User Tag List

Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the smallest dose of Rituxan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What is the smallest dose of Rituxan?

I used Bactrim for a few years after dx in 2011, starting when I was taking Cytoxan. I was reading about it a lot on the forum, too. I also remember reading that in addition to being a prophylactic for infections like pneumonia, especially a specific kind that AIDS patients commonly get, it was also thought to help prevent relapses. I thought it was you, @me2, among others, maybe, who mentioned bacteria in the nose and sinuses, specifically staphylococcus aureus, of which MRSA is one type, that could stimulate relapses, which I think your doc had discussed with you. And that Bactrim DS, taken 3x per week, as most of us have who've taken it, could be effective in working against this bacteria and thereby working against relapses. It may be just a theory. But it could explain why it made your nose better, @Alysia, though it didn't prevent your relapses. And @Kirk, if you can still take Bactrim, you might consider it.

As for me, when I had switched to methotrexate and eventually gotten a new rheumy, he said Bactrim was "overkill" with MTX, and unnecessary. I can't be sure he is right, but I seem to be doing OK without it over the last few years.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by annekat; 01-05-2020 at 02:39 PM. Reason: more accurate
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

2. Likes me2, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I am allergic to Sulfa so I can't take Bactrim. I do get a monthly breathing treatment of Pentamidine in it's stead. I have not had any infections.
    I have been doing this for almost ten years. I do take the non sulfa part of Bactrim, Trimethoprim. I tried the demonetization treatment but had to quit on the second day of a 20 day procedure to work up the regular full dosage.

I have had many infections since i got GPA. Treating the many infections has resulted in allergies to several antibiotics which creates extra problems too. I also have diabetes which along with the GPA maintenance meds to suppress my immune system make me very vulnerable to infections. The last time two months ago I had sinus infection, bronchitis, pneumonia and sepsis which nearly killed me and required several days in the hospital with IV antibiotics and a couple weeks of oral ones afterward.
    Last edited by drz; 12-30-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

4. Likes Alysia, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I used Bactrim for a few years after dx in 2011, starting when I was taking Cytoxan. I was reading about it a lot on the forum, too. I also remember reading that in addition to being a prophylactic for infections like pneumonia, especially a specific kind that AIDS patients commonly get, it was also thought to help prevent relapses. I thought it was you, @Kirk, among others, maybe, who mentioned bacteria in the nose and sinuses, specifically MRSA, if I recall right, that could stimulate relapses, which maybe your doc had discussed with you, not sure. And that Bactrim DS, taken 3x per week, as most of us have who've taken it, could be effective in working against this bacteria and thereby working against relapses. It may be just a theory. But it could explain why it made your nose better, @Alysia, though it didn't prevent your relapses. And @Kirk, if you can still take Bactrim, you might consider it. And forgive me if it wasn't you who mentioned it.
    As for me, when I had switched to methotrexate and eventually gotten a new rheumy, he said Bactrim was "overkill" with MTX, and unnecessary. I can't be sure he is right, but I seem to be doing OK without it over the last few years.

@anne, you are right. we had a good discussion about the bactrim, in this thread, at page 4 there is some good info by @me2.

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis....hlight=Bactrim
    Last edited by Alysia; 01-05-2020 at 03:59 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

6. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have such a good memory, @Alysia, and I guess I do, too. But you always follow it up by finding the thread where this is discussed. Thank you. I will take a look so that next time I'm more sure of what I'm talking about.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, I went back and read that entire thread and found it very interesting, though complicated and with a few differences in viewpoint. I have to correct myself on what I wrote above about Bactrim being seen, in addition to as a prophylactic for certain opportunistic lung infections, also as an agent for preventing relapses due to its ability to fight certain bacteria in the nose that can trigger relapses. It turns out that Kirk, @me2, and his doc, discussed staphylococcus aureus as the offending bacteria that hangs out in many of our noses, of which MRSA is one type. So it would have been more accurate to cite the more general staph aureus in my comments. I'm sure you already know this from looking at the thread, but it might be of interest to others. So maybe I will go back and correct my terminology to be more inclusive.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

10. Likes me2, Alysia liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12