Likes Likes:  693
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA Great News just posted.

Based on results of clinical trials conducted with affected patients in both Wuhan and Shenzhen by Chinese medical authorities, Japanese-made flu drug favipiravir (also known as Avigan) has been shown to be effective in both reducing the duration of the COVID-19 virus in patients and to have improved the lung conditions of those who received treatment with the drug.
    The trials involved 340 patients in total, and since the drug has already been developed and approved for use in treating flu, it has a "high degree of safety," according to China science and technology ministry official Zhang Xinmin, who spoke to reporters on Wednesday according to The Guardian. The tests showed a reduction in the period during which patients tested positive for the new coronavirus from 11 days down to just four, and showed improvements in the lung condition of around 91 percent of patients treated with favipiravir, compared to just 62 percent for those without among the trial participants.
    The Chinese studies are not the only attempt to test the efficacy of the drug in COVID-19 treatment – Japanese doctors are bonding their own studies. A Japanese health ministry source told Japanese newspaper the Manichi Shimbun that the drug so far has been given to around 70 to 80 people, but that early results suggest it isn't effective in treating those with more severe symptoms where the virus has already multiplied to a much greater extent.

Still, a treatment that is effective in reducing the duration of the presence of the virus even in milder cases, and in lessening the impacts in moderate symptomatic patients, would be a huge benefit to the ongoing fight against the coronavirus. Any approvals for use of favipiravir would, of course, require further clinical testing, followed by approval of widespread use by each country's relevant medical treatment regulating body.

Other drug treatments have been tested for COVID-19 treatment, and are in the process of development, but no antiviral has yet been approved or created specifically for dealing with the new coronavirus. Other drugs that have shown early promising signs include remadesivir, a compound developed by Gilead Sciences that has shown some promise as a general antiviral.

AFP

Fujifilm shares soar after China backs drug to treat virus
    Last edited by drz; 03-20-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Pete, Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

A big shout out to our doctors, nurses and health care workers working tirelessly for all of us. Thanks too to police and firemen keeping us safe. Truck drivers bringing supplies to us and farmers producing that food are another group to be recognized. I am probably missing some important people, so as you think of them, add to our list.
    You see the good and the bad of humankind at tragic times. People are offering to shop and help elderly and sick. The bad are those who don’t care if they have a mild case and pass it on. Those of us with GPA must not hesitate to ask for help if we need it. Just heard on TV that deliveries should be left at your door. Most of my neighbors have begun to take this seriously. Having everything closed helps too. Some neighbors have called to ask if we need help. Having this disease and not knowing when smoldering or a flare will occur, I’ve learned to always keep our shelves well stocked. We have enough healthy frozen vegetables and it would be far more dangerous to run out for a couple fresh things.
    This is the part when I will share something funny with you. I talk to a childhood friend on occasion, more now with the crisis. She was a dietitian. I said I have been making some comfort food. She was making veggie burgers, no bun. Just as I was feeling guilty she burst out laughing and confessed she just ordered 40 candy bars!
    Of course our health and welfare is foremost. But thinking about the long term economic impact is frightening. Small businesses must be desperate.
    None of the people here have good blood, but I am just listening to a report on severe blood shortages. If you know anyone healthy enough to donate, now is the time.
    I check this forum frequently and wonder about all of you. It is my wish and prayer that we all get through this. Do any of you have family in Italy? Heart breaking.

4. Likes John S, Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not forget our warriors on the front lines at the Grocery Stores and Pharmacies ensuring we have the food and medicine we need. These are the folks that have to work around all the coughing people fighting over toilet paper. Some states are even classifying grocery clerks as emergency workers:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/busin...rnd/index.html

6. Likes Masha, gilders, Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was initially put on Retuxin, Dr. Villa Forte prescribed a liquid antibiotic that was yellow and had a disgusting taste. (I am allergic to sulfa.) Out of mercy, she changed the prescription to a monthly breathing treatment of Pentamadine. This tasted just as terrible but it was only once a month. I have continued the monthly breathing treatment but now I'm worried about it.
    When I go for the treatment, I have to deal with parking valets, sick people in the waiting room, 2 receptionists and 2-3 medical techs. Not only am I at risk myself , the medical professionals involved could also be dealing with more critical patients. I am requesting to go back to the old antibiotic.

8. Likes Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John,
    I'm not familiar with your whole story so what I say may be of no use. I do an inhaled antibiotic (Tobramycin) at home with a nebulizer. I had pneumonia and this is to help keep my lungs free from bugs. It has been working really well for me.
    Also, you many already know, there is a desensitization program for sulfa that has a high success rate and is not hard to try. It worked for me. You take super small doses of sulfa in increasing amounts.
    I was allergic but now I can take it just fine.

