The bad news is that Prednisone caused me to get diabetes. When I saw my endocrinologist my number was 7.8. Not enough to warrant insulin, however requiring some medication. He put me on a very old but proven drug, Metformin. After three months my number decreased to 7. The drug however, gave me a problem with diarrhea. So he just switched me to Tradjenta. I self test daily and those numbers have dropped considerably. This is good.
I know that a reduction in Prednisone will eliminate the diabetes. I was able to drop to 10 mg easily. Per Pete’s advice, slow going after that. It took me a month of Sundays to get to 9. I made it to 8 3/4 without sinus or dental issues. Then WOW, a week ago I woke up and could barely move my legs. Remembering Alysia talking to Richard that his horrible leg pain may be due to a change in Prednisone, I increased mine back to 10. Then, BINGO, like magic the leg pain subsided. I can get back to 9, but I feel stuck there
So now you are hearing, me do something I don’t often do, complain. Vdub once said this disease makes planning difficult. How true.
But back to a little positive thinking, the first thing I thought of with that leg pain was ‘thank God I don’t have to go to the office.’ Retirement is wonderful.
The only thing on my agenda was to do some Nuno felting, which, by the way was invented by an Australian woman in 1992. It is great mental and physical therapy. I limit my art supplies to no toxins since Wegeners diagnosis, Nuno felting is about as safe as you can get, just soap and water.
Anyone else out there in the diabetes/prednisone fight?
Masha