Thread: Fructured Toe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fructured Toe

Hi,

So, years of pred's consuming have their costs. I hit the wall and fractured my toe, Thanks God for the small price - the little finger.

I spent hours yesterday at the outpatient clinic (like ER but not in a hospital). The weired thing was that after the impact of the paracetamol that I took for the pains was gone, I started to shiver with cold, so bad that my teeth were chattering loudly for a long hour. I felt like I am freezing but I didnt have fever. I had nausea and felt like almost fainting.

They gave me more pain meds, bandage to my feet and blankets until I felt better. Blood tests were ok so no infection. They couldnt explain what it was.

It happened to me again in the middle of the night although less severe. I still feel some chills and like freezing without having fever, and nausea which comes and goes. Also feeling exhausted.

I wonder if it might be related to being on the pred ? I remember but not sure something that someone wrote here years ago about us being on the pred and if we get some injuries ?? But I cant remember what it was... I think it was something that Sangy wrote ? anyone recall ?

Also, they said that I dont need a Tetanus vaccin but I remained with the question if we are alowed to get it, and more so, after doing some online reading, maybe we must get it ?

Thank you for being here, I love you all.
    Last edited by Alysia; 12-04-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: I tried to edit the title (wrong spelling) but couldn't make it...
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fructured Toe

Ouch!! Sorry about your toe, but it will heal in a few weeks. The chills seem like a side-effect of something. If not the pain med, then, perhaps, of the injury itself. Hope you’re back to normal soon!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes annekat, Arleta, Alysia, seied, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm sorry about your toe, Alysia! It must be painful, and the chills and shivering are hard to explain. Some kind of shock to your system, maybe? I don't remember the post you refer to, but I hope someone does. The last I knew, Sangye was active on Twitter, and I rarely go there, but I did PM her there a few times and she answered my questions. I also suspect she is still a member here and would respond to a PM, or maybe she will even see this. I hope your toe heals fast!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

5. Likes Alysia, seied, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once had an allergic reaction to contrast dye that presented like your symptoms. They had to flush it out of my system. Perhaps you are allergic to the pain med they gave you.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

7. Likes Pete, Alysia, annekat, seied, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, Ouch, a sore toe!
    I can answer the Tetanus vaccine question. I got one this past summer. It is not a live vaccine, so it is OK for us. I had no after effects from it. Two things to keep in mind, the questionnaire at the pharmacy asks if you are on prednisone and how much. At the time I was on 10 mg, and that was fine. The other thing to remember about vaccines, if you are currently being treated with Rituxan, you do not get the full effect of the vaccine. I felt that some protection was better than nothing. I would just suggest that whoever is administering the shot (in my case pharmacist) be fully informed of all your medication. I know you are on top of all this stuff, just doesn’t hurt to be reminded.
    The chills and nausea- I have experienced this with pain medication, antibiotics and prednisone. So pick your poison, could have been any of those that caused it.
    Please keep us posted. In the meantime you know I am praying for you.
    Masha

9. Likes annekat, seied, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about the toe. I broke mine stepping out of the shower years ago before diagnosis (banged it on the bathtub). Not fun.

As for the nausea/chills, I would bet they are a medication reaction. When I first went on Bactrim, I developed a cold sensitivity with my teeth. I'd order my drinks "no ice" when eating out it was so bad. Thankfully, it has subsided, but it was a rough first couple of weeks.

Since you are so on top of things, I'm assuming you get a bone density scan. I've been told to get one annually. I know they typically don't scan the toes, but how were your numbers last scan?

Know everyone around here is pulling for you. Take Care
    Last edited by richard052018; 12-04-2018 at 03:56 PM.

11. Likes Masha, annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injured toes can be inordinately painful. It sounds as if your symptoms may have been related to a generalized stress reaction to pain, injury. Paracetamol is another fancy word for Acetaminophen or Tylenol, unlikely to cause a reaction. Being on Prednisone however can cause us to be less able to deal with any stress.
    Trust you’re doing better now. Let us know!

13. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Bing505z is offline Banned for being a douchebag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Hi,

So, years of pred's consuming have their costs. I hit the wall and fractured my toe, Thanks God for the small price - the little finger.

I spent hours yesterday at the outpatient clinic (like ER but not in a hospital). The weired thing was that after the impact of the paracetamol that I took for the pains was gone, I started to shiver with cold, so bad that my teeth were chattering loudly for a long hour. I felt like I am freezing but I didnt have fever. I had nausea and felt like almost fainting.

They gave me more pain meds, bandage to my feet and blankets until I felt better. Blood tests were ok so no infection. They couldnt explain what it was.

It happened to me again in the middle of the night although less severe. I still feel some chills and like freezing without having fever, and nausea which comes and goes. Also feeling exhausted.

I wonder if it might be related to being on the pred ? I remember but not sure something that someone wrote here years ago about us being on the pred and if we get some injuries ?? But I cant remember what it was... I think it was something that Sangy wrote ? anyone recall ?

Also, they said that I dont need a Tetanus vaccin but I remained with the question if we are alowed to get it, and more so, after doing some online reading, maybe we must get it ?

Thank you for being here, I love you all.

Ouchie! I hope you’re feeling better Alysia….slow down and be careful over there and take care of that little toe!

15. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to be careful about a lot of things with long term pred use and lowered bone density. I once cracked a rib on my left side while cleaning my deep bathtub. People said it was probably just a bruised rib, but I swear I heard it crack . Then my brother in law said the same thing happened to him, and he's not even a Weggie, nor do I know of any pred use by him or anything about his bone density. Then other times I have done things like splitting wood and gotten a sharp pain which I figured was a bruised rib. Later an x-ray revealed a healed cracked rib on my right side, but no mention of the previous one when cleaning the bathtub. Whether cracked or bruised, these usually heal by themselves within a couple of weeks without medical intervention, but they are painful and do affect ones daily life. It would be smart to see a doc, but I didn't. I still split wood with a small hatchet, but try to avoid anything needing a splitting maul. Right now I have no rib pain.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

17. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Injured toes can be inordinately painful. It sounds as if your symptoms may have been related to a generalized stress reaction to pain, injury. Paracetamol is another fancy word for Acetaminophen or Tylenol, unlikely to cause a reaction. Being on Prednisone however can cause us to be less able to deal with any stress.
    Trust you’re doing better now. Let us know!
    Thank you so much, all of you, my dear friends, for your wise and kind comments and for being here with me.

My bone density shows ostheopenia. Lately I started again to walk daily in order to help my poor bones but now it will have to wait...

I think that kwnorton is right. Paracetamol doesnt make me any reactions. I stopped taking it but still have chills and nausea, although much less, coming and going. The pain is also less.

I think it is like kwnorton said, a stress reaction of a body which is on the pred. I found the thread I was looking for:

Not sure but maybe I was supposed to take more pred to help myself... Sangye described a more dramatic event. Anyway, a good reminder.

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis....=Sangye+stress

On page 2 Sangye wrote: (I copy)

This applies to anyone on pred and every doctor normally thoroughly informs a patient when s/he is put on pred doses 20 mg or higher for at least 3 weeks. (That's the dose and length of time necessary to shut down the adrenals) But PLEASE VERIFY this with your own doctor, as I cannot give medical advice.

If you have an accident, trauma, surgery, severe stressevent, etc. it can put you into an adrenal crisis, which means your usual pred dose is not enough to keep you alive. This is fatal within 24 hours if not addressed. Normally you need to take double your daily pred dose as soon as possible, but if you're already at higher doses (eg 60 mg or higher) you might need less. If you are unsure, you MUST call your doctor immediately (page them) OR go to the ER immediately.

This is also true for one year after you go off pred. You should always carry enough pred with you and your emergency card in your wallet and/or Medical alert necklace should indicate this.

Last edited by Alysia; 12-05-2018 at 05:36 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

19. Likes annekat, Masha liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast