Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Transplant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transplant

Hello friends. Hope you've all had a good Christmas.
    I started the thread "Dialysis choices" 20 months ago when it looked like I would be needing dialysis within a couple of months. That thread evolved into more transplant related discussion than dialysis, so I have now started this transplant thread.

So, after a long 19 month wait I finally got the call to say say that the donor's (my dad) tissue was a close enough match, but due to many previous blood transfusions, I had many antibodies, some of which were "attacking" my dad's blood.
    The test was repeated and 1/2 hour ago I got the results..........It's all go for transplant!!!! My antibodies against my dad must have settled down enough.
    There should now be a 2-3 weeks wait to see the Multidisciplinary Team at St. James in Leeds and the transplant itself 3-4 weeks later.

My wife is SO excited. I know I should be, but I'm a bit in shock and also very nervous, due to the bleeding problems I have, which have not been resolved.

I'll continue to update my progress so others who end up in my situation have an idea of what to expect.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transplant

I’m glad you got a kidney match that’s great! I’m nervous for you! I will be thinking of you & hoping everything goes great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes gilders, annekat, Alysia, drz, bobjannj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its really fantastic that you have a match! It does seem that here is always a little hiccup along with the good, that makes you a bit uncertain to get too excited....But stay strong, and keep us posted. Blessings to you and your family.
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

5. Likes gilders, annekat, Alysia, bobjannj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow ! Thank you, Pete, for sharing with us the wonderful news. Praise The Lord. You have waited so long....

I know few people with kidney transplant: 3 weggies on facebook and another fb friend with lupus. Also my accountant did it. All of them are doing great.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and waiting for your coming updates.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

7. Likes gilders, bobjannj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing you luck and better kidney function for the New Year
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

9. Likes gilders, bobjannj, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also sooooooo happy for you. Please keep us posted as the time gets closer. I will keep you in my prayers. What a way to start the New Year.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

11. Likes gilders, Lilly, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your messages of support.
    The main headlines for the news in the UK today were all about the NHS and how the head of NHS England has told drs to cancel all operations that aren't immediately life saving (NHS is very understaffed) until after January.
    I'm thinking that this may postpone my kidney transplant as the ones booked in for January will be moved to February (the month I expected mine to happen).
    Every time we make progress, we then take 2 steps back.
    Diagnosed April 1995

13. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Gliders, I am so disappointed for you....I know you are very frustrated!! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings and hope....
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

15. Likes Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just in case anyone was wondering how the kidney transplant went, well it STILL hasn't happened. My cardiologist is concerned that due to having vasculitis for over 20 years, my arteries may have hardened and the operation may be too risky. I had another echocardiogram a couple of weeks ago and next week I need to have 2 Myocardial Perfusion scans over 2 days.
    I met up with my local transplant Dr at the beginning of the week. He has said that I am now his priority and so long as the heart results come back good, I'll be on the operating table between 3 - 6 months. He did say that that although the repeated immunology tests showed that I am compatible with my dad, it is classed as High Risk compatible. I asked if my dad was still the best option to donate due to it being high risk. He said it was as I have MANY antibodies, so finding a match would be very hard with anyone else.
    I will need to take twice as many anti-rejection meds as "regular" patients. Not really happy about that, especially as I'm currently in drug free remission and feel much better for it (except for zero energy, which is to be expected with my poor kidney function).
    Diagnosed April 1995

17. Likes Alysia, BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering how the kidney transplant went, well it STILL hasn't happened. My cardiologist is concerned that due to having vasculitis for over 20 years, my arteries may have hardened and the operation may be too risky. I had another echocardiogram a couple of weeks ago and next week I need to have 2 Myocardial Perfusion scans over 2 days.
    I met up with my local transplant Dr at the beginning of the week. He has said that I am now his priority and so long as the heart results come back good, I'll be on the operating table between 3 - 6 months. He did say that that although the repeated immunology tests showed that I am compatible with my dad, it is classed as High Risk compatible. I asked if my dad was still the best option to donate due to it being high risk. He said it was as I have MANY antibodies, so finding a match would be very hard with anyone else.
    I will need to take twice as many anti-rejection meds as "regular" patients. Not really happy about that, especially as I'm currently in drug free remission and feel much better for it (except for zero energy, which is to be expected with my poor kidney function).
    I’m sorry about the delay, I can image you are anxious.
    I was wondering about the anti-rejection drugs. Do you know what they will prescribe? I’m just wondering because I know imuran is sometimes used & it would be nice (though I understand that it sucks since your in a drug free remission right now) to “kill two birds with one stone” as they say?? I will keep you in my thoughts & hope all the cardiology tests come back normal & you have a speedy recovery.
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes gilders, Alysia, BenHornsby, annekat liked this post
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast