Thread: I need some advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I need some advice

Good afternoon my friends,
    I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this. I finally tapered off all prednisone. I timed it between my first round of Rituxin & my second since I knew they would give me a large dose of steroids. After my first round of Rituxin (this 6 months I mean not ever), I started having terrible back pain around my kidneys that kind of wraps around my belly. I tried everything to get rid of it. I notified my rheumatologist, she said that Rituxin can cause back spasms (who knew?). After a huge dose of steroids again at my second infusion the back pain went away & I jumped for joy. Then it came back! I was at the ER all night where they treated me like a drug seeker! I asked them to test my cortisol level & the ER said they
    Don?t do that. My rheumatologist says they are withholding Rituxin until this is figured out. The ER said my kidney function was fine. I don?t know what to do! I am following up with my PCP tomorrow & in the meantime I?m miserable!! Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I need some advice

This is a new one to me. Do you get your inflammation markers (sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein) checked regularly? They would indicate if there was abnormal inflammation, and that might start effective treatment. Also, have you tried a heating pad or used aspirin or Tylenol to reduce pain?

Hope you get relief soon...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Natrice,
    Tapering Prednisone is tricky. How much did you decrease, and at how fast a rate? If you read Pete’s old posts, it took him a very long time. This is the advice I am following. Like 1 mg. a month, then when you get to 5 it gets tricky. When I tried to get off too fast I had some weird reactions. This caused me to get back on it and the reactions disappeared.
    I am also getting my infusions now and using this as the time for prednisone decrease. Good luck to you. Please keep us posted.
    Masha

5. Likes Alysia, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is a new one to me. Do you get your inflammation markers (sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein) checked regularly? They would indicate if there was abnormal inflammation, and that might start effective treatment. Also, have you tried a heating pad or used aspirin or Tylenol to reduce pain?

Hope you get relief soon...
    Hi Pete,
    I?m a strange one. My ESR is never high, including during a flare. I will get a positive ANCA MPO during a flare. I have tried over the counter pain relief with no success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Natrice,
    Tapering Prednisone is tricky. How much did you decrease, and at how fast a rate? If you read Pete?s old posts, it took him a very long time. This is the advice I am following. Like 1 mg. a month, then when you get to 5 it gets tricky. When I tried to get off too fast I had some weird reactions. This caused me to get back on it and the reactions disappeared.
    I am also getting my infusions now and using this as the time for prednisone decrease. Good luck to you. Please keep us posted.
    Masha
    It took me over a year to taper off the prednisone. I know my body loves it. I tapered very slowly. After I got to
    5 mg went down 1 mg a month.

8. Likes Masha, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds not fun. I have no solutions but it couldn't hurt to try a hot epsom salt bath. The heat and the magnesium might help. I feel for you too about needing something for pain relief and being treated like a druggy. I currently have a terrible night cough that keeps me up for hours and injures my back with the strain. Can I get some codeine cough syrup for occasional relief? Oh hell no. I was told I MIGHT become a drug addict. Drs have just gone koo koo on the subject of opiates. When I was young codeine cough syrup was available over the counter and somehow I didn't become a heroin addict.

I do know that symptoms can change too. Hopefully this one gets tired of bothering you and moves ON.

10. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NatriceRomeo View Post
    Good afternoon my friends,
    I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this. I finally tapered off all prednisone. I timed it between my first round of Rituxin & my second since I knew they would give me a large dose of steroids. After my first round of Rituxin (this 6 months I mean not ever), I started having terrible back pain around my kidneys that kind of wraps around my belly. I tried everything to get rid of it. I notified my rheumatologist, she said that Rituxin can cause back spasms (who knew?). After a huge dose of steroids again at my second infusion the back pain went away & I jumped for joy. Then it came back! I was at the ER all night where they treated me like a drug seeker! I asked them to test my cortisol level & the ER said they
    Don?t do that. My rheumatologist says they are withholding Rituxin until this is figured out. The ER said my kidney function was fine. I don?t know what to do! I am following up with my PCP tomorrow & in the meantime I?m miserable!! Advice?

Hi Natty,
    Sorry for your pains. My "pred rational" says that it might be pred related: you have no pains while on 100mg. When its out of the body the pain comes. I think that the reduction from 100mg to zero is too BIG for the body to adjust. In my case, I couldn't reduce pred during the rtx times. On the contrary, I needed to add more pred after the IV to make it a gradual decrease. For example when I was on 10mg I took 20mg 2 days after the IV, then 15, and after thay back to 10.
    I know how hard you worked to be off pred and thats a risk of using it back. I understand. Just sharing my experience. I am allways on 5mg, sometimes on higher doses.
    Please update us how are you doing.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

12. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    It sounds not fun. I have no solutions but it couldn't hurt to try a hot epsom salt bath. The heat and the magnesium might help. I feel for you too about needing something for pain relief and being treated like a druggy. I currently have a terrible night cough that keeps me up for hours and injures my back with the strain. Can I get some codeine cough syrup for occasional relief? Oh hell no. I was told I MIGHT become a drug addict. Drs have just gone koo koo on the subject of opiates. When I was young codeine cough syrup was available over the counter and somehow I didn't become a heroin addict.

I do know that symptoms can change too. Hopefully this one gets tired of bothering you and moves ON.
    Cough syrupes never helped me when the coughing is WG related. I am sorry for your suffering. Did you see your lungs dr. ? I would go and check why do you cough so much, spirometry, X-ray etc. Please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

14. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I followed up with my PCP. She believes it is muscles spasms. I got a shot of Tordol & with an hour it helped! So, I guess you can add muscle spasms to the list of side effects of Rituxin. on another note, I told my PCP about my treatment at the ER and being treated like a drug seeker. She said... ?what do you expect? You have a chronic illness. People with chronic illnesses are seen all the time for pain in the ER.? I asked her if she knew the last time I was in the ER. It was like 8 years ago. & when I seek medical care esp in the ER, I expect to be treated like a human cause that?s what I am. My illness does not define me & that?s no excuse! I?m flabbergasted by this! I?m in the medical field, when I run into people with illnesses like ours-I will treat them more aggressively! Anyway, that?s my update. Thank you all for your concern.
    Natty

16. Likes Alysia, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in the initial stage of wegs, my pulmonologist prescribed tessalon perles for coughing. They reduced the coughing, but did not completely eliminate it.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

18. Likes me2 liked this post