User Tag List

Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Imuran (Azathioprine) and Sun Exposure - How Careful Are You?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Imuran (Azathioprine) and Sun Exposure - How Careful Are You?

Have been on it (as I've mentioned) approx. 8 yrs. Down to 25 mg/day - although 2 yrs back (unbeknownst to doc) I began only taking every other day/3 times a wk. Someone on the forum suggested I inform doc of what I chose to do, which I have. He did not ask me to go back to the regular dosage.
    I worry about sun exposure. I'm a courier, and in and out of my car a few dozen times a day. I apply 100 SPF (Wal-Mart) at the begining and in the middle of my shift (hate that stuff!). As well, wear a hat.
    I developed to spots on two fingers a couple of months back. They concerned me, as I couldn't recall anything that I'd done to cause them. After a couple of weeks they scabbed and went away. I've heard said if they return I should have them looked at.

Just wondering about how you handle related things.

Many thanks! - David

2. Likes sshiveley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Imuran (Azathioprine) and Sun Exposure - How Careful Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    Have been on it (as I've mentioned) approx. 8 yrs. Down to 25 mg/day - although 2 yrs back (unbeknownst to doc) I began only taking every other day/3 times a wk. Someone on the forum suggested I inform doc of what I chose to do, which I have. He did not ask me to go back to the regular dosage.
    I worry about sun exposure. I'm a courier, and in and out of my car a few dozen times a day. I apply 100 SPF (Wal-Mart) at the begining and in the middle of my shift (hate that stuff!). As well, wear a hat.
    I developed to spots on two fingers a couple of months back. They concerned me, as I couldn't recall anything that I'd done to cause them. After a couple of weeks they scabbed and went away. I've heard said if they return I should have them looked at.

Just wondering about how you handle related things.

Many thanks! - David
    I too have been using generic AZA for over 8 years at a much higher dosage (175 mgs) but didn't know that sun exposure was a problem or risk. No one has warned me about it. Skin lesions seem just like one of the many undesired side effects from having GPA and the meds we need to use for treatment. Dermatologists just freeze a few of them for me but otherwise don't seem too concerned about them.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

4. Likes sshiveley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you told your doctor, David
    Hopefully your way, will work for someone else in the near future.

I don't take AZA but still get some spots, which as drz mentioned, the doctor just freezes them off.

Just keep an eye on them and if they come back, get someone to have a look.

Other than that, I'm glad you are working, and hope that you are feeling good
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your dermatologist know that you take Aza? What I had on my fingers was not raised but flat, and each was a little larger than a pencil eraser's circumference. Appreciate the info, drz. - David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually working f/t now. Began about a mos. back. Takes some getting used to. Haven't decided whether it's harder due to age or laziness. Hoping you're good as well, misb! - David