Hey Everyone,
I haven’t posted much recently because I was making some changes in my treatment.
Right now I am one happy camper. They say you don’t know what you have been missing until you found it. In my case it would be Dr. Nancy Allen.
I needed to take a proactive approach to this thing we call Wergeners. Duke is a world class medical center, only 2 1/2 hours from my home. Dr. Allen was a pioneer in our disease. Since the early eighties she has been not only a clinician, researcher and trainer, she is so smart she doesn’t act it. She even went to a symposium where she met the actual DR. WEGENER. She has seen and treated cases of our disease I never thought possible, one being Wegeners of the breast.
Her nurse went over my medical history fo 45 minutes. Then Dr. Allen spent an hour with me. Not one question went unanswered. Some of the medications I may be on are ones I have heard mentioned on this site. My biggest problem is the number of infections I get, acute bronchitis & pneumonia. My second complaint is this prednisone is causing me a lot of problems. I won’t go into all of the specifics, because as we all know it is not one size fits all. Then she ordered a boat load of blood tests. Within 24 hours I had the results in my inbox. She wrote a note regarding each blood test, what it was for and where I stood. The plan is in action.
For the newbies, please listen to what Pete said. Try your best to get with a doctor who has a great deal of experience with this disease.
I am 69 and my husband is 76. He is not in great health (will be going to Duke for his procedures too). We were unsure about our time frame there, so we made plans to take our dogs and stay in a hotel. They are 6 lb. toy poodles, who are great little travelers. But they sensed this was not a vacation. When we got to the hotel and I opened my suitcase, Oscar got into it. Who says dogs aren’t good stress busters!
Be well,
Masha