Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High altitude and Wegeners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default High altitude and Wegeners

Any known effects of high altitude on Wegeners, especially if contained within the sinuses? Did an Internet search, but couldn’t find any information.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: High altitude and Wegeners

I’ve flown in pressurized airliners in which the cabin altitude is 8,000 feet and also roamed at about 7,000 feet in the Swiss Alps with no problems. At disease onset, my sinuses, ears, and lungs bore the brunt of it. I’ve since recovered to almost my pre-wegs lifestyle.

Unless you have other issues such as lung damage or tracheal stenosis, I doubt you’d have problems.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for info. Actually it’s my daughter with Wegeners and we are planning our annual mother/daughter trip and thinking of Denver . She’s not officially in remission, but with bi-annual rituxan treatments, she’s doing pretty well. Was concerned about possible breathing issues at high altitudes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have problems clearing my sinuses. I cannot scuba dive due to this reason. I fly for my job but the maximum cabin pressure we fly is at 3000 FT. If I know I’m going to fly at higher altitudes I use Afrin nose spray. This opens the sinuses & makes it easier to clear your sinuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good suggestion about nasal spray. I'll make sure she brings some. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NatriceRomeo View Post
    I have problems clearing my sinuses. I cannot scuba dive due to this reason. I fly for my job but the maximum cabin pressure we fly is at 3000 FT. If I know I’m going to fly at higher altitudes I use Afrin nose spray. This opens the sinuses & makes it easier to clear your sinuses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NatriceRomeo What airplane do you fly in that maintains a 3,000 foot cabin? A wannabe jet pilot is curious.��
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m a flight paramedic. Fly in both a helicopter & a small plane. I’m sorry I don’t know what the model is.

12. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! That explains the relatively low cabin altitude.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes - compromised immune systems seem to be more sensitive to Barotrauma, which creates negative pressure within ears, and effected by the eustachian tubes (ETs). The sinuses, ears and ETs require the "healthy" ability to function to equalize pressure when needed. If sinuses are compromised, the temporary fast acting Afrin nasalspray is suggested during these times (but not for consistent use & can cause increase heartbeats like asthma inhalers). Steroid sprays and antihistamines are considered "safer" and effective. A list of "ear-clearing" maneuvers are mentioned - if you type up "Ear Clearing" on Wikipedia .

Some hotels in high elevation areas carry hand-held mini oxygen breathing tanks for this reason, as even healthy "regular" folks get altitude sickness. These looked like a thermos with a mouthpiece. I developed a severe migraine and implosive effusion in both ears. Unknowingly, at the time I had dysfunctional Eustachian tubes and chronic sinus disease. I had NO idea at the time of this or much on ENT jargon, but by experience and education overtime, I eventually learned what Drs did not tell me. I hope this helps. -H.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast