Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dry cough

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well

For many months, maybe more then a year now, that I have an annoying dry cough which is not getting better, and is slightly getting worse.

My lungs dr. Found only tiny obstruction in the spirometry test, which can't explain the cough. Doing inhalation in his office didn't change the spirometry test. He said that it is not asthma. X-rays of chest and sinuses are clear (except from old scars). Labs are ok, C-anca and pr3 negative. Last rtx was on Nov 1.

I cough every morning, also allways after a rest or a nap (when I stand up after I lied down). Eating or drinking can also be a trigger. I dont have any heartburn. Each cough can lasts around 20 min until it calms down. I dont have post nasal drip. No productions from the cough. It feels similar to the cough I had during the year before the wg started.

I am going to see my ENT on Thursday maybe he can help to understand what is it. I hope he will scope my throat.

Any idea what it might be ? Wg related or other ? What should I ask my docs to test ?

In my colitis group they suggested silent reflux but I dont have heartburn and my cough can come after long night without any food.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thank you for being here
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dry cough

I’m not sure I would rule out silent reflux just yet. Also, chronic bronchitis and COPD should be investigated. A chest x-ray might be in order as an unexplained cough could be symptomatic of lung cancer. Sure hope it’s nothing serious...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Pete on the chest X-ray. I just had one with the bronchitis.
    This may sound very simple, but how dry is your house? I have two small humidifiers working through the night. Tell us what the ENT says. Prayers.
    Masha

5. Likes annekat, whatthewhat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say the same as Masha about the humidity. I can have a dry throat even after drinking water. I heat with wood so should use a humidifier. Especially in winter when air outside can be dry and wood heating happens more. But my coughing is just here and there and not enough to cause much worry. Also, your coughing for 20 minutes reminds me of what used to happen when I started taking pred. Before WG diagnosis, when prescribed short runs of it along with antibiotics for "sinus infections". When in the higher doses, like 40 or 50mg, maybe an hour or two after taking the pill, I would start a heavy, dry cough for 10-20 min. Once I was in a restaurant with friends and had to excuse myself to finish the coughing in the restroom. My ENT didn't think much of it but another doc said pred could do that. Eventually it stopped happening.. Well, I highly doubt that would apply to your current situation, but thought it might be of interest. Another thing to consider might be allergies.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

7. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is the same
    Rather annoying when it kicks in, but only lasts for half an hour or so ………... until the next time.
    Sometimes I can manage to cough out a piece of dry crust, obviously down from the sinuses, but most times it is just there and especially after I drink water or have something to eat.
    Thoughts were gerd/silent reflux, but doctor thought that then it wouldn't clear up after a little while, without taking anything for it.

I also don't think that humidity is the problem because I still had it on holidays in Singapore last year, and that was super humid.

I would also welcome any home remedies to fix this.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

9. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have much to add medically, but I just think you're great around here and I hope you get the care you need to get rid of that cough. Blessings to you.

11. Likes annekat, whatthewhat, Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some elderberry lozenges I got at a supplement store which I take once in awhile when a dry throat or cough is bothering me. I think they help. I don't like the lozenges that contain menthol because I think the relief is only temporary and the menthol makes it worse.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

13. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our daughter had an inexplicable cough and finally she was compliant with a prescription for a once a day inhaler and that did the trick. It was this weird dry cough kind of like yours, not all day. The doc had also recommended a humidifier, and they also ran tests for everything. So, basically, I agree with everyone, especially the post about how great you are!

15. Likes annekat, mishb, Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatthewhat, I'm guessing this once a day inhaler contains a steroid such as fluticasone, and a common brand name is Flovent, which I take. Some people take it twice a day. But the point is you take it not in direct response to the symptom, but as a preventative, if taken regularly. A dry cough can be a type of asthma, even if you don't think you have it. The steroid reduces inflammation in the airways and opens them up, reducing the need for the rescue inhalers some people keep on hand in case of sudden coughing or trouble breathing. So I'm not saying you or whatthewhat's daughter have asthma, Alysia, because I don't know that, but you might ask your doctor about this. Or it could be a slight bronchial or subglottic stenosis. And I agree about humidity, but not the kind that occurs during hot weather in some geographic areas. I've heard the humidity in the eastern third of the US can be crushing and very hard on asthmatics. But a humidifier in a comfortably cool room could be very helpful. I hope you get this figured out!

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

17. Likes mishb, Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a cough for two months. Finally diagnosed with sinusitis and Bronchiecstasis. Had sinus surgery 2 weeks ago. Now doing better. My cough was somewhat productive but was sometimes dry. I have had WG since 1981. This was my third sinus surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast