Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

Hi everyone, I haven't logged on for ages but great to read all your supportive comments during these uncertain times.

Despite our very best efforts to keep Covid away (including disinfecting EVERYTHING that came even close to the front door!) it came for a visit at our house just before Christmas, when the UK's Kent variant took hold - luckily, although I did have symptoms (cough/temperature/loss of taste and smell) the symptoms were very mild compared to many poor folk who have contracted it! I have to confess it was a worrying time, not knowing which way it would go due to taking Azathioprine & Prednisolone but we (the whole family got it!) were looked after amazingly by a 'virtual Covid clinic' at our local hospital, who sent out a pulse oximeter and then called on alternate days for a fortnight to get oxygen readings and check on symptoms.

Interestingly, I was advised to stop taking the Aza until I felt better and had lost the temperature - this I did, but 2 weeks after stopping AZA my nose started to crust badly and bleed (I'd not had a flare or experienced any wegs symptoms for several years). My rheumatologist couldn't be sure if the Covid had gone for the 'weakest point' or whether it was Aza related. I guess I will find out when my nephrologist starts to decrease the Aza when the Covid situation is way more stable over here!

Today in the UK they have announced that the Astrazeneca jab will not be given to those under 30 (for once being the wrong side of 50 is a bonus!!��)

Stay safe & take the jab everyone!
    x

2. Likes Pete, Masha, John S, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes me a little nervous. I got 500 mg of rituximab four weeks after my second Pfizer shot.

Autoimmune-disease drugs may reduce vaccine response; antibody treatments ineffective vs Brazil variant
    https://reut.rs/2POGAST
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christmas, when the UK's Kent variant took hold - luckily
    Why is it ok to call it the UK variant, the South Africa or Brazil variant, but not ok to call it the China virus? Asking for a friend. :-)

6. Likes Masha, mishb, Alysia, greenjeep, seied liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over here, findings from most recent data has resulted in all adult household members living with someone who is immunosuppressed being able to get their jab, to try & prevent them passing it on.

Is it the same over there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to keep reminding myself that the vaccine does not make me immune. Vaccinated people can still catch the virus. Vaccinated people can still transmit the virus.
    When you’re vaccinated, if you get the virus, you are less likely to end up in the hospital or morgue.

9. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes me even more nervous is that our Rituxin, which I really need and receive, knocks out our B cells and in order to fight COVID we must have our Bcells. My rheumatologist told me the mortality numbers and I have been losing sleep. I probably will not feel safe until herd immunity.
    As far as the vaccine goes, we know we did not get the full effectiveness, but something is better than nothing.
    Last edited by Masha; 04-14-2021 at 03:27 AM.

11. Likes Pete, John S, Dirty Don, Peter Marsham, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my first AstraZenica jab ten days ago (phase 1B in Australia), then was told I should wait four weeks before getting the flu shot. I didn’t know what to expect, felt like I had a headache (but that could be anything really), but otherwise had virtually no reaction. I hope it’s working. Next shot is July 1, because somebody suggested three months between shots is just as effective as three weeks, and now I may need Ritux by the start of June so as not to conflict with the booster. Fortunately it’s only a single infusion this time round. I’m sure everybody can appreciate the confusion of all this.

oh woe to me!

stay safe everybody, and remember...
    No matter where you go, There you are.
    Life lessons for all of us;

Never eat at a place called Ma’s.
    Never shoot pool with a guy called Pop.
    Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

13. Likes John S, Alysia, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi folks- From the reading I have been doing have not come across anyone who has received the Covid vaccine and on Rituxin even with proper timing to have a positive result in the testing for the antibody test for the spike proteins or the nucleocapsid protein. Wondering if anyone here has tested positive and also if not what are the next steps planned? Thanks!
    Last edited by Middlesista; 04-22-2021 at 02:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may ask my rheumatologist if he can check that after my next infusion (end of May/start June at this stage) . Second COVID shot is July 1. Remind me before then, otherwise I’ll forget.
    Life lessons for all of us;

Never eat at a place called Ma’s.
    Never shoot pool with a guy called Pop.
    Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the vaccine caused a mini-flare with me. I had the second dose about 2 and 1/2 months ago and have felt bad since. I have had daily headaches since where I rarely had headaches before. Also, my sinuses are in a constant state of irritation.
    I'm pretty irritated with our global response to this thing, including bewildering announcements from the CDC. It has ruined what little trust I had in governments, and their ability to react to crises.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

17. Likes seied liked this post
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast