Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your Hospital like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is your Hospital like?

The main hospital that I attend is a teaching hospital with a campus spreading over a vast area. The hospital itself is split into two sites separated by about half a mile. Due to its size, the place is a permanent building site with old parts being demolished or refurbished and new parts built.

The oldest parts are still Victorian -

sellyoak.jpg

The most recent are more modern -

Queen_elizabeth_hospital_birmingham.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack; 02-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is impressive Jack. What is the population of metropolotain Birmingham area. My local hospital is in a city of about 17,000 people with about another 40,000 people in surrounding towns, villages, and farms extending far away as 120 miles or more. The hospital I go to in Saskatoon is much bigger but not as big as yours. Saskatoons population is about 250,000 people and has a university hospital and 2 others. Saskatoon is about 170 miles from where I live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Population of Birmingham is around one million, but because of its facilities, people visit from about a 50 mile radius.
    There are of course lots of other hospitals in the area, mostly smaller, but the other one that I occasionally attend is quite big too.
    Last edited by Jack; 02-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where I live is a teaching hospital and serves a population of 200,000. The hospital that I frequently go to is Medical University of Charleston and that is a nice size teaching hospital. I love it, beach is right there and good shopping/resturaunts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to Hospital for Special Surgery (affiliated with Cornell) for rheumy and St. Luke's Roosevelt (affiliated with Columbia), big NYC teaching hospitals that must serve hundreds of thousands of patients a year. My ENT at St. Luke's where I will have my surgery says that the nurses in the recovery room are wonderful, but that he wouldn't speak to conditions "on the wards" but think "big teaching hospital." Which I know means it's not going to be about patient care, but rather about training the docs. But I'll only be in overnight, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to Johns Hopkins. There are 2 campuses in Baltimore (maybe more?). Most of my docs are at Bayview campus. The main campus takes up MANY city blocks. It's like a small city-- building after building, and new ones going up. I couldn't begin to guess how many patients they see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abbotsford Regional Hospital is only 7 months old. The lobby resembles a hotel lobby and is 4 stories high and has Sturbucks. It also has a new to the area Cancer Center. The surrounding area has about 200,000 people.
    Jolanta

In a beautiful, quiet trailerpark, surburban Vancouver, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Abbotsford

Hi Jolanta, I assume you had a good trip. We really do live close to each other, son was in Abbotsford hosp. after being badly beaten, so I was there every day. Watch out, there might be a beige Toyota on your driveway one day, especially if you are making coffee But, since I don't have your address, I might stand in the town square and holler your name! Seriously, it would be fun to meet. Moyan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That must have been a really rough time for you Moyan. I'm sure your son appreciated all the time you spent with him, just being there for him probably healed him quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to Mass General (also a teaching hospital) and for anyone in the New England area I give it two thumbs way up. The service I received while admitted was tremendous and the Wegener's docs are great. However, driving any where near the hospital is a bit of a nightmare
    Vasculitis Foundation medical consultants provide advice by telephone or e-mail to physicians who treat patients with Vasculitis.
    If you don’t have a Wegener’s doctor, please click the link and contact one or Sangye will be very upset! http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/node/44

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast