reversible. At least one of them leaves a pocket between the two layers, where a layer of interfacing may be inserted and replaced. Interfacing is a sewing accessory used for stiffening a part of a clothing item, such as a collar, to give it more body and substance. It is a synthetic mesh fabric something like a coffee filter but a bit thicker, and works well as a respiratory filter. Just an idea for people wanting to make their own masks and maybe produce them to donate or sell. The one that I know uses a filter of interfacing sells hers online for $20 or two for $35.
    I forgot to mention that fabric stores are probably mostly closed, so either you'd use supplies already on hand or you'd order things online. A coffee filter could probably work as a filter, though I think interfacing would be better in the long run.

Anne

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by annekat; 04-16-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

7. Likes chrisTIn@, Alysia, freakyschizogirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    A coffee filter could probably work as a filter, though I think interfacing would be better in the long run.

Anne

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

In case you 're looking for a quick instruction...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

9. Likes drz, John S, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slight change of subject here, but still germain...

I’m a month overdue on my routine labs. I go to one of OSU’s satellite health centers to have samples drawn. Their system involves registering at a central office (usually about a dozen registrars who verify the lab order, print labels for the sample containers, print a wristband for me, and handle any co-pay. From there, I go back to the lab, check in, wait (usually less than 10 minutes), and then see a phlebotomist to have samples drawn. Afterward, it’s out to the parking lot on on with the rest of the day’s festivities.

I was planning to go to the lab today (as was my wife who has autoimmune hepatitis), but my son suggested I call Dr Villa Forte’s office before heading out. Here is the guidance she gave me:
    1. Since I feel fine, wait another month (she’s monitoring my kidney function as I have stage 3 kidney disease).
    2. Call the lab directly to find out when they are less busy.
    3. Wear a mask and follow social distancing protocols.
    4. After leaving the lab, go straight home, disrobe, and launder those clothes in warm water (temp>77F).

Just wanted to take the opportunity to share what I learned today. Be safe and well, my friends.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

11. Likes Masha, John S, drz, me2, Keith, richard052018, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice everyone wearing a mask; makes us immunosuppressed so much safer.

It's also kind of nice to wear a mask and not stick out like I'm about to rob a bank.

I'll wear a mask from now on, even if wearing one won't remain mandatory in the future.

I've been doing this corona drill since I contracted Wegs almost 3 years ago.

I'll bet most of us have been very careful all along; it's freaky to see now *everyone* doing what we do.

Does anyone know if a member here has contracted coronavirus?

Stay safe...

Ed.

13. Likes chrisTIn@, drz, Masha, Alysia, Keith, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seied View Post

Does anyone know if a member here has contracted coronavirus?
    Hi Ed. I haven't heard it so far.

But I am curious to know if people who read this feel safe with the precautions they take.
    Here in The Netherlands only healthcare-workers wear masks.
    The so-called 'Outbreak-Management-Team' that advices our gouvernment on current healthcare issues still does not recommend wearing masks for everybody.
    They think social distancing and frequent handwashing are more effective.

The numbers of new Covid-patients are declining at the moment, so the precautions seem to work.
    Still everybody has to stay vigilant, because the virus is still present in society.

We have partly a lock-down. Many shops are closed, so the internet here is almost exploding by all the online shopping that goes on now.
    Delivery services work overtime. They keep a safe distance when delivering a package. Often leave it at the doorstep and then take a few steps back, so there is no fysical contact.

Schools have been closed for a while, but are soon starting to re-open.
    There is evidence that children have no big part in catching and transferring the virus.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

15. Likes annekat, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are transitioning here in Minnesota. Our governor opened up some outdoor recreation like golf courses and parks but most things are still closed down. Our governor just announced a plan that two of our big Health care facilities will coordinate, U of Minnesota and Mayo clinic, and increase our daily testing 10 times over our present levels. This should help yield the information necessary to start relaxing restrictions in a more safe manner. Both have developed their own testing procedures for use with their own patients but will now expand their testing to be state wide.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...u-need-to-know

The staff in our medical facilities are wearing masks but the people I see walking by outside usually aren't. When possible medical care is done with video visits or drive thru facilities . Our local medical facility just opened a drive thru lab for lab work.

We have a low infection rate of confirmed cases in our area but our testing has also been very limited so our actual incidence is largely unknown. The estimates of infected people are probably 100 times our confirmed cases. The estimates are that our peak in cases will not happen for another month or two and any group activities will not happen till late summer or later.

Our nursing homes in town have not reported any cases so far. Two neighboring counties have reported cases and deaths in their nursing homes. My Senior Living facility is still locked down so we residents stay in our room and the staff deliver our mail and groceries and any packages to our door.

The emotional strain of restricted social contact is wearing on everyone I know. Those people living in the country with no close neighbors are able to get outside with no problems but they still have no visitors outside their household.

Many people are working from home if possible. Some people still have to go to work on a regular basis for essential services like medical care, food service, and eating places that have take out meals. Students are doing distance learning over the internet and teachers have had to learn how to do this quickly.

I am guessing things are much the same in most places but let us know how you and your area are getting along.
    Last edited by drz; 04-24-2020 at 03:27 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

17. Likes annekat, chrisTIn@, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here in Ohio, we're in pretty good shape aside from the far right's protests about the stay at home orders. Ohio State, Cleveland Clinic, and some other hospitals are beginning to coordinate testing, but it's still way short of what's needed. Nursing homes and prisons are our biggest hot spots. Some prisoners (nonviolent offenses, elderly, at risk factors) are being released.The Governor and the ACLU are at odds about who to release and how quickly.

Yesterday, the Governor and Health Department Director allowed elective surgeries and procedures to be scheduled again. There are supposed to be more details today (probably as I'm typing this) about relaxation of the stay at home order.

Personally, I do get out and walk the hiking/biking trail that goes behind my house most days. The trail is about 10 feet wide and paved. People are generally maintaining social distancing on it. I do not wear a mask when I'm out. I figure the possibilbity of a random virus taking hold in me are very remote.

Tomorrow, I'll go out and pick up groceries via curbside pickup at the grocery store. I've tried Kroger and (tomorrow) Giant Eagle. The online shopping process is pretty clunky, and I spend about as much time shopping on line as I would if I went to the store. The two pickups I've made at Kroger were a bit disappointing as the workers bringing orders to cars wore neither masks nor gloves. We wipe down packages with clorox wipes once we get them home. So far, so good.

The difficult thing for us is lack of contact with our kids and grandkids. We facetime several times a week, and my wife, the retired teacher, is helping our youngest grandkid (5yo) with letter and number recognition as we do flashcards over facetime.

Well, it looks like it's stopped raining, so I'm going out for a stroll.

Be well, and be safe everyone!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

19. Likes drz, annekat, chrisTIn@, Keith, Alysia liked this post
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast