Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just Diagnosed 13/12/18.

Hi,

My name is Suzanne and I was recently diagnosed on 13.12.18. It was a big surprise but in a way, a relief.

I am a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed with the disease at the age of ten. Diabetes can be a pain in the ass but so can lots of things and on the whole, I have coped well with it. I've always made the diabetes fit in with my life, not the other way around.

The first symptom of Wegeners (GPA) for me was ear infections that would not clear up. My hearing was getting worse and worse in both ears and I had a horrible discharge. The ENT initially diagnosed me with CSOM with Cholesteatoma. I had an operation in November 20108 to remove the Cholesteatoma however, when I went back to see my ENT after the operation, he informed me that the biopsy taken from my ear showed dead tissue and possible signs of GPA. I already have only 22% kidney function which was thought to be due to my diabetes but now not so sure.
    Further blood tests, Urine samples, Chest Xray were done. ANCA readings showed that GPA was the diagnoses. Thinking back, I had bad blood noses at Christmas time last year with bright red blood and clumps of blood. I also started to lose weight suddenly without trying. Didn't think much of it as I live in Darwin Australia and it's very hot at the moment so just thought I was eating less. The loss of hearing was bad enough, but then I had a pounding head and I was told to go to the hospital immediately.

I have now been put on antibiotics and steroids and I had the best sleep I have had in about 6months. My ears have dried up a bit, still can't hear well but no pounding head. I have a lot more energy. Finally some relief. Unfortunately the steroids throw raise my blood sugar levels which are usually pretty good. I now have to monitor even more closely so that's an added complication but on the whole, I feel better.

Just wanted to say Hi and try and gain more information as I know with my diabetes, having others that understand and can relate makes a huge difference, especially in the tough times. So glad I found this forum.

Suzanne

2. Likes bobjannj, Pete, annekat, drz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just Diagnosed 13/12/18.

Hi Suzanne and welcome to the best forum around, if you find yourself unlucky enough to be here that is.

Great to see another Aussie, although I'm so sorry that you have received a GPA diagnosis.

If you are on facebook, we have an Oz/NZ group that you are welcome to join. It is only open to people from Australia or New Zealand, because of the different medical systems that we have, compared to our overseas friends. I have put the link below.
    We even have a couple of people from Darwin. I'm glad the NT are starting to recognize the symptoms.

Unfortunately for a lot of people, diabetes becomes part and parcel of GPA/prednisolone life.
    Hopefully you can find a way to fit both GPA and diabetes in to your new daily routine.
    I'm glad you are starting to feel better.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/516643745050360/

Take it easy
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

4. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for your message. Yeah, you have to be very careful when researching GPA and ensure you're on an Australian/New Zealand website and not American as it suddenly doesn't make too much sense due to the differences in the way we do things and some of the names etc.
    I'll certainly have a look at the facebook page. The more info the better.
    I'm feeling pretty positive as I feel like something is being done now and things are happening. Things were just getting worse and worse. I'm on the up now so happy days.

It's hit and miss in the NT with anything medical as the population is very transient. I think I have a good doctor but time will tell and if not, may move back to Melbourne as a bigger place with more choice and I know the Austin hospital in Melbourne is very good with Vasculitis.

Thanks again.

6. Likes mishb, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Suzanne. Greetings from Alaska and another victim of this strange illness. My presenting symptom was also sudden hearing loss, initially treated as an infection. This was followed by terribly nasal crusting and nosebleeds. Fortunately I was diagnosed relatively early (several years ago) and to date I have no vital organ involvement.

Good that you are getting some immediate relief. No doubt you will be put on another drug to induce remission once the prednisone has banked the flames.

8. Likes drz, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alskatom,

Thanks for your message. It's really great to hear other peoples experience with GPA and know that you're not going insane or a hypochondriac.
    I don't like being the person who always has some illness but it's hard to hide when you lose hearing and weight, people tend to notice.

Yes, I think there will definitely be some shuffling around of medication as I've just started on initial dose so it's trial and error at the moment but so far so good.

Thanks
    Suzanne

10. Likes Pete, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suzanne, regarding BAHA, there is an external, i.e. not implanted device called the SoundArc made by Cochlear. It is generally offered as a "demo" of how you might respond to the implant, but can be used long term. It's not perfect, but I am happy with it for now. It's made a big difference in my daily life. And, as Drz noted, a surgeon would want to see you in a stable remission for some time before considering an implant.

12. Likes Suzanne, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alaskatom,

Yes, I was thinking that might be the case. The soundArc sounds like something I would benefit from greatly. I'll definitly ask my ENT about this.
    Really appreciate the feedback and advise as feeling pretty good now but just need the hearing improved so I can get back to work.

14. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it's possible you would do OK with a conventional hearing aid. Bone conduction device works much better for me, but your ENT and/or audiologist will be able to help you figure that out.

16. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    Hi,

My name is Suzanne and I was recently diagnosed on 13.12.18. It was a big surprise but in a way, a relief.

I am a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed with the disease at the age of ten. Diabetes can be a pain in the ass but so can lots of things and on the whole, I have coped well with it. I've always made the diabetes fit in with my life, not the other way around.

The first symptom of Wegeners (GPA) for me was ear infections that would not clear up. My hearing was getting worse and worse in both ears and I had a horrible discharge. The ENT initially diagnosed me with CSOM with Cholesteatoma. I had an operation in November 20108 to remove the Cholesteatoma however, when I went back to see my ENT after the operation, he informed me that the biopsy taken from my ear showed dead tissue and possible signs of GPA. I already have only 22% kidney function which was thought to be due to my diabetes but now not so sure.
    Further blood tests, Urine samples, Chest Xray were done. ANCA readings showed that GPA was the diagnoses. Thinking back, I had bad blood noses at Christmas time last year with bright red blood and clumps of blood. I also started to lose weight suddenly without trying. Didn't think much of it as I live in Darwin Australia and it's very hot at the moment so just thought I was eating less. The loss of hearing was bad enough, but then I had a pounding head and I was told to go to the hospital immediately.

I have now been put on antibiotics and steroids and I had the best sleep I have had in about 6months. My ears have dried up a bit, still can't hear well but no pounding head. I have a lot more energy. Finally some relief. Unfortunately the steroids throw raise my blood sugar levels which are usually pretty good. I now have to monitor even more closely so that's an added complication but on the whole, I feel better.

Just wanted to say Hi and try and gain more information as I know with my diabetes, having others that understand and can relate makes a huge difference, especially in the tough times. So glad I found this forum.

Suzanne

Sorry to hear you have to join our group but glad this resource is still avilable to help you. I have found it very helpful and supportive although many of the early users I got to know through this forum are gone. Much of their wisdom still lives on in posts from years ago and some times quotes from the past show up again. You can search the older posts too to find information about specific topics that are not being currently adressed.

My history is very similar to yours with type 1 diabetes for years, loss of hearing and several surgeries in left ear for cholestoma decades ago, and Wegs for past decade. I got a BAHA six years ago after Wegs took the hearing in my good ear and balance too in 2010. It also caused more kidney damage as well as lung damage from Wegs which added to the kidney damage and neuropathy I already had from years of diabetes. Wegs also made my neuropathy worse too. I started having nose bleeds too this year again but bloody nasal crusting was one of the early signs of Wegs before I was finally correctly diagnosed along with scleritis, roving joint pain, fatigue, weight loss, and blood in my urine from kidney damage. I went into the hospital initially with a misdiagnosis of pneumonia which was actually Wegs attacking my lungs and suspected broken arm which turned out to be joint pain and suspected bladder infection which actually was Wegs activity in kidneys. After my treatment for Wegs my nasal crusting reduced, joint pain decreased, kidney and lung function improved, and the pains in my feet for suspected plantar fascitis went away.

My diabetes causes more stress and work for me than Wegs as it is something you have to attend to every few hours. I am on Omni Pod insulin pump now and Dexcom G6 CGM which really help monitor my blood glucose levels. I like being tubeless from an insulin pump but don't like having to change the Pods every 36 hours. Of course the prednisone maintenance meds also has a negative influence on my blood glucose levels. I have also been on AZA for maintenance for 8 years.
    Last edited by drz; 12-18-2018 at 04:16 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

18. Likes mishb, Suzanne, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Drz,

Thanks for your message. I think now I know what it is, I feel like I can start taking control. A lot of the battle is being told different things by different people. none of who actually KNOW. It took me a long time to find an excellent endocrinologist for my diabetes but once I did, made a world of difference. I'm hoping I can do the same with Wegs.
    I've always travelled a lot and never let illness run my life and I don't want to start letting now.
    I know it's just the beginning and my meds will probably change a bit as I've only just started but I really want my hearing to get better so I can be in a room with lots of people and not feel completely isolated. I may need to get a BAHA too. Don't want to, but not much option. How is your hearing with the BAHA?

Suzanne

20. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast