Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: baha hearing loss questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: baha hearing loss questions

Leaning toward the magnetic one, as I infer from the info I've seen that the infection risk is lower. (I'm not currently on an immune suppressant but probably will be again at some point.) I've yet to talk to a surgeon though. I worry about complications, but I don't want the isolating effects of hearing loss to continue, and this seems to be a technology that works for me.

2. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason I have never heard of the BAHA. My EENT seems defeated by my ears. I have had E tubes over the years as most of us have. My left ear now has a perforated ear drum. My right ear has a tube in it, then it gets stuck with the fluid in my ear so thick it cannot get through. Every day my hearing is different. Sometimes I have white noise in one ear and the other is clogged up. Sometimes I hear loud noises that are not happening, because my cat is not reacting to the "noise" I hear. It sounds like someone is mowing the lawn, or chopping wood, etc....today, my left ear with the perforation has a light white noise, and my right ear is aching, and pressure. Tube is either clogged or fell out. Since my ears change daily, when I make an appointment for an ear problem, its usually gone or changed when I get to his office. Hearing loss tests have shown 30percent loss in my left ear with perforation. The right ear fluctuates with the tube issue. This type of hearing loss is very debilitating, just because of not hearing people around you in public, or driving problems because hearing sounds sound like they come from the opposite side of where you hear them. I was going to look into a cochlear implant, but now I am wondering about the BAHA. Did any one experience the ear drainage getting so thick that it would not drain? My EENT says its like glue, trying to suction it out. Last time in the office he used a very strong suction that made me feel like I was spinning out of control and falling off the table feet first!! I said..."What a Ride"!!!! So now at least I have something else to look into, and I have Medicare and BCBS C+ so maybe I can have insurance pay for it, that is if it would help me. Blessings to yall.
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

4. Likes Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had a consult with a BAHA surgeon yesterday, and am fairly certain I will proceed.

I definitely sympathize with what you are going through, though fortunately I have not experienced the drainage issue or any significant pain since I was acutely ill. What I have now is severe unilateral hearing loss and annoying bilateral tinnitus. I also have those phantom noises at times, and of course I can't tell where sounds are coming from at all. Just getting through a trip to the grocery store can be a major challenge!

I wonder why your ENT has not mentioned BAHA? Maybe for some reason you are not a good candidate for it? You might want to check out Cochlear's website - lots of good information there. You could also find out who in your area does the procedure and arrange a consult, or start with an audiologist to discuss your situation and options that might improve your situation.

It's my understanding that Medicare does cover this, unlike traditional hearing aides.

6. Likes Lilly, Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! Just going to the grocery store is a challenge for me TOO! I just turn and run right into people! Driving is difficult too. It really does effect so much, especially when its different and changing so much....its maddening!!! I am wondering if the acronym BAHA is the same type of procedure as a Cochlear Implant. I have been considering that, but I have not been able to have anyone who knows why I have the thick stuff that gets in my ears, instead of just the regular stuff that is relieved with an Eustachian tube. My EENT doesn't have an answer because none of his patients have never had it thick like mine. And as far as my other crazy issues with LOUD phantom noises, tinnitus, ringing in ear, ear being clogged up and fluid passing from one side to the other, pain and pressure in both ears.....he just said that wegeners has probably messed up the ear nerves and that is causing all the craziness. Today, I am only having some light "white noise and swooshing" in both ears, and less hearing in the left one, with the hole in it. It surely messes with my balance, so I do everything very slowly!! Thank you so much for your feed back and information. I am sorry you are experiencing the ear problems, its very difficult, and I know you are suffering like me. I hope you find an answer, and we can both get some good help. Blessings to you, stay strong!!!
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

8. Likes Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Yes! Just going to the grocery store is a challenge for me TOO! I just turn and run right into people! Driving is difficult too. It really does effect so much, especially when its different and changing so much....its maddening!!! I am wondering if the acronym BAHA is the same type of procedure as a Cochlear Implant. I have been considering that, but I have not been able to have anyone who knows why I have the thick stuff that gets in my ears, instead of just the regular stuff that is relieved with an Eustachian tube. My EENT doesn't have an answer because none of his patients have never had it thick like mine. And as far as my other crazy issues with LOUD phantom noises, tinnitus, ringing in ear, ear being clogged up and fluid passing from one side to the other, pain and pressure in both ears.....he just said that Wegeners has probably messed up the ear nerves and that is causing all the craziness. Today, I am only having some light "white noise and swooshing" in both ears, and less hearing in the left one, with the hole in it. It surely messes with my balance, so I do everything very slowly!! Thank you so much for your feed back and information. I am sorry you are experiencing the ear problems, its very difficult, and I know you are suffering like me. I hope you find an answer, and we can both get some good help. Blessings to you, stay strong!!!
    I have what used to be called a BAHA --Bone Anchored Hearing Aid. They changed the name to get them covered my Medicare and other insurances. It conducts sound through the skull via a titanium toggle bolt or screw implanted into the skull. I still have a working inner ear on other side that can pick up the sound waves from my skull. I also use a regular BTE aid on the side with limited hearing. I have no hearing on BAHA side.

