So I have been seeing my rheum for about 2 years now, ever since my diagnosis. I have had presistant pain in my hips, especially my left hip. As it hasn't gotten better even with my anti rheumitics, (arava, plaquenil, and 4x RTX infusions every 6 months), he sent me for an MRI. He confirmed what I feared: AVN, or avascular necrosis. Stage ~2 in both hips. I went to see an ortho he recommended, and we went over meds and options. Both the rheum and ortho agree that given the wegners, large doses of steroids for long periods of time and the need for continued steroid use, our best option is THR of my left, then we will see what happens with the right. I have my last of 4 RTX infusions this week. Ortho wants to wait at least 2 weeks after my last RTX to do the surgery, and we scheduled it for March 17th which is like 3 weeks post infusion. I have to stop the arava and plaquenil as well as they suppress the immune system. Not really sure what to think at this point. I know its needed and it will greatly help, but I feel like at 35 I shouldnt have to deal with this.

Has anyone else been blessed with this gift? My rheum always jokes that I am a bizzare case and I dont present normally, so this just goes to prove his point. Perhaps one of my fellow GPA friends has experience with this? Thanks!

-Matt