Likes Likes:  6

Thread: IV Therapy for vitamins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IV Therapy for vitamins

This is an issue I've had for a long time. I cannot metabolise oral vitamins (iron, calcium, folic acid, vitamin D, B complex). I get severe stomach cramps and pains for days after even a single dose; this is bad on my heart, which is only pumping at 40% due to damage from WGs or my kidneys which are scarred from the same (had bilateral kidney failure and a heart attack before I got a diagnosis). I don't know if it's the vitamin itself or the fillers, as I cannot get a doctor to listen long enough when I start talking about this issue. I'm in WA and I use the UW clinic nearest me. I was also initially diagnosed at the UW hospital in Seattle. Now, while at the hospital, I was so anaemic and malnourished (medical anorexia) that I could not tolerate food let alone all kind of pills, so everything was done on IV. They gave me Iron, D, B complex and all my medications, staggered throughout the day, and I did not have any trouble absorbing it or tolerating it. In fact, I felt really good and like I was going to make it. I had it from them that that was normal, considering what was wrong with me. But now that I'm stable, I cannot get a doctor to give me vitamins (which I am essentially not producing or absorbing from food) in IV form. They want me to use the oral form. But I can't. Le Sigh. If anyone else has any suggestions, aside from switching doctors (I've done that 4+ times already in 3 years) I would be very, very thankful. :glare:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: IV Therapy for vitamins

I too have anemia and can’t tolerate any vitamins by mouth. Folic acid is just terrible on my stomach. So I tried to find an iron pill that does not contain it. Unfortunately, the one that is out there is not to be taken by people with high sugar levels, and as we know Prednisone causes our sugar level to rise. My Rheumatologist told me not to try any more vitamins and I am not. I am unclear as do you want the doctors to inject or are you willing to do it yourself? About 25 years ago my GP in another state gave me the medication to give myself vitamin B shots. It gave me the energy I needed and I can’t even remember why I stopped. I don’t know of any reason they wouldn’t let you give yourself the shots. I am thinking, ask your pharmacist if they have any patients doing this, then follow their lead. Also, I have heard there are some MD’s who practice holistic medicine. If you find one you don’t need to switch, just add on to your other doctors. Good Luck

3. Likes BenHornsby, drz, Alysia, Ebon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: IV Therapy for vitamins

Hi Glare,
    I had that problem of not being able to bear vitamins, not because of wg, but because I also suffer from collagenous colitis. My vitamin C in my blood was zero for more then a year. I was also anemic. My nutrition is very poor and limited.
    First, I suggest you to do blood tests to see what is lacking and if you can get it from food. I can bear eggs so Thanks God I dont have lack of vitamin B.
    I was told that there is no IV vitamins in my country. And that injections should be given everyday in a hospital setting. That was not an option for me.
    I couldnt bear "ensure" or "modulen" - formulas but maybe you can, ask your docs' permission.
    I suggest you to consult with gastro dr. maybe he can help.
    I was able to start taking vitamins pills after I started budezon which is a steroid for the colon.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

5. Likes Pete, Ebon liked this post