Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Strict Dieting

A few years ago I had a heart attack and got several stents installed. After that incident, I went on a strict diet and lost 50 pounds. I was feeling great. Shortly after that, I started getting massive headaches, I had double vision, then one eye swelled up to touch my eyeglasses, giant nasal crusts.... I was in and out of the hospital for several months and on Prednisone for these symptoms. The 50 pounds came back with a vengeance. It was another year before I was diagnosed with GPA.
    Fast forward. I have been off of Prednisone for several months and I made a decision to try to lose weight again. I am now back on the diet. Also, I am diabetic.
    This morning my waking blood sugar was 99. I had 2 cups of coffee and will drink 4-5 glasses of water before eating lunch at 11. I'll have one poached egg on wheat toast, 4-5 strawberries and some cantaloupe. Then take 5 units of fast acting Insulin. For dinner, I'll eat 10 sautéed shrimp, a piece of wheat toast with honey butter and more fruit. Followed with another 5 units of fast acting insulin. Lots more water throughout the day. One Diet Pepsi around 8:30. I'll test my blood sugar before bed and determine if any slow acting insulin is needed.

I've already lost about 15 pounds, the first pounds come easy.

Am I risking a flareup?

2. Likes BenHornsby, andrew, mishb, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Strict Dieting

I lost nearly 60 lbs after my debacle with GPA...docs wanted me to do it, I've never had a flare due to the weight loss. Feel so much better on a daily basis. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

4. Likes BenHornsby, Alysia, John S, mishb, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re probably not risking a flare, but the Diet Pepsi isn’t doing you much good. Try sparkling water to get your fizzy fix.��
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

6. Likes Alysia, me2, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You’re probably not risking a flare, but the Diet Pepsi isn’t doing you much good. Try sparkling water to get your fizzy fix.��
    I'm going from 7-8 cans of diet pop a day. I like the flavor and I'm not dead yet. Losing about a pound a day now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever works for you, my friend!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,
    Congrats on the weight loss. The prednisone has caused me to balloon. In my wildest dreams I never expected to be a plump dumpling. I am coming down from high dose prednisone and want to see the numbers on the scale come down too. My appetite significantly decreases as the dosage decreases. This coupled with cooler walking weather in the south should help.
    As far as the Pepsi goes, you have come a long way. I was able to eliminate pop a few years back when I read an article about bathroom cleaning. It said if you run out of toilet bowl cleaner, use a can of pop. So I did, it worked and I never drank the stuff again.
    Keep up your hard work. What an inspiration!
    Masha

10. Likes Alysia, Dirty Don, John S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-22 pounds today

12. Likes Pete, Dirty Don, Masha, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    A few years ago I had a heart attack and got several stents installed. After that incident, I went on a strict diet and lost 50 pounds. I was feeling great. Shortly after that, I started getting massive headaches, I had double vision, then one eye swelled up to touch my eyeglasses, giant nasal crusts.... I was in and out of the hospital for several months and on Prednisone for these symptoms. The 50 pounds came back with a vengeance. It was another year before I was diagnosed with GPA.
    Fast forward. I have been off of Prednisone for several months and I made a decision to try to lose weight again. I am now back on the diet. Also, I am diabetic.
    This morning my waking blood sugar was 99. I had 2 cups of coffee and will drink 4-5 glasses of water before eating lunch at 11. I'll have one poached egg on wheat toast, 4-5 strawberries and some cantaloupe. Then take 5 units of fast acting Insulin. For dinner, I'll eat 10 sautéed shrimp, a piece of wheat toast with honey butter and more fruit. Followed with another 5 units of fast acting insulin. Lots more water throughout the day. One Diet Pepsi around 8:30. I'll test my blood sugar before bed and determine if any slow acting insulin is needed.

I've already lost about 15 pounds, the first pounds come easy.

Am I risking a flareup?

Hi John,
    I don’t think this diet will trigger the WG. There is research that suggests fasting 12-16 hours & eating 8-12 hours a day is beneficial & helps with weight loss. I don’t know if fasting will trigger an immune response however. I do know that eating healthy such as the autoimmune diet can help a lot with inflammation. I personally try to keep close to the autoimmune diet but I find it extremely difficult. Please keep us updated. I am interested to know how you feel! Good luck
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NatriceRomeo View Post
    Hi John,
    I don’t think this diet will trigger the WG. There is research that suggests fasting 12-16 hours & eating 8-12 hours a day is beneficial & helps with weight loss. I don’t know if fasting will trigger an immune response however. I do know that eating healthy such as the autoimmune diet can help a lot with inflammation. I personally try to keep close to the autoimmune diet but I find it extremely difficult. Please keep us updated. I am interested to know how you feel! Good luck
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My most recent blood test showed that my SED rate was much lower than the previous month.
    I'm not following the Autoimmune Diet as I usually eat one egg and a piece of wheat bread daily. I am eating lots of fruit, drinking lots of water and trying to keep to 3-4 ounces of meat per day. No snacking. And I end the day with one, deliciously fabulous Fanny May Trinidad. I think next month, I'll switch that to a Pixie though.
    Last edited by John S; 09-20-2018 at 12:07 AM.

16. Likes Pete, NatriceRomeo, Alysia, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still at -30. I hate being on a 2 week plateau. My blood sugar has been getting pretty low (70) and I've been feeling depleted so I have been slowly cutting back on insulin. For the last two days, I haven't had any insulin. I do take 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day.
    My blood sugar is now hovering at 95-115. I'm feeling less run down now so I'm going to resume exercises today.

18. Likes Pete, Jaha, Alysia liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast