Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In process of being diagnosed

I just registered as a member to this forum. I have spent since 10-2-19 trying to learn everything about this Wegener’s condition. Symptoms started in May, 2019. My doctors and other two doctors I went to see thought it was just a sinus problem, and I got antibiotics, and nose sprays, and 5 days steroid/anti -inflammatory pills, Claritin. Symptoms came coming back after I finished the treatments. Finally, I requested to be referred to an ENT doctor (first visit was 9-5-19). This doctor gave me antibiotic and steroids for 14 days, and he said I would feel better and I did, but again, symptoms came back. I went back to ENT doctor (9-16-19). At this point I had sinus pain and one of my ears had totally clogged and my right ear had also started. At this visit, he put in an ear tube in my right ear but he could not do it in my left ear, and he decided to wait until surgery to do it. They ran a CT Scan (I don't know why he could not detect anything at this time, or I don’t know if a CT Scan would detect WG) so he thought it was a "normal" sinus problem and he scheduled surgery for chronic sinusitis (9-18-19 surgery prep, and 9-24-19 surgery). During surgery he found that the problem was not sinus but granulomas, so he did non proceed with surgery. They made a biopsy of the granulomas and found they were not cancerous. He put in an ear tube in my left ear. I went home and he ordered some blood tests, and when I went back to see him again (10-2-19), he informed me of my condition; Wegener’s. He referred me to a rheumatologist.
    Tuesday 10-8-19, I went to my first appointment. When I found out about my condition on 10-2-19, my ENT doctor put me on Prednisone (20mg/3 times a day until I went to my rheumatologists appt.). My rheumatologist changed it to 60 mgs/one time a day in the morning, and they ran more blood, xrays, and urine tests. I will know results on 10-14-19 – next appointment. Right now, I still have my ears clogged, but they have cleared some and I can hear someone 4 or 5 feet away form me. I am not having sinus pain, and the inflammation has gone down, but I still can see some inside my nose. Crusting builds inside my nose. I stopped working since 9-17-19 (before surgery), but I went back on 10-9-19. My septum has collapsed some. I guess I will know more on 10-14-19. I am not sure if what has been done is the correct thing? What else should be done? Dr. said I will be put on Methotrexate starting on 10-14-19. Would symptoms come back if I don’t take Prednisone anymore? How soon will Methotrexate start working? Will I lose the partial hearing I got back once I stop Prednisone and start Methotrexate? I will appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you very much. I am 57 years old, female, and I am a high school teacher (Teach Spanish). I stopped working since September 17 and went back on 10-9-19. How can this affect my health?
    Last edited by Lea; 10-22-2019 at 01:08 AM.

2. Likes Aneinu, Alysia, Keith liked this post