Thread: Imuran (Azathioprine) Users:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Imuran (Azathioprine) Users:

I may have asked a similar Q before.

I have been on Imuran for 7-8 years. I'm supposed to take 25mg/day and have held at this dosage for a few years. I'd like to get off it all together. Doc wants to keep my on it at this dosage for possibly the duration of my life. I really, really feel in my heart-of-hearts it would be okay to do.

He does not know but I've only been taking 25mg/day 3 days a week. Basically every other day now for a couple of years.

Q:
    Have you taken Imuran and stopped after a period of time?

David

2. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Imuran (Azathioprine) Users:

Hi David,
    I have been on imuran (Azathiaphrine) for 5-6 years, my rhuemy and I decided to try and go drug free, I tapered down to zero, and was med free for 9 months, still having a monthly blood check to be safe, my Pr3 level climbed quickly over the last few months, all my other blood results were normal , we decided to go back on azathiaphrine to be safe, my Pr3 level is still high, but slowly going down, hopefully buy the end of the year, I hope to be back down to a low level, I have always had a positive Pr3 reading, cant seem to get it back to normal, looks like I will be on this until someone discovers a wonder drug, to cure this disease.

I would discuss this with your doctor, and if you do go ahead with it, get regular tests to be sure to be sure, in hindsight, If I had the choice again, and had talked to captain hindsight, I would have stayed on my regular dose of Aza, which was a lot lower than the dose I am on now.

Good Luck.

Regards Woz...

4. Likes me2, whatthewhat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David, you really should let your doctor know that you are only taking it 3 days a week. Not just for you but it may help the doctor be able to work out plans for other people.
    Everyone reacts different, and if a different regime works for you, then it may work for others.

You might as well tell him now, in case something goes seriously wrong (not saying it will) but he may need to increase your meds, from what he presumes you are taking, and not what you are really taking.

Take care mate
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

6. Likes Dirty Don, drz, seied, me2, whatthewhat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions:

How long have you had Weg's?
    Trying to go off Imuran sounds like your doc's idea - was it cause things had been going well w/ your health?
    What is Pr3? Gonna look for Pr3 on a past test results sheet.

Thanks, woz!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mishb:

See what you're saying. I will not see him again till fall. He is the only doc I see regarding my Weg's - my kidney doc. Not sure I would want to bring it up over the phone or with his nurse without see someone in person. We'll see. Thanks for your 2-cents very much.

David

9. Likes mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David,

I have had Wegs for 6 plus years, I am quite lucky to have had quite good health,I was only taking 100mg imuran a day for maintenance, I am now on 250mg per day and may go up to 300, to get my numbers down, It was my idea to try and go drug free, as I felt quite healthy and wanted to be drug free, like everyone else. I have found that the higher dose of Azathiaphrine seems to give me a lot more aches and pain in my feet, and sometimes my hands, this is one of the reasons I wanted to go drug free, and in the 9 months I was drug free I felt the best I have felt for a long time, with almost zero aches and pain, but as you know this disease effects everyone in different ways. Michelle brought up a great point, that if you let you doctor know what doses you have been taking, It may send him in the direction you are wanting to go, just remember, your doctor has done an exceptional job to get you where you are now, take care.

PR3 is Cytoplasmic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies, are a type of autoantibody, an antibody produced by the body that acts against one of its own proteins. ... For example, PR3 is the most common antigen target of ANCA in patients with granulomatosis with polyangiitis,

Regards Woz.....

11. Likes drz, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hi David,

I have had Wegs for 6 plus years, I am quite lucky to have had quite good health,I was only taking 100mg imuran a day for maintenance, I am now on 250mg per day and may go up to 300, to get my numbers down, It was my idea to try and go drug free, as I felt quite healthy and wanted to be drug free, like everyone else. I have found that the higher dose of Azathiaphrine seems to give me a lot more aches and pain in my feet, and sometimes my hands, this is one of the reasons I wanted to go drug free, and in the 9 months I was drug free I felt the best I have felt for a long time, with almost zero aches and pain, but as you know this disease effects everyone in different ways. Michelle brought up a great point, that if you let you doctor know what doses you have been taking, It may send him in the direction you are wanting to go, just remember, your doctor has done an exceptional job to get you where you are now, take care.

PR3 is Cytoplasmic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies, are a type of autoantibody, an antibody produced by the body that acts against one of its own proteins. ... For example, PR3 is the most common antigen target of ANCA in patients with granulomatosis with polyangiitis,

Regards Woz.....
    I will check with my doc, Woz, re Imuran dosages. And maybe I shouldn't wait for my fall appt.
    I was never at 100mg. Believe 50mg was my highest. That's so strange to me that you could go 9 mos. before a relapse. Is your PR3 where it needs to be? Guessing no if your dosage is that high still.
    How I wanted to consider taking even less... - David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David,

Don't forget, this disease is different with everyone, hopefully you have a lot milder case than me, that would be why your dose is different. I didn't technically have a relapse or flare, as my other bloodwork was fine.

Regards Woz...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband takes 200mg of immuran.would be very reluctant to reduce this medication.
    Has been taking since 2013.
    Does anyone else who is taking drug suffer leg and feet pain.
    Having nerve conduction test next month on legs.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dennis,

My feet ache the most, especially both of my big toes, didn't have any pain at all when I was med free, my toes are so bad sometimes, I have to walk with a limp, Its a little strange, one toe will be a little sore and the other that bad I have to stop walking sometimes, its never both bad at the same time, and it changes from one side to the other side, I have a different rhuemy now as the other retired, he has got xrays done of both feet to have a look, hopefully at my next appointment he might have some answers, all the best for the test.

Regards Woz...

16. Likes dennis2512 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast