Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coronavirus and GPA

With GPA we are susceptible to diseases like the Covid 19 Coronavirus. What special precautions against this are reasonable? As a retired person, I don’t need to interact with a workplace environment but I don’t want to isolate myself from the world.
    I am due to get another dose of RTX in the next few weeks.

2. Likes Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

The only thing they are telling people so far is to use the usual precautions you take to try avoid catching a cold or flu by avoiding close contact with people obviously ill, and to wash your hands a lot, and to try stay as healthy as you can with good diet, exercise, rest etc.

Most healthy people will survive the Coronavirus fine but those of us with another chronic illness or two, or an older age, or damage to our lungs and sinuses from GPA will most likely be at higher risk for more serious illness when we get it.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

4. Likes John S, chrisTIn@, NatriceRomeo, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very valid question. Right now I agree with drz to take the same precautions as the flu.
    My husband and I are taking a few proactive steps. We are stocking up on home supplies and non perishable food. Probably getting enough for a few months. If things get bad quickly we won’t find ourselves stressed out looking for staples.
    Since my diagnosis (we both have had previous bouts with pneumonia) during flu season we avoid places with large gatherings. Yes, it is not good for us to isolate ourselves. Living in a mild climate, a short walk with my dogs allows me to interact with neighbors. If we are going to the doctors office or store, we both wear masks and clear gloves. We go to restaurants, no masks or gloves, and try to go at times they don’t have a crowd. Yes, we could catch something there, but I don’t think it is yet the time to go to extremes. If we schedule a repairman, we stress that we are elderly and have low immune systems, so that they make sure the person is healthy.
    With this Coronavirus a person could have it for two weeks and not know it. We can only go so far without making ourselves bananas.
    I am blessed to be married to my best friend. We never run out of conversation or find ourselves bored. Movie theatre can easily be replaced with TV services, small groups are safer than large. If we really get shut in, he will teach me to play chess and I will teach him to cook. Church is on the back burner but prayers are on the forefront.
    Masha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Rituxin treatment yesterday. Dr. Villa Forte reminded me that I’ll be very susceptible for the next three weeks. My wife and I will be self-isolating. Lots of books, Netflix, YouTube guitar lessons and if the weather warms up, bicycle.

7. Likes Pete, drz, Masha, Keith, chrisTIn@, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My internist told me yesterday that with my health issues; diabetes, older age, GPA, several recent episodes of pneumonia, lung and kidney damage from diabetes and GPA, and a suppressed immune system from AZA; I am a poster child for highest risk for serious illness from coronavirus. And I should avoid any unnecessary social contact. So no more group activities or shopping in stores. I will use the drive thru window to pick up some medical supplies today.

I live in a senior housing complex where the average age is mid to high 80's and most of us also have various health issues. Most of the deaths in Washington State were at a nursing home where they had a Mardi Gras party to spread the virus. Not a wise move to expose such a vulnerable population to the coronavirus. Our facility is still allowing visitors and our schools are still open but expect this might change quickly once the virus is detected in our community. Or when some one decides to get more serious about protecting our vulnerable populations.

The Virus has been detected near my area but not yet in my community but our state has moved to many cancellations and precautions like limiting attendance to basketball tournament games to 90 people and cancelling many other games that were scheduled. High school basketball tournaments are big deal in Minnesota as they are in colleges too so cancelling all these sporting events is a serious undertaking. And so far our state is not a hot spot for the virus infections. The pro sports are giving up millions everyday so it is a big deal.

The sad thing is that the USA despite having one of the world's best health care systems is apparently among the worst at being prepared for the virus containment since South Korea tested more people in one day than the whole USA has tested since the virus was first detected. And we had several weeks to prepare but we couldn't even develop an accurate testing procedure. For some unknown and strange reason we did not want to use the testing procedures used by WHO for the rest of the world. Our hospitals are very concerned about being overwhelmed and are taking steps to postpone any elective procedures.

It is also amazing and very scary on how fast our lives have changed from the pandemic. One interesting tidbit is the lack of toilet paper and hand sanitizers for sale anywhere in town. The shelves are empty for these items.
    Last edited by drz; 03-14-2020 at 12:07 AM.

9. Likes Masha, John S, Keith, Aneinu, Randy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz

The lack of preparedness in the US is terrifying, especially considering what's going on in "first world" nations like Italy. As for myself, I've got about 6 weeks of food/supplies (yes, including toilet paper) and have no plans to leave the house after the next day or two (beyond shuttling my child wherever she needs to be). My employer has approved the telework. After 6 weeks if the shelves are empty it will be like the Cormac McCarthy novel/movie "The Road" anyhow.

I don't know what to expect or how vulnerable I am to this illness (doubt any of us truly know). I'm in my mid 40s, no real health issues of concern before GPA. The pred has put weight on me (I can't get below 8mg without issues: diagnosed 2 years ago). RTX I hear is h3ll on the immune system. They say 50-70% of the population will be infected with a 1-3% death rate (concentrated on the elderly and those with immune system issues), so I'm sadly preparing for the worst.

I'm myself am not worried about dying (if anything, it would relieve the crippling fear I live with daily). I just worry about the people I will leave behind, mainly the wife and kid. They don't deserve it.

Not the life I planned for myself, but I'm sure we can all can say this.

What we need right now is a real miracle. Praying for all of you.

11. Likes drz, Masha, John S, Keith, chrisTIn@, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One bright spot is Mayo just developed a validated test for Covid -19.

The results from the test will be available “within 24 hours,” said Matthew Binnicker, a clinical microbiologist and director of the Clinical Virology Laboratory at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
    “We have the expertise to create tests such as this one, and we felt it was our obligation to help ease the burden that the CDC and public health laboratories are feeling at this time," he added.
    The samples will also be sent to the CDC or the Minnesota Department of Health “for appropriate follow-up testing and confirmation,” per the statement, which noted the results will then “be communicated with public health officials, per their respective guidelines.”
    The test, called "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS CoV-2), Molecular Detection,” has been “fully validated.” Data from the test “will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration for review and emergency use authorization,” officials said.

13. Likes Pete, Dirty Don, Masha, John S, Keith, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is amazing how fast things can change as people react to the Covid-19 pandemic. Shortly after my last post our State canceled all the high school basketball tournament games, all nursing homes and senior assisted living places in my town went on restricted visitation with procedures to try screen visitors and all staff by checking their temperature and required hand washing to enter. Only essential people are supposed to visit and deliveries will be left at door. All doors are locked for entrance but not exit for safety. Most local community events were also canceled. On a national level it seems like our Congress is trying to speed up testing and offering financial help to assist in dealing with the pandemic.

I just read that Norway is basically shutting down everything.

How are things for us users all around the world in different locales? How safe do people feel? Anyone in a hot spot area? Anyone tested so far?

15. Likes Keith, Pete, chrisTIn@, Masha, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone,
    I work in healthcare. I’m a paramedic for a county in St Louis Missouri. I also am on Rituxin & this virus of course has been on the forefront of my mind. I’m due in April for a Rituxin infusion & am conflicted whether to get it or deal with a WG relapse. My problem is last year, the vessels in my lungs became leaky & my lungs filled with blood. I definitely don’t want to go through that again!
    You are correct in saying that America is not prepared. Every time there is an outbreak, & shortcomings realised, we don’t learn from our mistakes. A prime example is Ebola.
    I feel that once someone in the community has tested positive, esp for a respiratory illness that is easily transmitted-we should assume it is now community acquired. But in Missouri they refuse to test people whom have symptoms unless they meet a specific criteria. This includes travelling to certain countries or around someone whom has tested positive. By doing this, they are missing infections & allowing this virus to spread through the community.
    The district I work for has taken this quite seriously. We wear protective masks (N95), gowns and goggles on anyone whom has a fever or a cough. The hospital however are not placing these people on droplet precautions because they do not meet the strict requirements for testing! It’s very frustrating!
    I hope all my friends here stay safe & healthy through this. I will be thinking of you all!
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes drz, Dirty Don, Aneinu, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NatriceRomeo View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I work in healthcare. I’m a paramedic for a county in St Louis Missouri. I also am on Rituxin & this virus of course has been on the forefront of my mind. I’m due in April for a Rituxin infusion & am conflicted whether to get it or deal with a WG relapse. My problem is last year, the vessels in my lungs became leaky & my lungs filled with blood. I definitely don’t want to go through that again!
    You are correct in saying that America is not prepared. Every time there is an outbreak, & shortcomings realised, we don’t learn from our mistakes. A prime example is Ebola.
    I feel that once someone in the community has tested positive, esp for a respiratory illness that is easily transmitted-we should assume it is now community acquired. But in Missouri they refuse to test people whom have symptoms unless they meet a specific criteria. This includes travelling to certain countries or around someone whom has tested positive. By doing this, they are missing infections & allowing this virus to spread through the community.
    The district I work for has taken this quite seriously. We wear protective masks (N95), gowns and goggles on anyone whom has a fever or a cough. The hospital however are not placing these people on droplet precautions because they do not meet the strict requirements for testing! It’s very frustrating!
    I hope all my friends here stay safe & healthy through this. I will be thinking of you all!
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My step-daughter is a nurse at an urgent care facility. They don’t have masks etc so she is at risk of contracting the virus. She has two young sons that my wife usually cares for 2-3 days a week. Out of fear, we won’t see them for a few weeks.
    Thank you for being a health care worker. Please stay safe.

19. Likes Aneinu liked this post
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast