Thread: Avacopan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Avacopan

Quote Originally Posted by Razie View Post
    Yikes! That doesn't sound very promising. So sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction.
    A lot of people do fine on Avacopan but it did not work out well for me. If you can afford it or get it free it is worth trying and you might do fine on it for a long time with no problems. Most infections can be treated effectively so I would not view it as a high risk procedure.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @drz,
    Do you know if folks are able to replace prednisone with avacopan, or is it more supplemental?
    Thanks!
    Razie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am confused. I have a question similar to Razie's question.
    is Avacopan a replacement for Rituximab (or biosimilar) or a replacement for Prednisone?

Jeannette

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jmq, my understanding is that Avacopan, which is sold under the name Tavneos, affects a different pathway than Rituximab. It is not a biosimilar for Rituximab. I had 2 infusion treatments with Truxima, which is a biosimilar to Rituximab.

My first delivery for Tavneos/Avacopan is coming next week. My rheumatologist is having me speed up my prednisone taper; I was reducing dosage every 2 weeks, now I'll be reducing dosage every week. I'm nervous about potential side effects and adverse reactions, but that comes with pretty much any new medication I guess.

Razie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmq View Post
    I am confused. I have a question similar to Razie's question.
    is Avacopan a replacement for Rituximab (or biosimilar) or a replacement for Prednisone?

Jeannette
    It suppresses the immune system so for me it replaced RTX infusions. My prednisone dosage was unchanged while taking it. I still had some residual signs of GPA and maybe if I could have stayed on it and the GPA ssigns disappeared, then i could have stopped the prednisone meds too.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    It suppresses the immune system so for me it replaced RTX infusions. My prednisone dosage was unchanged while taking it. I still had some residual signs of GPA and maybe if I could have stayed on it and the GPA ssigns disappeared, then i could have stopped the prednisone meds too.
    Thank you for the info. I also submitted a question to my rheumy at Emory via their portal and this is what he said:
    Avacopan has not been studied as a maintenance drug. The initial studies used Avacopan as a way to reduce steroids during induction therapy. Studies are still not clear as to how to best use this medication.

7. Likes Dirty Don liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234