Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

@drz

Here’s what the study gave as participants:

“Patients with vasculitis in North America were invited to complete an online survey through the Vasculitis Patient‐Powered Research Network in collaboration with the Vasculitis Foundation and the Relapsing Polychondritis Foundation. Questions focused on concerns and behaviors related to doctors’ visits, tests, medication, and telehealth use. Factors affecting their concern and health‐related behaviors were determined.
    Results

“Data from 662 patients were included: 90% of patients were White, 78% were women, 83% expressed moderate or high levels of concern about COVID‐19, and 87% reported that their vasculitis moderately or extremely affected their level of concern.”

I was one of the 662. I regularly receive surveys from the VPPRN, but only complete those that interest and apply to my case.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

2. Likes me2, drz, mishb, Geoff, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the last 4-5 days I have noticed a bad taste in my mouth and have been smelling strange things. I suspect this is related to my first shot of the Moderna vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    For the last 4-5 days I have noticed a bad taste in my mouth and have been smelling strange things. I suspect this is related to my first shot of the Moderna vaccine.
    That is not one of the typical side effects. Has any one asked you about side effects?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

5. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    How many have got their vaccination for Covid-19?
    My husband and I are still waiting to be scheduled.
    In our country healthcareworkers are vaccinated first.
    There is still much discussion about the different sorts of vaccins.
    For example: when did they have been approved? How do they have to be given (once, twice), how do they have to be stored?
    (some at very low temperature, which causes logistic problems because not every 'safe' location has freezing capacity...

So, we have to be patient, and try to stay safe, during the renewed and prolonged lockdown
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

7. Likes Masha, Geoff, Alysia, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default research so far indicates vaccine is safe

Lot of technical terms but gist of it is that vaccine is safe.

January 14, 2021

Interim analysis of early trial shows COVID-19 vaccine Ad26.COV2.S safe and immunogenic

An interim analysis of phase 1–2a trial published in The New England Journal of Medicine shows that the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccine candidate Ad26.COV2.S had an acceptable safety and reactogenicity profile and was immunogenic after a single vaccination with either the low or high dose in both younger and older adults.
    In the trial conducted at 12 centres in Belgium and the United States, 805 healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 55 years (n=402) and ages 65 years or older (n=403) were randomly assigned to receive the Ad26.COV2.S vaccine at a dose of either 5×1010 viral particles (low dose) or 1×1011 viral particles (high dose) per mililitre or placebo, administered intramuscularly, in a single-dose or two-dose schedule 56 days apart. The primary end points were the safety and reactogenicity of each dose schedule.
    After the administration of the first vaccine dose in participants in both cohorts and after the second dose among participants between the ages of 18 and 55 years, the most frequent solicited adverse events were fatigue, headache, myalgia, and injection-site pain. The most frequent systemic adverse event was fever. Systemic adverse events were less common in participants 65 years of age or older and in those who received the low vaccine dose.
    The researchers reported that the local and systemic reactions occurred on the day of immunisation or the next day and generally resolved within 24 hours. Further, the systemic reactions were very responsive to antipyretic drugs, and no need for the prophylactic use of such drugs was identified. In addition, after the second dose in the 18-to-55 age group, the incidence of grade 3 solicited systemic adverse events was much lower than that after the first immunisation in both the low-dose and high-dose groups, a finding that the researchers said contrasts with observations with respect to messenger RNA-based vaccines, for which the second dose has been associated with increased reactogenicity.
    Neutralising-antibody titres against wild-type virus were detected in 90% or more of all participants on day 29 after the first vaccine dose (geometric mean titre [GMT], 224 to 354) and reached 100% by day 57 with a further increase in titres (GMT, 288 to 488), regardless of vaccine dose or age group. The researchers found that titres remained stable until at least day 71. Further, a second dose provided an increase in the titre by a factor of 2.6 to 2.9 (GMT, 827 to 1266).
    On the other hand, spike-binding antibody responses were noted to be similar to neutralising-antibody responses. On day 14, CD4+ T-cell responses were detected in 76% to 83% of the participants in the 18-to-55 age group and in 60% to 67% of those 65 years of age or older, with a clear skewing toward type 1 helper T cells. Meanwhile, among participants in the 18-to-55 age group, CD8+ T-cell responses were detected in 51% of those in the low-dose group and in 64% in the high-dose group. Among those 65 years of age or older, CD8+ T-cell responses were lower, with an incidence of 36% in the low-dose group and 24% in the high-dose group.
    “Although all ongoing phase 3 studies of other COVID-19 vaccines have assessed two-dose schedules, a single dose of Ad26.COV2.S elicited a strong humoral response in a majority of vaccine recipients, with the presence of S-binding and neutralising antibodies in more than 90% of the participants, regardless of either age group or vaccine dose,” wrote Jerald Sadoff, MD, Janssen Vaccines and Prevention, Leiden, the Netherlands, and colleagues. “In addition, during 71 days of follow-up after the first dose, antibody titres further increased and stabilised, which suggests durability of the Ad26.COV2.S-elicited immune response.”
    “Whether a second dose will provide additional benefit for either improved efficacy or durability in humans, especially in elderly persons in whom the immune response after the first dose tended to be modestly lower than that in younger participants, is currently being studied in a phase 3 clinical trial,” the authors added.

Reference: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...=featured_home

SOURCE: The New England Journal of Medicine
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

9. Likes John S, Peter Marsham, Geoff, Masha, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: research so far indicates vaccine is safe

Thanks for the info and link, makes good bedtime reading. Am I being presumptuous in thinking 2021 may just be a tad better than that other year?
    Life lessons for all of us;

Never eat at a place called Ma’s.
    Never shoot pool with a guy called Pop.
    Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

11. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone gotten the second dose? Side affects? What was the outcome?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I have the second dose scheduled for January 28th.

14. Likes Pete, Masha, PattyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got our second dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. No side effects are apparent.

16. Likes drz, PattyL, Masha, annekat, chrisTIn@ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's GREAT!! Hopefully nothing comes up. I'm going to get my first dose today..a little nervous. Thank you for your feedback very much appreciated. Take care.

Blessings

18. Likes John S, drz, annekat liked this post
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast