Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Common Abbrevations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Common Abbrevations

A member asked me to post the key to some common abbreviations we use when discussing Wegs. I figure we should start a thread dedicated to them, and maybe Andrew can make it a Sticky for other members to find it easily.

I'll start a few:

Ctx = cyclophosphamide/ cytoxan

Mtx = methotrexate

Rtx = rituximab/ rituxan

SS= subglottal stenosis

Dx = diagnosis

ESR/ SED = Sed rate/ Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate

CRP = C-reactive protein

WBC= white blood cell

RBC = red blood cell

BUN = blood urea nitrogen

RF= rheumatoid factor

RA = rheumatoid arthritis

AI = autoimmune

UA= urinalysis

US = ultrasound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great list.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A list of the alternative names given to the commonly used drugs would be useful too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great list Sangye, you forgot to put Rolling on the floor laughing. hee, hee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thought, probably contentious, is, say for blood readings, to indicate normal values (or range thereof) and maybe what people with our condition can expect at various stages during the treatment. For drugs, typical doses could be useful - or an indication of whether we are on high, medium or low doses. This may be tricky as I know we are all different (thank goodness!) so it may prove impractical as typical values could be misleading. I get very confused with the numbers bandied around! I will leave it to the experts to add their knowledge to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that values are dependent on the actual lab and probably vary country to country (not to say that every lab has different 'normal' values but there may be two or three different values labs routinely use). I'll leave it to the others to suggest whether there is anything that people with our disease can expect at any stage except the unexpected! I'm just starting to learn this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, what Jan says is true (of course it is, she's an RN!). Lab values do vary by region. Not enormously, though. The best way to tell is to look on the actual lab report. It shows your reading and the normal range. If you are "high normal" or "low normal" that may be a problem or a developing problem. It's always best to be in the middle of the range for most tests. There are a few where zero is ideal. If you ask the group what a particular lab result means, it's best if you can provide the normal range from your report. When you talk to your doctors, ask them for the normal range when they tell you the result.

So everyone, jump in and add more abbreviations, normal doses, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye - Just to clarify, I'm not an RN (I bet you're confusing me with Lightwarrior!), I'm just a journalist that knows how to research things on the Internet. Since you bring up the issue of lab values, and you are a chiro, I wanted to ask you a question, because I think I've got this right -- have a friend who has a RF value that is within normal range but to the high end and also a sky high CCP. Doc told her blood work was normal because the RF was in normal range and the CCP was a "new test" so who knows if it's any good or not (total BS, by the way, as I am sure you know). My understanding is it is normal to be at 0 on that RF even if the normal range goes up to 14.9, because people don't typically have any of that in their blood. I was high, but asymptomatic, which led to the WG dx. In any case, she is going to see a rheumo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan, you're right-- I was TOTALLY confusing you with Lightwarrior. You two arrived close together--guess that just overloaded the motherboard of my mind....

Does your friend have any symptoms of RA? RF has false (+) and (-). Other conditions can cause RF in the blood and so can certain past history (eg malaria). CCP is a new test and it's true that they're not really sure about its accuracy yet. Here's some info about it, and when it seems to be accurate.

RA can be tough to diagnosis unless someone has a very classical presentation. Sometimes it takes a year or two for a diagnosis to be clear. Glad she's going to a rheumy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the thing that is so frustrating for her - she has the classic symptoms of RA, especially stiffness in the joints of the hands---she now has a lot of trouble with fine motor skills She went to him because she was symptomatic! And yes, I know other diseases can cause RF in the blood -- including all forms of vasculitis!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast