User Tag List

Likes Likes:  22

Thread: A new year, new possibilities! (MikeG's back)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A new year, new possibilities! (MikeG's back)

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around at all for a while now. Ran into some difficulties with my bad knee, got overly busy at work and at home, and just lost track of all spare time for about 6 months.

A quick update: Disease has been in remission since I started Rituxan in 2013. YEA! Blood counts are still great, and I feel really good! I finally had a full knee replacement on December 4, and I am up and moving better than ever now. Went in thinking a partial replacement, but too much arthritis, and morning of the surgery, doc said the plans had changed. If it weren't for the post-op weakness from where my knee was dissected, I would be back to normal. I am really pleased with the outcome of the replacement! If anyone is in the Madison, WI area, Dr. Richard Illgen at University of Wisconsin Orthopedics is a ROCK STAR!

Since 2014, I've also taken off almost 70 pounds. Thanks to the prednisone and other factors, I was well over 340 pounds (that's when I stopped stepping on the scale). Yesterday morning I was 280! In November, I decided to try NutriSystem for a couple months to have food on hand during my knee recovery, and especially to try to get portion controls under some kind of discipline. I really like to eat, so it has been a struggle all my life to not eat too much. For a lot of years, that was a terrible struggle, but now I feel like I am on the right path to continue to take off the weight. I want this new knee to last a long time!

I hope all of you are well and having a good year so far. I look forward to catching up with all of you and read what you've been up to in the coming weeks and months.

My thoughts and prayers go out to our friends down under. I pray that you will all get some relief sooner than later!!!!

MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A new year, new possibilities! (MikeG's back)

Welcome back, @MikeG-2012!! Hope you get a lifetime of service with the new knee. I also hope the new eating plan gets you to your desired weight and keeps you there.
    Last edited by Pete; 01-11-2020 at 03:46 AM.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes gilders, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good to hear that you are doing well. I have been through many ups and downs with prednisone weight myself. One of my 'secret weapons' is called "Miracle Noodles". Prednisone causes weight gain partially by stimulating appetite. Ravenous hunger that just drives me crazy. The miracle noodles are super low calorie. I think a whole package is something like 10 calories. So I can eat a large plate of them , lightly flavored with sugar free spaghetti sauce or pesto. A sprinkle of parmesan. I can fill up on these noodles and it helps with the hunger cravings. The texture of them is good too so it seems like the noodle 'experience' without the massive calories.

Sounds like you are set up with your new knee to have a good year this year.

5. Likes gilders, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey MikeG,
    Congrats on the terrific weight loss. I too struggle with ‘Body by Prednisone’. When I watch the NutraSystem ads with Marie Osmond she makes it look so easy, but I know it is a challenge.
    Hats off to you.
    Masha

7. Likes gilders, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see you back here Mike!
    That's great news about the knee and well done with the weight loss. I put on about 20 pounds soon after my transplant last March and I'm struggling to get rid of it. Can't blame the Pred either as I'm only on 2mg.
    Diagnosed April 1995

9. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Hey MikeG,
    Congrats on the terrific weight loss. I too struggle with ‘Body by Prednisone’. When I watch the NutraSystem ads with Marie Osmond she makes it look so easy, but I know it is a challenge.
    Hats off to you.
    Masha
    Thanks Masha, it really is that easy. Although, it’s expensive it does what they say it does. I was skeptical about it but once I started eating the food I was never really hungry outside of the plan. Most of the food is high in fiber, low in fat, and low in carbs, but is surprisingly good and filling. I lack discipline to control portion sizes, so their plan got me in a good place to go try it on my own. So far, so good.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

11. Likes Pete, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Good to see you back here Mike!
    That's great news about the knee and well done with the weight loss. I put on about 20 pounds soon after my transplant last March and I'm struggling to get rid of it. Can't blame the Pred either as I'm only on 2mg.
    Slow and steady wins the race!!!
    MikeG-2012

13. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back Mike, so good to hear from you.

Very happy that you were finally able to get the knee fixed/ Have you thrown the scooter away?

Weight loss and a new knee, combined with remission, makes for a wonderful 2020
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

15. Likes Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Welcome back Mike, so good to hear from you.

Very happy that you were finally able to get the knee fixed/ Have you thrown the scooter away?

Weight loss and a new knee, combined with remission, makes for a wonderful 2020
    No haven’t retired the scooter yet. I’ve been using it when I’ve had a long day and the knee starts getting weak. I am still not 100% back to full capacity yet, so I am still allowed to use it. I’ll know when I can go back to full unrestricted working on the 30th when I see the surgeon for my final follow-up.
    MikeG-2012

17. Likes Pete, mishb liked this post