Likes Likes:  2

Thread: I got a 2020 Present!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I got a 2020 Present!

So I have been seeing my rheum for about 2 years now, ever since my diagnosis. I have had presistant pain in my hips, especially my left hip. As it hasn't gotten better even with my anti rheumitics, (arava, plaquenil, and 4x RTX infusions every 6 months), he sent me for an MRI. He confirmed what I feared: AVN, or avascular necrosis. Stage ~2 in both hips. I went to see an ortho he recommended, and we went over meds and options. Both the rheum and ortho agree that given the wegners, large doses of steroids for long periods of time and the need for continued steroid use, our best option is THR of my left, then we will see what happens with the right. I have my last of 4 RTX infusions this week. Ortho wants to wait at least 2 weeks after my last RTX to do the surgery, and we scheduled it for March 17th which is like 3 weeks post infusion. I have to stop the arava and plaquenil as well as they suppress the immune system. Not really sure what to think at this point. I know its needed and it will greatly help, but I feel like at 35 I shouldnt have to deal with this.

Has anyone else been blessed with this gift? My rheum always jokes that I am a bizzare case and I dont present normally, so this just goes to prove his point. Perhaps one of my fellow GPA friends has experience with this? Thanks!

-Matt

2. Likes MINDYB77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I got a 2020 Present!

I know that @blu4runner had a knee replacement last fall, if that helps.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that "gift"
    I don't know anything about it.
    I just wanted to tell that my wg dr. Says that while being on the pred, and going for a surgery, we need to take higher dose for couple of days, before, during and after the surgery. Good Luck !
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

5. Likes me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for your input. It is just really strange. Away we go though, March 17th is my surgery morning and I'll go home that day apparently. Should be fun!