Likes Likes:  6

Thread: My hands are losing circulation while sleeping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My hands are losing circulation while sleeping

This just started happening two nights ago, when I woke up my entire left hand was numb and blue and I couldn't move it at all, but after sitting up restoring circulation everything went back to normal. And now last night on my right hand my thumb, index and pinky were numb.

I did search Google but I'm wondering if this could be a GPA thing. I did search the forums and saw people on high dose of prednisone having similar issues but I'm only on 5mg of prednisone daily.

So, what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My hands are losing circulation while sleeping

I experienced this one time recently, also while in bed. It also went away upon moving around. I am not on any prednisone at this time. My feet and up my legs to my knees are always numb, toes and feet always cold, purple and numb. My hands are always cold. If I sleep on my back with my hands on my stomach (elevated), it also happens to some degree. For me , it is neuropathy. When I was first diagnosed, I had a lot of blood clots in my legs. That was 10 years ago, and the neuropathy has been gradually getting worse over the years. I am on azathioprine for maintenance, but I still have some Wegener's symptoms, especially when I do much of anything. I see a neurologist, but she hasn't found anything to stop the progression. Hope yours doesn't get worse!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    This just started happening two nights ago, when I woke up my entire left hand was numb and blue and I couldn't move it at all, but after sitting up restoring circulation everything went back to normal. And now last night on my right hand my thumb, index and pinky were numb.

I did search Google but I'm wondering if this could be a GPA thing. I did search the forums and saw people on high dose of prednisone having similar issues but I'm only on 5mg of prednisone daily.

So, what do you think?
    It may have something to do with a straining position of your hand(s) and/or body weight on top your hand(s) for a prolonged time while sleeping.

Otherwise under normal circumstances would not be a problem, but since Weg interferes with small and capillary blood vessel circulation, add weight or unnatural resting position, and your hands don't receive sufficient blood circulation. Specially if you sleep on your side, like I do.

The natural resting position for your hands would look like holding a tennis ball.
    I finally found a decent pillow that's designed for side-sleeping.

That's been my experience and I did manage to prevent it from happening.

Ed.

4. Likes Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my doctors recommended I use the wrist braces they sell in drug stores for carpal tunnel. I didn't think I had it and his exam didn't confirm it but they seemed to help with numbness in my fingers. Another doctor in the nerve test did confirm I had such symptoms so I got the braces. I just sleep with them on at night. Might be worth a try for you. Mine only cost about 20$ each and are comfortable to wear and don't interfere with my sleeping.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it is raynauds phenomenon ? It can apear in vasculitis. Please consult with your dr.

https://www.rheumatologyadvisor.com/...ds-phenomenon/
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

8. Likes seied, John S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia could be correct.
    I'm not sure where you live Orpheus, but I have Raynauds and it is worse in Winter.
    Thankfully it is Summer in Australia at the moment.

My hands still sometimes go numb during Summer, but not as much. It also depends how I am sleeping.
    Sleeping on a shoulder incorrectly, can also cause hand numbness, as can sleeping with your hand under the pillow/under your head.

I hope you get some answers
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

10. Likes Alysia liked this post