Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: baha hearing loss questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default baha hearing loss questions

I think I have queried members at least once before about experience with BAHA, but I am asking again for your input. My experience with an in canal hearing aid has not been good at all. My ear canal is very small and the device just keeps coming out. The benefit is negligible, at best. Today I visited an audiologist and was strongly encouraged to consider BAHA. Until now, I have been hesitant. She said that I have excellent "bone scores", so that I probably will get a very good result from BAHA. I have insurance will cover the procedure, etc. My hearing loss has not objectively changed since I was diagnosed with GPA, but it is really wearing me down. Next step is to try a "headband" facsimile of BAHA for a few days. I would love to hear from anyone who has BAHA, good and bad experiences.

2. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: baha hearing loss questions

Hi Tom, do you know how your hearing-loss happened?
    Baha is for conductive hearing losses. It's an invasive procedure and the outcome depends on each individual. Have you ever tried a behind-the-ear aid with a custom soft silicone mold to fit your canal? They have more more powerful input which people with SNHL use, than the hidden in-ear ones that fall out. I've heard numerous of stories of those tiny in-ear aids, ranging from being lost in the wash, to mice taking off w/ them at night. Ha! The aids w/ soft molds are comfortable and more visually appealing than Baha. I would suggest a trial period with them, before surgery which you cannot return back from. Most employees in clinical settings will push on devices as it's a big money maker for a large corporation, which you will be the one to deal with the consequences, not them. From my experience, I would try all non-invasive methods first, one step at a time to that type of decision. -H.
    Last edited by Helen; 03-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.

4. Likes seied, BenHornsby, Lilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve worn behind the ear hearing aids for about six years. While my hearing is better, it’s still not great.

I have about 40% hearing loss plus tinnitus. Without hearing aids, I hear mid-range frequencies fairly well. The higher frequencies are tough for me to hear. The lower frequencies are better than the high, but still not good. With hearing aids, I can hear all frequencies ok. The thing about hearing aids is that they amplify everything. In noisy environments, it’s difficult to hear a specific voice and carry on a conversation.

Hearing aids aren’t cheap. Mine cost over $6,000 for the pair. Neither Medicare nor my supplement cover them.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

6. Likes Helen, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before Wegs I had a BTE aid in left ear which had severe hearing loss from numerous infections and surgeries. I have no middle ear bones left and had a mastoiodectomy decades ago to help treat a chronic infection and repeated cholesteatomas into the mastoid. This surgery made it easy to remove them without further surgeries.

I had adequate hearing in my right ear before Wegs took that away along with my balance. I was told a BAHA would help restore more functional hearing but I had to wait till I was into a drug induced remission for a year before they would do such a surgery because of high risk of infection into skull which could then enter the brain.

During this time my speech deteriorated which I thought was related to being in a drug induced coma for a couple weeks or at least that is what intubation seemed like to my family. I learned from my ENT surgeon that hearing loss had caused my speech to deteriorate and it would improve after my hearing was restored. I still had limited hearing in my left ear which became my good ear since my right ear was deaf so they would install the BAHA on the right side. You can't use the word hearing aid so they are no longer called Bone Anchored Hearing aid (BAHA) since Medicare will not cover any hearing aids so I got an osseointegrated hearing assistant that was fully covered by Medicare almost six years ago and it greatly improved my quality of life. Hearing loss is very serious handicap for social interactions and creates feeling socially isolated. You get tired of asking everyone to repeat everything and people get tired of doing it. I also noticed that my speech seemed to return to normal again too after many months.

The BAHA does not give me "normal" hearing but it is 80% better or so with it and I was very excited when i wore the test unit to see how much better life was with it. There are some down sides to life with aids. Increased risk of infection being worst one, hassle of batteries and squealing noise and feedback at times, which I can't hear so others tell me I am beeping when my insulin pump or CGM is calling for attention or my watch alarm is going off. It does make it easy to sleep in noisy settings since i am pretty deaf without the aids or if they are turned off.

But I can generally hear most normal conversation and watch TV great with my TV streamer putting the sound into my aids and also have a great remote mic that can be used with radio, IPod, phone player or in a crowded restaurant for hearing my dining companions. It works great for me in an exercise class so I can hear the instructor too since it streams her voice to my aids. Some facilities also have a teleloop setup to send sound directly to your aids although I have not found any in my locale. I miss a lot of lines when viewing non professional plays but musical ones seem to work better and I enjoy many concerts although I know I miss hearing some notes and lyrics in singing.

A rough analogy might be walking with a walker is not as great as normal walking but after life in a wheel chair or being bed ridden for a while, it sure feels good. I know it did for me. So likewise my BAHA is really great.

I have had both brands and have the old school surgery with a titanium toggle bolt screwed into my skull that was done six years ago. Most today use the magnetic ones with a minor surgery to install the magnet under the skin over the skull. Much easier surgery and healing and attachment of BAHA to your head. The only downside for magnetic BAHA is no MRI with it and I have had three or four in past few years.