The cochlear system has an implant that goes into the inner ear and one has to learn to decipher the vibrations into meaningful sounds. To confuse the matter more the Cochlear system also has BAHA processors. Both look the same from the outside. Most BAHA today is done with a putting a magnet under the skin next to the skull. Many people have asked me "BAHA or Cochlear?"

Many people who can't use regular in the ear hearing aids use a BAHA. Excess drainage or infections are usual cause to preclude a regular hearing aid.
    Last edited by drz; 05-21-2018 at 04:33 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

10. Likes Pete, Lilly, Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you drz and all the other weggies for the information! It has helped my understanding of the differences of the BAHA and the Cochlear. My ENT does not seem to offer any advice for me except a hearing aid. I will need to do one of 2 things. Either keep my ENT and discuss what I have learned, or look into getting a new ENT, before my ears are beyond help. I see my Rheumy tomorrow, the 22nd. I am going to see what he thinks I should do. I will let yall know! I just LOVE all the help and support I get from everyone on this amazing forum. Blessings and Love to all my Warrior Friends!! Peace to you all....:-)
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

12. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tinnitus can be the brains attempt to create sound to process when there is no working hearing. After Wegs destroyed the hearing in my good ear along with the balance I had a noise that sounded like a radio station that was not tuned in correctly. After I got my BAHA and got some return to more normal hearing my tinnitus also decreased a lot.
    Last edited by drz; 05-27-2018 at 02:08 AM.

14. Likes Alysia, Lilly, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi drz, I have read and re-read your post, because I am having so much trouble with my ears. One thing I have been concerned with is that my EENT has not done any tests to look at the internal parts of my ears since my hearing loss and left ear perforation. I have told him about all the things I am experiencing, tinnitus, loud sounds, pain, pressure, etc., and the fact that all these problems will happen in BOTH ears, not usually at the same time, but back and forth. I feel fluid behind my ears, but he says that's impossible....but I feel it. My next step is looking at visiting another EENT whose name was given to me from my eye doctor (I go to him for yearly check ups and glasses-my sister works for him, plus he is AWSOME!! and a friend) Anyway, I have been on and off the forum and posted some of this information on other threads, and am kinda collecting information from everyone who gives it. I do have a question that will be one of the first questions that I will probably ask a new EENT,....If my left ear now has a perforation in it, and has 30% hearing loss in it,.....and my right ear is still able to have a E tube inserted to drain fluid (but fluid is too thick to drain)…..Then why do I have the SAME symptoms, "loud white noise, continuous loud sounds, fluid back and forth, feels like cotton stuffed in ear, pain, pressure"...in both ears? Not both ears at once, but they each have the same symptoms. That doesn't make sense to me. Forgive me if I missed an explanation of this in yalls posts. I tend to jump from the forum, then another day there is information on a "wegeners facebook " page, so I go there. Thank you for this information drz, and all the others. I will keep posted on what happens to me. Love and Peace to all and Blessings....Lisa :-)
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

16. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think you need an EENT who will investigate what’s behind your symptoms. Good luck and better health!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

18. Likes BenHornsby, Helen, Lilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding a doctor to do a BAHA on you is much easier now than a few years ago. Six years ago Mayo wouldn't do one on me unless I came up with $60,000 cash to pay for it but the only other option I knew about was the Hearing Clinic at the U of MN and they were willing to do it for Medicare rates. Since then I have found two other doctors closer to home who both have experience with doing BAHA's.
    You can check with Opticon and Cochlear and both will give you a list of vendors that can install their products and also help you with insurance details for purchasing a BAHA. Neither are very efficient in my experience but Medicare requires that you go through them to purchase a BAHA and many insurance companies might be the same way. If you find a name on both of their lists, they should be OK to sort out your issues.

20. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast