Thread: Advise on migrating to Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Advise on migrating to Australia

Hello All,
    I am Prabu from Bangalore (India) diagnosed with GPA last year May. I have been in this forum from last 8 months and it really helps me in lot of aspects of understanding about my disease. Thanks everyone.

Just giving my short intro, I am 34-year-old working as a software professional at Bangalore, married, father of 4-year-old daughter, and native of south part of India.

For me it started with ear infection in December 2017, it never went away with any medicines and a surgery at Bangalore. After minor facial paralysis, I went to a hospital at Coimbatore (a southern city in India) and they did mastoid surgery but still facial pain was not reduced. Then they went for MRI scan to check any impacts to my brain because of accumulated ear fluid and they figured out no impacts, but incidentally they found some cavities in my lungs. And they suspected either Tuberculosis or some vasculitis. After elimination of tuberculosis, diagnosed for GPA with ANCA test and found positive.

Now I am back to Bangalore and completed 2 rounds of Rituximab 1000 mg, in two weeks interval on last July 2018. And also, one round of 500 mg of rituximab for maintenance on last December. Currently with 5mg prednisone every day. Recently concluded blood test tells that everything is normal except my ‘C-Reactive Protein’ is around 9.

I recently got an excellent opportunity to work at Australia, most likely will be at Perth. I never been in Australia and not aware of any medical facilities for GPA. I will most likely come with 482(Temporary Skill Shortage visa) work permit visa. For this visa I figured out I need to go for private health insurance.
    I reached out to Andrew privately and he gave me very good information about different kind of private insurances available in Australia with following links
    https://www.hcf.com.au/overseas-heal...choosing-cover
    https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas...working-visas/
    But I still need some more information on following aspects.
    1. Any idea on which private insurance (and which type of insurance) cover WG with Rituximab treatment?
    2. Since I already got diagnosed in India, I think mine will be part of pre-existing condition for private insurance. Any idea on what will be the waiting period for treating the WG on pre-existing condition.
    3. What are the treatment procedures in Australia? (like do they diagnose again or start the treatment with the diagnosis done at India).
    4. Any suggestion on good WG experts available at Perth?
    5. If insurance is not covering WG, what would be the cost of the treatment in Australia?
    Did anyone migrate with similar situation? It would be great help to me if you give me some insights on these things. Based on that I can able to take a wise call on migrating to Australia.

Thanks,
    Prabu.

2. Likes andrew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advise on migrating to Australia

Thanks Prabu for re-typing your post after I accidentally deleted it! Hope someone has some more information for you
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Prabu,

I have no experience on Australia but want to wish you well on your decision and health.

It is good to have options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Keith.

Yes, I agree. We should have multiple options. If medical costs are not covered by insurance it will be financially tough for me to survive in Australia. So better to stay here if I am not able to get right insurance coverage for WG

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

6. Likes bobjannj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prabu View Post
    Thank you Keith.

Yes, I agree. We should have multiple options. If medical costs are not covered by insurance it will be financially tough for me to survive in Australia. So better to stay here if I am not able to get right insurance coverage for WG

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk
    It is unfortunate that our living options are often dictated by the health insurances. I feel I have to stay in my home state where I worked for the state cause my health insurance for retired state employees has maximum benefits for my medical services inside our state with limitations or decreased benefits for any services from outside our state.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz,
    A lot of people are unaware of what you just said. My husband just explained to me that if a person paid only a limited amount or no amount at all into Social Security, they will not qualify for Medicare. Many state employees don’t even know this until it comes to retirement, and in our case extensive health care. I also asked my husband what would happen if you did leave the state, and he said, as you did, you are at risk of cleaning yourself out. We all have enough to worry about with this disease and seeking treatment without this. For this reason, it is a wise move for those US readers to consult with a CFP regarding future retirement/health care options.
    drz, you did a great service for others by bringing up this subject.
    I hope you are in a state you enjoy.
    Masha

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Prabu,

Unfortunately having a pre-existing illness may make it harder for you to obtain residency in Australia.

Immigration laws have been tightened up in Australia, and therefore, if you have an illness, it will be considered in your application to migrate.
    You may be rejected based on the potential costs to the tax payer, or you would be treated as a foreigner and would then pay a very lot for basic health care, if you can migrate and get Medicare here in Australia

I also know of someone that has been kept away for 5 years, due to suspected TB

Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

12. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read this. Not sure u have seen it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal...e_in_Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michelle, is it the same for New Zealand ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really sure Debs

I know that they have very strict policies in New Zealand, so it could be the same or harder.

Are you thinking of becoming an Aussie neighbour ??
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

17. Likes Alysia liked this post