Hearing aids are electronic so they keep improving like all things electronic. My BTE one is only a year old but is already surpassed by two newer and better models.
    Last edited by drz; 03-02-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

8. Likes Pete, Helen, Alysia, Lilly, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, yes... my hearing loss is a direct result of tissue damage from GPA, and is conductive in nature, not sensory/neural. I'm definitely with you in being wary of invasive treatment, but also very tired of dealing with the hearing loss. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Hi Tom, do you know how your hearing-loss happened?
    Baha is for conductive hearing losses. It's an invasive procedure and the outcome depends on each individual. Have you ever tried a behind-the-ear aid with a custom soft silicone mold to fit your canal? They have more more powerful input which people with SNHL use, than the hidden in-ear ones that fall out. I've heard numerous of stories of those tiny in-ear aids, ranging from being lost in the wash, to mice taking off w/ them at night. Ha! The aids w/ soft molds are comfortable and more visually appealing than Baha. I would suggest a trial period with them, before surgery which you cannot return back from. Most employees in clinical settings will push on devices as it's a big money maker for a large corporation, which you will be the one to deal with the consequences, not them. From my experience, I would try all non-invasive methods first, one step at a time to that type of decision. -H.

10. Likes Helen, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for that thoughtful reply - very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Before Wegs I had a BTE aid in left ear which had severe hearing loss from numerous infections and surgeries. I have no middle ear bones left and had a mastoiodectomy decades ago to help treat a chronic infection and repeated cholesteatomas into the mastoid. This surgery made it easy to remove them without further surgeries.

I had adequate hearing in my right ear before Wegs took that away along with my balance. I was told a BAHA would help restore more functional hearing but I had to wait till I was into a drug induced remission for a year before they would do such a surgery because of high risk of infection into skull which could then enter the brain.

During this time my speech deteriorated which I thought was related to being in a drug induced coma for a couple weeks or at least that is what intubation seemed like to my family. I learned from my ENT surgeon that hearing loss had caused my speech to deteriorate and it would improve after my hearing was restored. I still had limited hearing in my left ear which became my good ear since my right ear was deaf so they would install the BAHA on the right side. You can't use the word hearing aid so they are no longer called Bone Anchored Hearing aid (BAHA) since Medicare will not cover any hearing aids so I got an osseointegrated hearing assistant that was fully covered by Medicare almost six years ago and it greatly improved my quality of life. Hearing loss is very serious handicap for social interactions and creates feeling socially isolated. You get tired of asking everyone to repeat everything and people get tired of doing it. I also noticed that my speech seemed to return to normal again too after many months.

The BAHA does not give me "normal" hearing but it is 80% better or so with it and I was very excited when i wore the test unit to see how much better life was with it. There are some down sides to life with aids. Increased risk of infection being worst one, hassle of batteries and squealing noise and feedback at times, which I can't hear so others tell me I am beeping when my insulin pump or CGM is calling for attention or my watch alarm is going off. It does make it easy to sleep in noisy settings since i am pretty deaf without the aids or if they are turned off.

But I can generally hear most normal conversation and watch TV great with my TV streamer putting the sound into my aids and also have a great remote mic that can be used with radio, IPod, phone player or in a crowded restaurant for hearing my dining companions. It works great for me in an exercise class so I can hear the instructor too since it streams her voice to my aids. Some facilities also have a teleloop setup to send sound directly to your aids although I have not found any in my locale. I miss a lot of lines when viewing non professional plays but musical ones seem to work better and I enjoy many concerts although I know I miss hearing some notes and lyrics in singing.

A rough analogy might be walking with a walker is not as great as normal walking but after life in a wheel chair or being bed ridden for a while, it sure feels good. I know it did for me. So likewise my BAHA is really great.

I have had both brands and have the old school surgery with a titanium toggle bolt screwed into my skull that was done six years ago. Most today use the magnetic ones with a minor surgery to install the magnet under the skull. Much easier surgery and healing and attachment of BAHA to your head. The only downside for magnetic BAHA is no MRI with it and I have had three or four in past few years.

Hearing aids are electronic so they keep improving like all things electronic. My BTE one is only a year old but is already surpassed by two newer and better models.

12. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    Thanks so much for that thoughtful reply - very helpful.
    You can PM me if you have further questions.

Have you tried wearing a demo unit with a rubber band around your head to see how much it helps you. Most good places will insist on this before they consider surgery. It might even be an insurance requirement.

14. Likes Helen, Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the demo unit is my next step, later this month.

16. Likes drz, Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am wearing the demo unit for the next couple weeks. I have to say it is very exciting, as the amount of sensory input is literally dizzying. I have severe one sided conductive hearing loss. I have very small ear canals and lots of recurring wax build up, so I pretty much failed with an in canal hearing aid. Getting even a portion of my hearing back is a big deal for me. When my phone rings, I can now find it without running all over the place, and I can confidently have a conversation with the grocery checker or restaurant server. It's amazing. I am wearing the SoundArc unit from Cochlear.

18. Likes Pete, drz, Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    I am wearing the demo unit for the next couple weeks. I have to say it is very exciting, as the amount of sensory input is literally dizzying. I have severe one sided conductive hearing loss. I have very small ear canals and lots of recurring wax build up, so I pretty much failed with an in canal hearing aid. Getting even a portion of my hearing back is a big deal for me. When my phone rings, I can now find it without running all over the place, and I can confidently have a conversation with the grocery checker or restaurant server. It's amazing. I am wearing the SoundArc unit from Cochlear.
    It was a life changer for me and it sounds like it is having a big impact on you too!

Are you looking at a magnetic implant for surgery or old school one?

20. Likes Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast