Thread: Hello from another new member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello from another new member

Hello and thanks for adding me.
    My journey on this crazy ride actually began back in 2009 when I had problems with my tears ducts and had to have Jones tubes put in both of my eyes. I attributed this to having repeated eye infections. Fast forward to 2018 when I got the flu in January followed by months of sinus infections that never seemed to clear up or respond to meds. By May I began having ear infections and started losing my hearing in my left ear. In September I felt so bad that I ended up in the hospital with double pneumonia and where they suspected Wegener's which was confirmed in October.
    So here I am today introducing myself and still having so many questions and being appreciative of finding this wonderful forum.
    Since November I have gone from 60 mg prednisone down to 5 mg and am on 20 mg methotrexate and folic acid.
    So that is my journey so far. I haven't seen any great improvement yet but I remain hopeful and look forward to learning and understanding Wegener's more. Thank you so much for affording me the opportunity to join all of you!

2. Likes bobjannj, Alysia, andrew, drz, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hello from another new member

Welcome Tricia,
    Your symptoms are how it all started for me 24 years ago. Unfortunately my diagnosis and treatment took so long that it had spread to other parts of my body.
    I'm sorry to hear that you haven't seen much improvement yet. I must admit the damage done to my hearing and sinuses all those years ago hasn't really improved either.

Although it must be destressing having a lack of improvement, just remember that without diagnosis or treatment things could have become MUCH worse, very quickly (not that I'm belittling your current problems).

If you are having other Wegener's symptoms, then many of those can improve with treatment and remission. It's good to see you're now down to 5mg pred. This is the highest dose I can tolerate.

Keep us updated and remember this is a friendly forum. No question is silly and we don't mind answering the same questions time and time again - i.e. you won't get a snotty reply telling you to search for the answer yourself as it's previously been discussed.
    Diagnosed April 1995

4. Likes Dirty Don, Alysia, andrew, annekat, Tricia E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for your encouragement gilders! I know things will get better and better! Even though I am 7 months in to this, I still have alot to learn.

I do have a question. My PR3 C ANCA went up on my last lab from 60 to 100. Are these numbers super important or is fluctuation normal.

Thanks. I am sure I will have a few more questions down the road and I am so happy to have found this forum. I use to be in a group on FB but I permanently deleted my FB.
    This forum is great!

6. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the family, Tricia.

C-anca and Pr3, if positive are indicators of wg activity. If they have become higher, it means that the wg is more active. It goes together with what you tell, about not seeing an improvement. I think that it means that methotraxat isn't working enough for you. The higher preds kept your wg less active and now that you are down to lower preds, the wg has becomes more active.

Mtx didn't work for me either.

I think it means that you need to consult with your wg dr. - I hope he is a vasculitis expert - about changing treatment.

For me and for many others - rituximab makes the difference.

Please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

8. Likes annekat, Tricia E, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your response Alysia. I think I will have to ask my rhumatologist to run my labs more often. She does them every two months and this is only the second time she has done the PR 3 and ANCA.
    My platelets are looking better and my sedimentation is now normal. The other concern I have is that she mentioned twice now that there are small traces of blood in my urine.
    Are there other things on my lab reports that I should keep an eye on? None of my doctors have ever had a patient with Wegner's which is a huge part of what has lead me to this forum.
    I want to make sure I educate myself and have a better idea of the questions to ask my rhumatologist.

10. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tricia,
    I’m sorry you are in the club but happy you found this place. The people are so awesome & everyone here has different symptoms of WG but a life time of experience.
    I do hope you start feeling better soon. It just sucks to feel constantly beaten. Please keep us updated!
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes annekat, Tricia E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tricia, and welcome.
    Its never good news when someone else comes down with this disease, but you will find a wealth of knowledge, and some answers from the awesome people who frequent this site, my Pr3 has risen a lot over a couple of months, I was a bit concerned, but the rest of my blood work was great, especially my esr and crp (inflammatory markers), it has now come down a little, but a bit lower would be better.
    If you are feeling good, go with it, but if you start to ache or feel unwell, ring your rheumy to check, better to be safe than be back in hospital.

Regards Woz...

14. Likes Alysia, annekat, Tricia E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the welcomes Woz and Natty!
    Woz, I really appreciate you sharing that your Pr3 also fluctuates. I saw mine go up and totally freaked out. My other numbers are going down and that made me happy. I do think having confidence in your doctor is really important and I am still not sure about mine, but I have only seen her for 6 months and she does seem to be trying.
    I am so thankful that only my eyes, nose and ear are affected. I know it could be a lot worse. I am also thankful that this all occurred after I retired.
    I have wonderful support from my husband and now a great group here. What more could a person ask for!

16. Likes woz, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pr3 has only fluctuated one time in 6 years, I was trying to go drug free at the time, ask your rheumy how much experience she has had with wegs, a second opinion wont hurt you if you are unsure, its better to ask a silly question, than regret something you should have asked.

I write things down to ask the rheumy, as I always seem to forget something.
    Good luck
    Regards Woz...

18. Likes Alysia, annekat, Tricia E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Labs every 2 months are indeed not enough if you are not in remission. Ask to do your labs once a month until you will see that your wg is calming down.

The most important one to check in your labs is the creatinine (kidneys related), to make sure that wg hasn't affect the kidneys.

You can also ask to check your egfr (kidneys related), ALT and AST (liver functions - might react to meds or to wg flare), Hemoglobin, ferritin, fe-iron, transferrin (anemia related - can indicate wg activity), CRP and ESR (inflamation markers).

If your wg dr. Is trying to treat you well, then maybe she will be willing to consult about your case with vasculitis experts. My wg dr. Made a consultation about my case at least twice (that he told me about).

Dont get stressed about wg. It can be treated. Just keep an eye on it, learn as much as you can, prepare questions etc. Also, "pray, hope and don't worry" (quote of someone wise).
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

20. Likes Dirty Don, NatriceRomeo, annekat, Tricia E liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast