Thread: Recent Diagnosis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recent Diagnosis

Hello Everyone,
    I starting getting sick October 7th 2019. I thought I had the flu. On the 9th I noticed a skin ulcer on my left foot. The morning of the 10th my left groin swelled up. At this point I went to the doctor. I was hospitalized that afternoon. An ultrasound was done on my groin. It showed an abcess. At this time I also developed a bad cough and my oxygen level dropped. Antibiotics and Prednisone were prescribed. Morphine was prescribed for the pain in my groin. I was there for 5 days. Things were getting better. I felt pretty good. 4 days later it flared up again and I was back in the hospital.I also started have pain and tingling in my feet and legs at this time . My doctor contacted a rheumatologist. At this time I was prescribed Plaquinel with my Prednisone. An appointment was set with the rheumatologist . Now the blood tests began. The quickest I could get in was Dec 9th. The rheumatologist looked at me and diagnosed me with Wegeners. He stated that I needed to start Cellcept and Rituxan right away. The order was sent in yesterday. Im just waiting to get my first treatment. I am scared , angry and uncertain all at the same time !

2. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recent Diagnosis

Hi @Sajo

Welcome to the club. It sounds like your rheumatologist is working aggressively to get the disease under control. Rituximab takes awhile (4-6 weeks) for full effect. Cellcept acts a bit faster. Are you still on prednisone? That should help you feel better in the shorter term.

The good news looking forward for you is that the disease is treatable. There is a good bit of research into newer treatments with fewer side effects. With effective treatment, you could return to a lifestyle that closely resembles your pre-disease state. A healthy diet and some exercise will help.

Feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of experienced people here.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes Dirty Don, Sajo, drz, annekat, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Sajo...you picked the right place to ask, vent, and give back for Wegener's. Your symptoms are similar to some I had on my 2nd flare, the pain, tingling, etc. First attack was on lungs and sinuses, survived that to get to the next one! LOL Sounds like your docs have you on a good track. Don't know where you're going for help, but getting experienced rheumy with an understanding of how this disease works is absolutely the best thing you can do. There are many clinics/hospitals such as Mayo, Cleveland, Hopkins, etc. which deal well with this disease. Hope you can at least consult with one of the biggies if not go there. Also, anger, etc. are typical reactions and you will get thru them as you learn more about the disease. Best to you and happy holidays! Did I just say that??? Getting oldER!!! LOL
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

6. Likes Sajo, Pete, Keith, annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the welcome Pete. I am still on Prednisone. They started me on 80 and now its 40

8. Likes Pete, annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Don for the welcome. I appreciate the posts. I dont feel so alone anymore.

10. Likes Dirty Don, annekat, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sajo,
    Pete and Don said it well. Find a great doctor and it is treatable.
    It seems like there is no end to where this disease hits. Your case of the groin is the first I heard. My doctor once treated Wegeners of the breast. Mine rears it’s ugly head in my mouth, tooth loss sores, etc. I was diagnosed three years ago, and went kind of loopy when I first heard it.
    It is normal to have it stir your emotions up.
    Stay with this site. It is full of many kind people, who have been there and done that. We aren’t in place of your doctor, but we are here to share and support.
    Masha

12. Likes Dirty Don, Keith, annekat, Sajo, me2, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything was finally worked out with my treatments . My insurance , get the drug on order etc. I start my first Rituxan dose tommorrow. Any advice on what to expect?

14. Likes Dirty Don, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sajo

For me, getting rituximab is pretty much a non-event. You’ll get a big dose of steroids (usually solu medrol), some Benadryl, and some Tylenol before they start the rtx. They start very slowly and gradually increase the flow. If you notice anything untoward, tell the nurse. They’ll stop and see what’s happening and make adjustments. My infusions last 4+/- hours.

After it’s over, I’ll be a little restless that night and a little lethargic the next day — side effects from the steroids and benadryl. After 36-48 hours, I’m back to normal.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

16. Likes drz, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sajo View Post
    Everything was finally worked out with my treatments . My insurance , get the drug on order etc. I start my first Rituxan dose tommorrow. Any advice on what to expect?
    It will probably take several hours so bring along some thing to read or help you pass the time.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

18. Likes Alysia, Sajo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum.
    I hope your rtx treatment went well.
    Please consider that being on high pred can cause us more anger and being more emotional. When you reduce the pred, do it very gradually.
    I've also never heard about wg in the groin. Maybe the pain was not wg related ?
    Did they take biopsy from the ulcer in your leg ?
    I hope you are getting better.
    Last edited by Alysia; 01-05-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

20. Likes Sajo, annekat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast