Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Transplant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transplant

You are definitely giving everything your best shot. I wish I could say and do more than to tell you my husband and I keep you close to our hearts and in our prayers.
    Masha

2. Likes annekat, Alysia, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    You are definitely giving everything your best shot. I wish I could say and do more than to tell you my husband and I keep you close to our hearts and in our prayers.
    Masha
    The prayers help thank you.
    I'm being included in the weekly prayer list at our local church. I'd only just told them on Thursday how well I was doing and then the day after I found out it was likely that I'm rejecting the kidney.
    Perhaps it's all the prayers that is currently helping to keep my kidney stable and hopefully buying enough time for the treatment to fully begin and become effective.
    Diagnosed April 1995

4. Likes annekat, Marius, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some EXCELLENT news!

Went in for biopsy on new kidney yesterday. They did bloods to check my coagulation level and all the other bloods they usually take 3 times/week.
    Amazingly my kidney function had shot up to 51% from 36%. I haven't had a function that high for many years. I hate the side effects of steroids, but if the last 3 days of IV steroids is the reason for this improvement, I'll have to stop seeing them as the devil's pills.

I asked if the biopsy was now necessary as the treatment seemed to be working. They still wanted to do it to get answers and confirm it was a rejection episode. If there's no sign of rejection, then steroids can stop, but I can't see what else it could have been.

The biopsy itself was much better than the previous ones I had in my back, on my original kidneys. But for 10mins to 2 hrs after, I was in a lot of pain. After lying flat on my back for 7 hours they let my wife bring me home at 10pm last night.

I just hope my function remains around 50%!
    Diagnosed April 1995

6. Likes Pete, Masha, annekat, drz, Keith, Alysia, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds all good. When we didn’t hear from you for a day, I was ready to put an all out alert in search of our hero. Use keep the prayers coming your way.
    Masha

8. Likes annekat, Alysia, gilders, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like very good news, Pete ! What a roller coaster ride you have been on! We hope and pray that you continue to have great news for us! Maybe you can tolerate a more moderate, or eventually low dose of pred, or better yet, none at all! Best of luck and thanks for keeping us posted!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

10. Likes Alysia, gilders, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just catching up on here Pete.
    I hope you now have some good news on your kidney, and that the improvement is still happening.

I agree that pred is evil, but like most of us, I wouldn't be here without it.

Sending healing prayers and more pain free days, to you.

Keep on functioning little kidney, you can do it
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

12. Likes annekat, Alysia, gilders, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately the biopsy results hadn't come through by yesterday, so they won't be ready until after Easter now. After the surprising improvement of my kidney function, I'm not too worried about the delay as things seem to be heading in the right direction.

My pain level is completely manageable. I'm a little concerned that I'm still struggling to walk up stairs and up hill without feeling breathless. Just having a shower leaves me worn out. But I guess recovery from major surgery may knock you back a bit, before you start to feel the full improvements.

But mentally I'm SO much better. I wake up feeling like I've actually had some sleep and I want to get out of bed. I've not felt like that for a very long time now. My brain has been so "foggy" and tired 24 hrs/day and now I actually feel "awake".

I think the worse thing to come will be my stent removal. I received the appointment letter yesterday for April 30th. The stent is in place between the ureter and bladder. I will have a cystoscope (with some sort of grabbing tool) inserted through my urethra, through my prostate, then bladder. Then the stent will be grabbed and dragged back through. Apparently it is more uncomfortable for males as the urethra in both men and women can be numbed with anaesthetic, but it doesn't reach the prostate
    Diagnosed April 1995

14. Likes mishb, Alysia, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@gilders

Any chance the procedure can be done under “twilight” anesthetic? When I had my colonoscopy, that’s what they gave me. It was two drugs, one of which was fentanyl. I was kind of awake, but didn’t feel or remember anything about the procedure.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

16. Likes Alysia, gilders, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pete,
    I could ask about that, but in truth I'll probably just "man up" and let them get on with it. I hate making a fuss

I had a sigmoidoscopy a couple of years ago and before the procedure, I was offered a choice of an injection of some sort of pain relief/relaxant, or some gas/air mix. I lied on my side and the nurse asked which I'd prefer. I said "gas/air", the dr said "he'll be ok, he doesn't need anything". The nurse responded "but he's requested gas/air", the dr still went ahead without me having any sort of pain relief.
    So I wouldn't be surprised if I asked for anything beyond the local anaesthetic gel, that I'd get told "you'll be fine with the gel".
    Diagnosed April 1995

18. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got today's blood results through my eGFR has dropped 9% to 42%. Bit gutted, I was so pleased when it had jumped to 51% after 3 days of IV pred. I'm only on 20mg oral pred/day now. I wonder if if my kidney is needing a stronger dose to keep it happy?

Hope there's no delay on biopsy results.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast