Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Knee Update - Coolief

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Knee Update - Coolief

As many of you know, my knee replacement was canceled in December and I did not have the time available to reschedule until the same time next year. I sought out alternatives to replacement and found my primary healthcare center just started doing Coolief. It is a series of RF Ablation treatments to the pain nerves in the knee. ABC news did a story on this procedure, and you can watch it here.

Here's a photo of the trial procedure where they use lidocaine to numb the pain nerves. If this procedure works, then they schedule you for the real one, with bigger needle and mild sedation. As you can see, there is no cushion in my knee. It is bone-on-bone, all the time--even behind the knee cap!

IMG_1625.jpg

I had mine done on Tuesday, March 13th. I had pretty bad discomfort on one of the needle sites, but it was bearable and the staff helped me breath through it. Now, a week later, I feel better than I have in over 2 years! I still have some soreness, but nothing like having to walk on an arthritic knee with no cartridge in it. They say it takes 4-6 weeks to take fully. If I feel this good now, I am going to be jumping up and down in 4-6 weeks.

If you have bad osteoarthritis in your knee, and are not ready for a total knee replacement, ask your provider if the do this type of procedure. I am sold--and it has only been a week!!

Enjoy your week everyone!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Knee Update - Coolief

This is awesome news Mike, I am super happy for you

How long do they say that this procedure works for before it needs doing again?

I'm looking forward to a photo of a jumping up and down/hopping on one leg Mike, in the near future
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

3. Likes Alysia, me2, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    How long do they say that this procedure works for before it needs doing again?
    Should last 6-18 months, depending on the patient, and it can be repeated multiple times.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

5. Likes Pete, BenHornsby, mishb, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike.
    I sent this thread to a friend, not weggie, so she can check if it can help her.
    Can you please update how are you doing since that procedure ? Can it replace a surgery or just helping the wait until the surgery ? Can the knee stay in this condition without developping more damages because of the lack of cartridge ? Thank you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I forgot about this thread
    My husband was recently diagnosed with the same.

He is still waiting for his 1st appointment with an orthopedic surgeon, to see what they have planned.
    I might mention this option.

I hope your knees are still keeping you upright Mike
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

8. Likes Alysia liked this post