10. Likes Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    When I was initially put on Retuxin, Dr. Villa Forte prescribed a liquid antibiotic that was yellow and had a disgusting taste. (I am allergic to sulfa.) Out of mercy, she changed the prescription to a monthly breathing treatment of Pentamadine. This tasted just as terrible but it was only once a month. I have continued the monthly breathing treatment but now I'm worried about it.
    When I go for the treatment, I have to deal with parking valets, sick people in the waiting room, 2 receptionists and 2-3 medical techs. Not only am I at risk myself , the medical professionals involved could also be dealing with more critical patients. I am requesting to go back to the old antibiotic.
    Our state has canceled all non-essential medical services so I will find out next week if my monthly Pentamadine treatment is considered essential. Last week my internist thought I should take it as we have no confirmed cases in our town but then we have not tested any one either due to strict criteria of our State guidelines use because of a shortage of testing equipment.

Our hospital screens everyone who walks in and they will give us a mask to wear as do the staff who give the treatment but I admit I am still a bit anxious about going in for the treatment. I wonder if it will help us in anyway to not catch the bad virus.

12. Likes Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Hi John,
    I'm not familiar with your whole story so what I say may be of no use. I do an inhaled antibiotic (Tobramycin) at home with a nebulizer. I had pneumonia and this is to help keep my lungs free from bugs. It has been working really well for me.
    Also, you many already know, there is a desensitization program for sulfa that has a high success rate and is not hard to try. It worked for me. You take super small doses of sulfa in increasing amounts.
    I was allergic but now I can take it just fine.
    I tried the desensitization protocol a few years back and I was terminated from it on the second day as my throat started to tighten up. Other wise as I recall it was a 20 day procedure so I went on the monthly Pentamadine routine plus I take the non-sulfa part of Bactrim daily.

I have had several incidents of pneumonia and bronchitis this winter. Twice I was in-patient with IV antibiotics but no one has suggested your routine for me. If I get another incident I will ask about it as an option. The doctors tell me I get them because of my suppressed immune system from my AZA maintenance meds and it is the normal bacteria in my mouth that infect me.
    Last edited by drz; 03-21-2020 at 08:32 AM.

14. Likes me2, Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are all justified with your concerns. Not only are we aware of our compromised immune system, but we must free up medical personnel from non essential treatments. John, if there is the option you mentioned go for it.
    I have cancelled all of our doctors and dentist appointments for the next two months. But just 30 minutes ago when the Prime truck came with a delivery he handed it to my husband who was standing in the garage. So much for the keep your distance rule. At least husband didn’t touch it with bare hand, he used his shirt, which I immediately had him put in wash.
    People in our development were out playing pickle ball and tennis yesterday. The guy across the street just went shopping for a bouquet of flowers. And I am a nervous wreck about touching things. Go figure.

16. Likes John S, Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that younger and older people are most blase about physical distance for safety. For me the memories of fighting for air when I was drowning in my own blood ten years ago for weeks in ICU is a vivid memory. This reminds me of why I want to try stay safe so I am willing to work hard to try do it.

I know I can get sick with pneumonia and bronchitis and have breathing problems even while staying at home with no contact as I have been in hospital twice this winter with IV antibiotics and twice with out patient antibiotics with a stay at home treatment. The doctors say these infections come from my normal bacteria due to my suppressed immune system from GPA, AZA and pred meds, diabetes, and age. My doctor said I am the poster child for a very vulnerable patient so need to be extra careful since I have almost all the risk factors plus the lung and kidney damage from the GPA and diabetes.

Now if I was younger in good health my views would undoubtedly be much different. When we young many of us thought we were bullet proof and invincible so we thought little about the risks we took. Now we know better. So we tend to be wiser and more careful. But we weren't born that way and often paid a price to gain this wisdom.

I now live in a Senior Living complex where everyone is older or in poor health so the virus would most likely raise havoc in this facility. Many Nursing Homes have high rates of infection and resultant deaths so high precautions are warranted but difficult to apply. Many seniors need physical help and want touch. Many have lower cognitive ability and can't remember the need for physical distance for safety. Others are unable to understand the risk of this virus. And some family members and friends of residents don't see the need for the precautions so they ignore them and thus endanger us all. But even if ignore them, the risks are not likely to go away anytime very soon so we all have to try do our best to stay safe and healthy as we can.
    Last edited by drz; 03-21-2020 at 08:56 AM.

18. Likes gilders, Masha, me2, chrisTIn@, Aneinu, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was scheduled to get a Pentamadine treatment this Thursday. I emailed one of my local rheumatologists and she will prescribe an antibiotic that I can take at home.

20. Likes chrisTIn@, me2, Masha liked this post
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast