Likes Likes:  26

Thread: hearing loss/baha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hearing loss/baha

Hi everyone, just updating on what I've learned about BAHA. I decided that for now I am not up for the invasive procedure/osseointegration option. I now have the external SoundArc device from Cochlear and am quite happy with it. It's still new for me and I'm playing with the programming and positioning, etc., but it's already making a huge difference in my day to day interaction with the world. If I block my "good" ear, I can actually hear out of the other one. It's slightly tinny, but so much better than being functionally deaf on that side. I've been testing it in the usual challenging environments, like grocery stores, restaurants.... Cosmetically, it just looks like I am wearing a bluetooth device or something. I can control the volume and some other adjustments with my iPhone. I can even stream music through it... which is weird and a little bit dizzying. If you have GPA related conductive hearing loss that has not been otherwise addressed to your satisfaction, you might want to look into it. Honestly, I did not appreciate how much I was not hearing until I got this.

2. Likes Pete, annekat, mishb, Alysia, Masha, Jaha, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: hearing loss/baha

It resembles the test kit they gave me for a week to try out before the surgery. It certainly convinced me it would be a great help in hearing more of what was happening around me.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

4. Likes Pete, annekat, Alysia, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Tom
    This "sounds" like a good compromise
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

6. Likes Alysia, NatriceRomeo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly right. It's just like the demo unit I was given before I had my surgery consult but is meant for long term use. No doubt the implanted device would be more effective, but this is pretty darn good - way, way better than the in canal device I initially tried.

8. Likes annekat, Alysia, drz, mishb, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just diagnosed with GPA and one of my problems is my hearing loss. Would you mind giving an update on how you dealt with your hearing loss and how you are doing now after getting your hearing device? I would really appreciate any help or information you can give me. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is convinced that I need a hearing aid. Every time I say something to her she asks "What?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    I was just diagnosed with GPA and one of my problems is my hearing loss. Would you mind giving an update on how you dealt with your hearing loss and how you are doing now after getting your hearing device? I would really appreciate any help or information you can give me. Thanks.
    GPA was the last straw in my hearing loss. I had experienced some loss as a result of too mant exposures to loud noises. I have about 40% hearing loss. Unaided, I don’t hear the higher and lower frequencies. It’s kind of like listening to a stereo with no woofers or tweeters. A pair of behind the ear hearing aids fixed that. I hear most of the sound spectrum now.

The downside is in noisy environments. While I hear everything, it’s difficult to separate what I want to hear from everything else. The other downside is cost. My aids cost a bit over $3K each, and my insurance doesn’t cover them.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

12. Likes me2, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Husband has 40 to 50% hearing loss. He went to Costco and paid 1500 each. If you get the right kind, you pay an extra $200 and you Blue Tooth hearing device for TV. Costco has given him great service. Now he hears everything except me asking him to do something.
    Masha

14. Likes Pete, Dirty Don, me2, John S, mishb, annekat liked this post