Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default One year in

This is the first anniversary of my diagnosis by Dr. Villa-Forte. Since then I have had four treatments with Rituximab. The treatments have come in pairs. I've enjoyed remarkable recovery for 4-5 months after each pair of treatments. The last month is Hell.
    Looking on the bright side, before the diagnosis, I was ready to die. I was tired of everything. The symptoms of massive headaches, sinus issues, hands covered with sores, body aches, eye aches, general malaise and depression were taking their toll on me.
    In recovery, I have so many bright days. I've been able to play guitars , ukuleles and mandolins again. I've been able to sing again. I've been able to fly model airplanes again. I've taken my grand children to Disney World and had a great time. I've been able to give good advice to the fellow that bought my businesses.

My next RTX treatment is in 28 days and I am experiencing many of the symptoms again. Perhaps they are not as severe as they were originally but I have learned to fear them. I'm pretty sure that I can make it through the month because I have faith that I will feel better soon.

2. Likes annekat, bobjannj, Jaha, Alysia, little jerry, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: One year in

Hi John,

If you’re having symptoms again, I suggest you give Dr Villa Forte a call. She may want to get your next rtx sooner than planned and prevent worsening of symptoms and disease damage. I think treating our disease effectively includes some gut hunches as well as prescribed treatments. There is no one size fits all treatment for the disease.

Good luck!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John.
    It's good to hear that RTX has worked well for you, albeit not lasting as long as you'd like. I've build and raced (for fun) a few model cars, but planes sound like a lot of fun (and skill).
    I'm hopeful to return to the US and maybe revisit Disney World sometime after my kidney transplant.
    Diagnosed April 1995

5. Likes Pete, NatriceRomeo, John S, Jaha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    This is the first anniversary of my diagnosis by Dr. Villa-Forte. Since then I have had four treatments with Rituximab. The treatments have come in pairs. I've enjoyed remarkable recovery for 4-5 months after each pair of treatments. The last month is Hell.
    Looking on the bright side, before the diagnosis, I was ready to die. I was tired of everything. The symptoms of massive headaches, sinus issues, hands covered with sores, body aches, eye aches, general malaise and depression were taking their toll on me.
    In recovery, I have so many bright days. I've been able to play guitars , ukuleles and mandolins again. I've been able to sing again. I've been able to fly model airplanes again. I've taken my grand children to Disney World and had a great time. I've been able to give good advice to the fellow that bought my businesses.

My next RTX treatment is in 28 days and I am experiencing many of the symptoms again. Perhaps they are not as severe as they were originally but I have learned to fear them. I'm pretty sure that I can make it through the month because I have faith that I will feel better soon.
    I too experience symptoms about 6-8 weeks out from infusion time. I usually need to go up on prednisone. Since I have been on rituxin i have been unsuccessful in totally tapering off the steroids. I’m trying a strict anti inflammatory diet to see if this helps. Can’t hurt any thing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Jaha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a blood test yesterday and my SE rate is down. Last month it was 19 and this month 14. It's strange that my symptoms are flaring while the SED marker is decreasing. I knw I'll feel better soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad that you have been able to live a fairly normal life after treatments. I'm wishing you all the best with your next Rtx infusions.
    Do you have your txs at CC? I am asking because, I will be having my 21st infusion there on the 27th of this month. Best wishes for further improvement.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I had a blood test yesterday and my SE rate is down. Last month it was 19 and this month 14. It's strange that my symptoms are flaring while the SED marker is decreasing. I knw I'll feel better soon.
    SED rates involve manual procedures and are not automated like most other lab tests so there can be errors if the test is not processed correctly. My local lab only does it right about 25% of the time and they never had it done right for a couple years until i brought it to their attention. I knew it was wrong cause i often had same labs done at Mayo and another large hospital where results were always normal as was the short term measure of inflammation CRP.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

11. Likes Jaha, John S, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    I'm glad that you have been able to live a fairly normal life after treatments. I'm wishing you all the best with your next Rtx infusions.
    Do you have your txs at CC? I am asking because, I will be having my 21st infusion there on the 27th of this month. Best wishes for further improvement.

Yes, I drive to Cleveland for treatments. I spoke with Dr. Villa-Forte yesterday. She advised me to take 10 mg Prednisone in the meantime.

13. Likes Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant make it more then 6 months without rtx. At the edges of the 6 months' period my wg becomes more active. I was once late in 6 weeks and got episcleritis (wg in my eyes) so I now set the dates for rtx infusions exactly every 6 months. I know weggies who get rtx every 4 months.
    Hang in there John, sending prayers.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

15. Likes John S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a cancellation in the chair for Friday so I was able to get a treatment. On the way home, we stopped in Celina, OH at the Pullman Restaurant. They make pies there every morning. We called ahead and ordered 3 coconut cream pies and one banana cream pie. We drove them back to Chicago and distributed all but one to grateful family and friends.
    If you're going to get sick and need treatment, have dessert.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Likes Jaha, Masha, jujube, seied, Alysia, Keith, richard052018 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast