Thread: Cataract Surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cataract Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    I met the eye surgeon yesterday. I went to the one who got most of the reccomendations and who is doing many surgeries.
    Well, it sounds too easy to be true. He said that he will insert tiny thing, the size of a pen tin and will use ultra sound. He didnt explain exactly the procedure and I didnt ask beyond that. Too scary.
    I asked many other questions. He doesnt see any problem due to wg (btw, he said: "you dont look sick ) He had seen another weggie (one is a lot here). He said that I will not need any pain killers (really ?). That I dont need to take antibiotics. Only 2 kinds of eye drops for 2 weeks, 4 times a day each. That I will not need sun glasses in the days after the surgery (really ?) He said that at the morning after the surgery I will take off the bandage by myself from my eye, and then "you can wash your face and go to work". 4 days after the surgery, I can go to the optometrist for new glasses, temporary, and then I will be able to drive.
    He said that the number of the new len will be 2.5 and it will be for distance. He said that I will not need reading glasses. I forgot to ask if I will be able to read without the glasses for distance or with them, and if I can choose. I prefer to be able to read without ANY glasses. I hope it is possible.

This dr. made everything looks too simple so I cant be sure if I can trust him. he also has sense of humor but it also made it hard for me to trust him. Is it my problem ? What do you think ? Is the way he presents the surgery indeed that simple ? Am I just a scardey weggie ?

Anyway, he is experienced and my eye dr. Whom I trust 100 percent reccomanded him. So I will take him.

The surgery is going to be this Thursday on 10:00 in the morning. Dr. Phil will be there to watch over me.
    I will keep you in my thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Cataract Surgery

Hi Alysia, I just read about your eye surgery. I will be praying for you, and no, you are not a "scardy weggie" Ha Ha Ha!!!! I hate having ANY kind of surgery. Love you, and I'll be anxious about the outcome for you. Blessings and much love,
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cataract Surgery

Surgery done this morning. I am typing with one eye covered, looking like a pirate...

I have questions to those who had it:
    I have CRAZY nausea. Although all the stuff was local. Also total exhaustion and pains in the eye (not sharp like they warned me, in case of sharp pain to call the dr.). Paracetamol pill didnt help. Are those common symptoms ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also writing how was the surgery for others who would like to know:

I copy a short explanation of the procedure:

Phacoemulsification cataract surgery is a procedure in which an ultrasonic device is used to break up and then remove a cloudy lens, or cataract, from the eye to improve vision. The insertion of an intraocular lens (IOL) usually immediately follows phacoemulsification.

Read more: http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/P...#ixzz53EJUUVaW

the surgery itself lasts only 10 minutes. But before it they put many eye drops twice and waited 40 minutes after each drops' session. So it was a long waiting. The dr. was very nice and professional.
    In the surgery room they covered all my face, but the eye, after cleaning it with sterile solution. An unpleasant device held the eye wide open. I saw lights of many colors. During all the surgery they were using lots of drops. That felt calming. I felt the sting of the injection.
    When the dr. Took out my len I felt it; it was CRAZY SHARP pain, one of the worst. Thanks God it was fast enough. My bp dropped and I heard them saying 100/50. Not too bad. Then I heard the dr. asking for the len and I saw the circle of it while he inserted it. It was also very fast. I was glad I took this dr. Because he knew his job. As for the pain I felt, I understood from him after the surgery, that mine was extreme. Not only a scardey weggie but also sensitive
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When mine was done I felt absolutely no pain of any kind and I was able to see out of the eye immediately. I didn't have any bandage to cover my eye post surgery. Before the procedure we spent about 30 minutes with eye drops to numb the eye to prevent pain.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    My doctor used the ORA system for my surgery https://www.myalcon.com/products/surgical/ora-system/

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blu4runner View Post
    When mine was done I felt absolutely no pain of any kind and I was able to see out of the eye immediately. I didn't have any bandage to cover my eye post surgery. Before the procedure we spent about 30 minutes with eye drops to numb the eye to prevent pain.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    My doctor used the ORA system for my surgery https://www.myalcon.com/products/surgical/ora-system/
    Wow, sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing, Victor. Its important for others to know that it can be without pains and much easier then mine.

I googled the ORA system in Hebrew searching for cataract surgeries with it and couldn't find it. Maybe they dont have it here yet ? I will ask my surgeon...

Btw, the video looks too scary. I am glad I didnt watch it before the surgery
    Last edited by Alysia; 01-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

10. Likes Lilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the bandage off yesterday's morning. I see so much better with my right eye. Although I still need glasses for distance with it. Now it is uncomfortable because each eye is totally another story: right eye can read well. But not see well in the distance. Left eye cant see well both for distance and reading plus developing cataract. I tried all my glasses and none are fitting right now. I cant wait to go to my optometrist tomorrow to fix temporary glasses. Will go right after the eye surgeon's check.

If there is a strong light I see the circle of the new len. Should it be this way ?

I still have nausea and dizziness, I guess its kind of vertigo because of the sight mess

Dr. Phil spent the night with me in a long sweet dream. He allways comes when I need him the most
    Last edited by Alysia; 01-06-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

12. Likes Lilly, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to the eye surgeon for check up. I asked others in the waiting room if they felt the pain I did during the surgery. No one had it.

The dr. said that the eye looks good. Although I still have pains and needs paracetamol pills to endure (I dont have high tolerance to pain).

I told the surgeon that I felt crazy sharp pain when he took the len out. He said: "It is impossible". I said that not only I felt it, my blood pressure also dropped down and I heard the nurse saying 100/50. He said again: "It is impossible". I became angry and asked: "Do I look like a liar to you ?"
    He said: "but your eye looks good". I said again that I felt that pain, "do I look delusional to you ?". I said that I will need a surgery in the second eye and I dont want it to happen again. Then he said: "I believe you". Thank you dr.

Anyway, I wrote today an email to the hospital where I had the surgery (small private hospital) asking my medical file, telling about the pain and asking to check what went wrong, maybe the drops for anasthesia were given too early ? Maybe the injection was given too close to the procedure ? Will see what they say.

Its still a mess with the eye glasses. There is huge difference between the 2 eyes and I need to get used to the new glasses.

After all I am glad that the eye is ok. Praise The Lord.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

14. Likes me2, Lilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia, I LOVE how you stood up to the doctor, who was telling you that you had no pain in surgery!! How can a doctor be so dumb as to tell YOU how YOU FELT!! I think you finally got through to him....and also, how long until you get your medical records? Is your next surgery already scheduled? I know that right now, your eyes are each different until you get your next surgery....but back when I was able to wear contact lenses, I would put a lens in my stronger eye, which for me was my right eye. The lens helped me see distance clearly. And in the other eye, I wore no lens, and that eye would see things up close, like my computer, etc. Some people have a difficult time doing this, but for me, it worked. My Mom was the same way. So we could use each eye individually. Some people just cant do it, and its better for them to get glasses that see distance through the top of the lens, and close up through the bottom of the lens. (The only reason I sound like I know what I am talking about, is because my sister Jackie tells me how things work because she has worked for eye doctors, and has years of experience in the glasses / contact lens / Lasix surgery, etc.) So I guess I was wondering if you are getting the other eye done exactly like the first one? Will you be able to see the same out of both eyes after the second surgery? Will you need glasses to see close up after surgery #2? (I am asking lots of questions!) I know you are probably a bit apprehensive about the second surgery, especially if you have to have the same doctor. Thinking about you dear friend.....Blessings and Love
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

16. Likes mishb, drz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Hi Alysia, I LOVE how you stood up to the doctor, who was telling you that you had no pain in surgery!! How can a doctor be so dumb as to tell YOU how YOU FELT!! I think you finally got through to him....and also, how long until you get your medical records? Is your next surgery already scheduled? I know that right now, your eyes are each different until you get your next surgery....but back when I was able to wear contact lenses, I would put a lens in my stronger eye, which for me was my right eye. The lens helped me see distance clearly. And in the other eye, I wore no lens, and that eye would see things up close, like my computer, etc. Some people have a difficult time doing this, but for me, it worked. My Mom was the same way. So we could use each eye individually. Some people just cant do it, and its better for them to get glasses that see distance through the top of the lens, and close up through the bottom of the lens. (The only reason I sound like I know what I am talking about, is because my sister Jackie tells me how things work because she has worked for eye doctors, and has years of experience in the glasses / contact lens / Lasix surgery, etc.) So I guess I was wondering if you are getting the other eye done exactly like the first one? Will you be able to see the same out of both eyes after the second surgery? Will you need glasses to see close up after surgery #2? (I am asking lots of questions!) I know you are probably a bit apprehensive about the second surgery, especially if you have to have the same doctor. Thinking about you dear friend.....Blessings and Love
    Thank you so much sweet Lilly. I cant use my eyes the way you do. It sounds amazing to me that you can do it

After the second surgery hopefully both eyes will be able to see about the same. So far it still makes me some dizziness although less. Thanks God.

A kind lady from the hospital called me. We discussed the issue of feeling pain during the surgery. She said that I can get my file but it will have to be by asking the eye surgeon for it. Do I want them to do it ? I thought for a bit. Then I decided that I dont want to "mark" myself as a "trouble maker" with the surgeon. After all he did the sugery well. And I still need him. I dont want him to refuse to operate me at the second eye. I told her not to do it and explained. She understood. I decided that before the second surgery I will ask my eye dr. To write to the eye surgeon not to start operating before checking that the anasthesia is working.

My guess is that he didnt wait enough after giving me the injection. All other patients said that their surgery lasted 20 min. Mine lasted 10 min. So maybe that was the reason.

No idea when I will go for the cataract surgery in the left eye. It is not yet proggressed enough. So I keep on consuming my pred, it will sure bring me there
    Alysia
    dx 2008

18. Likes Lilly, Aneinu liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast