Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ancestry

Have any of you researched yours? I just started and have met up with a few relatives I haven’t seen in years. Mine will have to go back to Eastern Europe and Italy. Wish there was a way to know who suffered from what ailments. Nothing mind boggling yet, but a friend found five half siblings in another country she never knew she had, eee gads. Her papa had a secret life he left behind. No secrets with DNA...
    Masha

2. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ancestry

I haven't, would love to. My mother and great aunt have pretty thoroughly catalogued everyone in America on their side of the family, and my dad's parents were immigrants from England, so all the research would be in the British Isles and a little bit of France. Maybe some German, back in the distance, not sure. Nothing exotic, probably, except the Frenchman. Wouldn't it be interesting if we found evidence of possible WG, which of course they would have died from, or other autoimmune diseases.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by annekat; 02-09-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

4. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done several DNA procedures. I like the health research one of them does on a voluntary basis for many health issues. I have reported some of my health issues on some of their research quetionaires. GPA has not been a topic so far but they have asked about many other health issues. I hope some of the research might help discover the common link in auto immune diseases.

Most of my DNA relatives tend to be rather distant relatives that i don't know and have no idea of how we are related. The closest ones are relatives I am already aware of or at least know about the family connection on how we are related. I have met some distant cousins where we can establish how we are related, like having a common great grandparent. Or some times a common ancestor further back.
    Last edited by drz; 02-17-2019 at 04:04 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to do the health research too.

8. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can look in some of my mother's and great aunt's documentation and try to find out what people died from or what ailed them. That would probably only be for people who'd come to America. I know that one ancestor was hung as a witch in Salem, during that notorious time in our history. I have info on her immediate family and the subsequent marriages that lead to closer relatives.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t it be awful if they hung her because of our saddle backs, or maybe she was coughing too much.. See how sleepless we are with prednisone, at least you are on west coast time. It is 3:50 am here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be interesting if we can find something in common... I didn't check my DNA. My parents have documents about their origins. Their ancestors were Marranos from Spain who esccaped to the Middle East. My father and mother are cousins from 7 generations ago. As far as I know, no one in my very big family suffers from AI disease unless you define Parkinson's disease as such, then my mom suffers from it.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

13. Likes Masha, annekat, whatthewhat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Wouldn’t it be awful if they hung her because of our saddle backs, or maybe she was coughing too much.. See how sleepless we are with prednisone, at least you are on west coast time. It is 3:50 am here.
    You mean our saddle noses? I wouldn't put it past them. Actually, she was condemned because of a property line dispute, or something of that nature. In such a case, someone could report her as a witch, with some kind of trumped up evidence, and that would be it. She was just a sweet old grandmother named Rebecca Nurse, and I feel funny naming her because I believe there are probably thousands of people by now who claim, and likely are, descendents of hers. But my mother had the documentation obtained from records in Salem connecting her to my grandfather, who grew up in upstate New York, through a child of one of Mrs. Nurse's sons. My mother is gone, so I'd have to find it among my disorganized piles of papers. I'm sure there are many books written about the witch trials, and there is the play, The Crucible, and at least one movie. A book I enjoyed reading is The Devil in Massachusetts, don't remember the author

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

15. Likes Masha, whatthewhat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been doing Ancestry research for the past ten years or so.

I have fund a couple of ancestors that have kidney failure (or words similar) on their death certificates.
    It always gets me thinking - there has to be a reason for kidney failure ……….right

I haven't gone the DNA path yet, but a wonderful lady found me, and she lives in the UK, and was married (since deceased) to my father-in-laws nephew.
    So she was married to my husband's cousin.
    We have an entire new family now, and I also found her on facebook, which makes it so much easier to have a conversation now, instead of waiting for emails or letters.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

17. Likes annekat, Masha, whatthewhat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Have any of you researched yours? I just started and have met up with a few relatives I haven’t seen in years. Mine will have to go back to Eastern Europe and Italy. Wish there was a way to know who suffered from what ailments. Nothing mind boggling yet, but a friend found five half siblings in another country she never knew she had, eee gads. Her papa had a secret life he left behind. No secrets with DNA...
    Masha
    Yes. Genealogy has been a computer hobby for decades. Around the time I got sick I got bored enough to spend part time at it. Pretty mind boggling. My Maternal grandfather I believe died of Vasculitis. His mother died of GI disease which could easily have been Vasculitis. No way to confirm but since my son & I both have it - hope to join some Vasculitis research studies. Have a ginormous family tree (over 50,000 people) on Ancestry and recently sent in a comprehensive DNA test.
    Now just Wishing the Rituxan would begin working! Still very sick & miserable. Hope all of you are doing good!

19. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast