Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

I have a decontamination tool that I use on things brought in from the 'outside' and also on my vehicle. I use an ozone generator that I ordered online. It takes a little education to learn the proper use of it but it is very easy to use and safe.

Short list of things to know - It works really well at killing virus and bacteria. The ozone is NOT ok to breath but with proper procedures this is not a problem. The gas degrades on its own over a few hours and leaves no residue. I've read that it can destroy some rubber items but I've not had that problem myself. I use it on houses for many years to destroy odors. The gas chemically bonds with pollutants.

I gave a ride to some guys in the back of my enclosed truck a few days ago and was able to decontaminate it over night with the ozone. Its not for everyone but I think it's good to know about.

2. Likes drz, annekat, chrisTIn@, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have appreciated following each of you on our shared journey. I can relate to all of you (liked the bank robber part).
    My wonderful Duke rheumatologist is retiring. She has given me enough meds until I see the new one, who is here in Charlotte. It is too difficult for me to travel to Duke and since I am starting with a new doctor, it would be easier to go close to home. This one trained at MUSC, where autoimmune is a big thing. I did not get my April infusion because of the pandemic. I will be seeing the new doctor (new to me but in practice for 15 years) in the beginning of July. I should probably take infusion in July, am torn. If I postpone longer, GPA could act up. If I go, what will I be exposing myself to? Also, I have a feeling we are going to see this virus return in the fall. I know we are supposed to be optimistic, and I don’t want to be pessimistic, just realistic. Since you all know where I am coming from, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Also, after infusion how long are we supposed to wait to get flu vaccine? Internet has a variety of answers to this. I know these are all questions for my doctor, but your experience is valuable.
    My next post will update you on the Carolinas.
    Masha

4. Likes annekat, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    I have appreciated following each of you on our shared journey. I can relate to all of you (liked the bank robber part).
    My wonderful Duke rheumatologist is retiring. She has given me enough meds until I see the new one, who is here in Charlotte. It is too difficult for me to travel to Duke and since I am starting with a new doctor, it would be easier to go close to home. This one trained at MUSC, where autoimmune is a big thing. I did not get my April infusion because of the pandemic. I will be seeing the new doctor (new to me but in practice for 15 years) in the beginning of July. I should probably take infusion in July, am torn. If I postpone longer, GPA could act up. If I go, what will I be exposing myself to? Also, I have a feeling we are going to see this virus return in the fall. I know we are supposed to be optimistic, and I don’t want to be pessimistic, just realistic. Since you all know where I am coming from, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Also, after infusion how long are we supposed to wait to get flu vaccine? Internet has a variety of answers to this. I know these are all questions for my doctor, but your experience is valuable.
    My next post will update you on the Carolinas.
    Masha
    Call in and discuss your concerns and they will most likely help you figure you the best way to help you get the service you need safely. Locally they have set up special hours and services, a drive through for lab work, screening of patients at all entrances, staff wearing Protective gear, and use of tele-medicine when possible to try reduce the risk of spreading the virus. They will also take steps to reduce wait time as well as limits on number of other patients you will see. Last time I went in to our walk in clinic I was only person there and they took me in right away with no wait time. Another doctor did a video visit and sent my lab orders in so I can get them at the drive thru lab so I will only see the lab tech who will have safety gear on. The clinic will also know about the numbers of virus patients in your area and the best times with fewest patients and sometimes have special times for most vulnerable patients. Good luck.

I understand your fears and concerns. I had a panic attack when I had some new symptoms and thought I had caught another case of pneumonia and I still was anxious about going to to the ER or even Walk-In clinic but was very relieved after i finally did since my treatment was easy and gave fast relief to my pain and symptoms.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes Masha, annekat, chrisTIn@, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisTIn@ View Post

In case you 're looking for a quick instruction...
    Great video! He used the Melitta style coffee filter, which I think would be better than the basket style I was visualizing. The shape fits the face and it is double thickness for more filtering, as long as one can get enough air through it. As for interfacing, it can be cut to any shape, but I think I mentioned above it might be harder to get ahold of with fabric stores being closed. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

8. Likes John S, chrisTIn@, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a recent study about the effectiveness of various types of heme made masks. Most scored very poorly for protecting the wearer but any would help reduce the spread by protecting others. The main problems were they either did not filter out much to help protect the wearer or they restricted airflow to such an extent they made it hard for wear to breathe. I believe one could find the study results with a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Great video! He used the Melitta style coffee filter, which I think would be better than the basket style I was visualizing. The shape fits the face and it is double thickness for more filtering, as long as one can get enough air through it. As for interfacing, it can be cut to any shape, but I think I mentioned above it might be harder to get ahold of with fabric stores being closed. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

10. Likes chrisTIn@, annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best filter is “STAY HOME”
    we have been sheltering for 7 weeks now.

12. Likes chrisTIn@, annekat, me2, gilders, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

firecracker 2.jpg
    I would rather not drink Lysol

14. Likes annekat, drz, Keith, seied, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Correct name for virus differs from illness it causes

Officially named SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus first identified by scientists in December 2019 has a different name than the illness it causes, which is known as COVID-19.

16. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most of you, I am staying home. The Carolinas are starting to open. In South, they have opened retail and restaurants for outdoor dining. In North, some businesses have opened. None of these openings will have any effect on me. Because of GPA, we are all high risk, add to that the other things our medications cause (steroids-diabetes) and in my case age.
    Crazy things happen during these crazy times. Our fire alarms went off at 1:30 am. Removing the boxes was not enough, because it is the wiring in the walls that make the treacherous sound. Add two dogs and my tinnitus to that and it is grinding. By the next day we called the maker of the alarms. The culprit was one of our carbon monoxide units, which are plug ins. Sounds crazy, but once those were removed it stopped.
    Many of you sing the praises of Vegemite. Never found it in my grocery stores, but now that I am on line food shopping I came across it, so I ordered it. Haven’t tried it yet, will let you know.
    Of all times, our washer started to leak. The W&D were old, but AGAIN, of all times to replace them! We were able to do this over the phone. The delivery people were very cautious, masks and gloves. They had to go in and out of many homes at this frightening time. I hid behind closed doors and my husband stayed 10 feet away, so that’s done.
    You know how we get the swollen joints, now my ankle is acting up. Doesn’t surprise me. This usually happens before infusion, scheduled for a few weeks ago, but cancelled. I put an ankle brace on and kept it elevated. Swelling has gone down and not as painful. What a time for my rheumatologist to retire, but I am scheduled to see new one at the beginning of July. Like it or not I must make it to that appointment since I am not yet an established patient. My other doctors are being set up for virtual appointments.
    I keep cooking and baking. Today, my husband hung little white Christmas lights around our house. It’s a small thing that makes a big difference and adds warmth and comfort. Tomorrow I am placing a grocery order for dairy and meat. I don’t know what to expect, because many stores have just announced only three packages of meat per customer. But I have plenty of beans and tuna as a backup. Vegemite, here I come.
    I am reminded every day on TV of not only the people who have lost their livelihood, but those who have lost their lives. My heart breaks for these people with horrible challenges.
    I pray you are all well and have faced no bigger problems than ringing fire alarms and broken washers.
    Masha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegemite will fix most ailments down here in Australia, I hope it has the same effect in the US...

Regards Woz...

19. Likes gilders, Alysia, Peter Marsham liked this post
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast