Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

Richard, how did it go? Let them laugh, better to be smart than sorry.

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masha,

I got a call late Sunday night for a mandatory "ALL HANDS" call with my employer Monday AM, so I had to move the lab appointment back to Wednesday. I had to be on the call because I was wondering if I would still have a job. Thankfully I do. Sadly, some of my colleagues do not. I thought they normally laid off people on a Friday, but tomorrow is the end of the pay period, so I guess they want the boundaries to be clean. These are very hard times.

Nonetheless my gloves, goggles, mask, and Disney Rain Poncho are in the car. I like your idea of a scarf too. Thinking of putting a trash bag over the armrest of the chair they make one sit in to take blood. I know: I'm crazy.

I'll check in Wed. Afternoon.

4. Likes me2, Masha, chrisTIn@, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masha,

I dialed it down a little, just goggles and mask. Major Hand Sanitizer once back to the car. Hoping for the best. Take Care

6. Likes chrisTIn@, Masha, Alysia, annekat, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today marks 21 days of "shelter in place" for us. We have completed 4 jigsaw puzzles, watched the entire Marvelous Mrs. Maisel series and eaten all of our Twix bars.
    Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have a home to shelter. There are folks around the world that don't have these luxuries.

8. Likes annekat, me2, gilders, marta, drz, woz, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Info about the virus I found interesting and helpful

The following is forwarded from Irene Ken a physician whose daughter is an Asst. Prof of infectious diseases at John Hopkins University.

Informative medical science facts...
    In our community chat this useful excellent info helps all to avoid contagion .

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation), and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part BLEACH and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; we cannot kill what is not alive with antibiotics, but the virus quickly disintegrate its structure with everything mentioned above.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While the virus is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous material), 4 hours (copper), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). If you shake or use a feather duster on above materials, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold or air conditioners in houses and cars. Viruses also need moisture to stay stable, especially n darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade them faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object breaks down the virus protein.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat on the virus.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, help. The strongest vodka has 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE helps if it has 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* Wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* Use MOISTURISER to humidify hands which tend to be dry from so much washing. Virus molecules can hide in the micro cracks of dry hands. The thicker the moisturizer, the better. * Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.
    TAKE CARE & STAY SAFE

Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DrZ,
    please add “Stay the f@!# at home” to your list
    Last edited by John S; 04-05-2020 at 01:15 AM.

11. Likes Masha, annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying at home, and, when you have to go out to shops or pharmacy, practice social distancing certainly is the most important of all!
    In our country people are even asked not to go to national parks (a lot of the parkings have been closed).
    People that do go to the beach to take a walk are with the help of drones asked to keep at least 1,5 meter of space beteen them.
    Most people take their responsebility, but the few who don't can get fined for over 400 USD.
    Last edited by chrisTIn@; 04-05-2020 at 02:50 AM.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

13. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz, the medical info you put out is great. My husband printed it out and we are following it. John, Mrs. Maisel is hilarious, so is the song! Marta, you are right on- when someone complained to me about the pandemic, I said ‘welcome to my world.’
    Cris & Gilders, so hard to believe you are so far away, yet we all share a bond.
    I am praying none of us have a flare or even smoldering. My wonderful rheumatologist is retiring in June and I am set up to see a new one in July. Hope it is safe for infusion then. The virus is supposed to return in fall or winter and we all want to be prepared.
    My husband and I are grateful for each other and our home. What a tragedy for street people. I just heard two NY nurses committed suicide.
    We are watching Ozark on Netflix. And oh, are we eating. I need to social distance myself from my refrigerator. I am getting creative in my cooking, baking bread, made my own thousand island dressing. Making Chicago beef tomorrow. So much can be delivered and I think many people will continue their new normal after this is over. Since no one is coming in our home we are keeping our snacks in bins in the kitchen. We look like the concession stand at a movie theater.
    Anne, are you still making pottery? Has this had an effect on your business?
    I hope all of you who are still working are being extra careful. Do we have anyone from NY? I think Whatthewhat is from CA, how is it out there. The Carolinas are getting ready for their surge. Like Pete, we are old and sick, so just sheltering in place. One way not to touch your face- hold a glass of wine in each hand!
    Masha

15. Likes Pete, gilders, annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<quote>I just heard two NY nurses committed suicide.<quote\>
    I haven't heard of 2, but I did hear of one in NY, one in Milan, and one somewhere in the UK. Interestingly, all of them committed suicide because they had contracted COVID-19 and were afraid of spreading it to others. I think there must have been more going on, though, stress, exhaustion, and personal matters.

I love the idea of how to keep from touching your face. I assume beer will work instead of wine.

I saw my primary doctor exactly a month ago. He told me I'd have a difficult time surviving if I got the virus, due to my paralyzed right diaphragm. The diaphragmatic plication I underwent several years ago has given way to a degree and reduced my lung capacity to about 52%, which isn't a whole lot. Since the virus attacks lungs, it would be touch and go. But, no worries....

In the meantime, we are staying quarantined and isolated. I do try to get carry out food in order to support the local businesses and their employees. I know that puts us a slightly higher risk, but its more important to keep the economy going as much as possible.

Hope all of you are safe and healthy!

Oh, BTW, if you haven't looked at the wegs map lately, you might want to do so. It really has a bunch of stick pins in it. Also, be sure and let know of people who need candles.
    https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=242717

17. Likes Masha, woz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Budesonide in my nasal rinse. It was REALLY painful the first few times. It felt like brain freeze followed by a stinging and itchiness just under my scalp. It does seem to help a little and those side effects only happened the first few times.

Keep safe and well.[/QUOTE]
    Did you read the instructions on how to use Budesonide as a nasal rinse? You need to make a proper mix of distilled water, a saline little packet (sinus rinse) and budesonide. It is in the instructions that you receive when you get your budesonide. Sometimes I forget to add the saline packet, and like you said, when you put it inside your nose it hurts a lot. So when I prepare the mix, I make sure I include everything.

19. Likes Alysia liked this post
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast