Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cataract Surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cataract Surgery

@Alysia — So far, no evidence of cataracts in my eyes. My ophthalmologist checks for them every six months. He is aware of pred induced cataracts and was very pleased to learn that I have gotten off it.

I wear hybrid contact lenses. They have a hard contact (just covers the iris) embedded in a soft contact that covers more of the cornea. I wear these because of astigmatism that soft contacts alone can’t correct. They are very comfortable, and I wear them 10-14 hours a day.

I care for my lenses properly and have had no problems with them.

My wife also wears soft contacts, and she has dry eyes. She uses drops (Restasis I think) to deal with dry eyes and has no issues.

Dwell on the good news about the “good” eye. Who knows, your surgically corrected eye may grow better as you age.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia,
    Glad you went for another opinion, but what a bummer! I remember when you went back to those original doctors and they blew you off. Yes, I know Pete is right in saying for you to concentrate on the good eye. But, you have every right to be outraged.
    When you go to the doctors (not just the eye doctors)/do you have someone who goes with you? My husband has sat through every appointment with me. This is good, because as the doctor answers my questions more arise.
    Again, as Pete said we will celebrate that you don’t need cataract surgery in the other eye. No more eye surgery.
    Oh, the places this disease they call Wegeners will take us. Prayers.
    Be Well, I know you will.
    Masha

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much Pete and Masha for your encouragment. Indeed I need to be happy with my good eye. I just dont understand why my eye dr said that I have advanced cataract in it. It makes me wonder if she is a good enough dr.
    And I need to find a way to see better with the difference between the 2 eyes.
    Thanks a lot for the info about the contact lens, @Pete. Sounds promising. I will check it.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

6. Likes Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update:

I've found a wonderful eye surgeon. Couple of months ago he operated my father and healed his vision against all odds. So, on 6 January I went to my second cataract surgery - this time by the most wonderful eye dr. ever - Dr. Shalem - God bless him.

The surgery went well (although it was painful, I guess it's me). Already in the day after I've started to see so much better - I have not seen so well for years Praise The Lord ! It is so amazing to just see well. My eye has recovered so far easily. No problems. I am still fascinated from seeing things I couldn't see before, I can see the mountains far away when I go to the grocery shop !

Dr. Shalem will also treat my second eye with lazer, after I will finish the treatment in the operated eye. Hopefully he will fix the damage in that eye that the bad eye surgeon did.

At the day of my cataract surgery, the readings were: "The people who walked in the darkness have seen a great light," - so I knew it is going to be well. So much light
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

8. Likes me2, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, terrific news.

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some relevant info on cataracts from an eye doctor--me.

1. long term use of corticosteroids (prednisone et al) does cause cataracts. One would assume that the benefits of using pred to control disease far outweighs the resulting cataracts which are easily remedied. Cataracts are dose and term related and there are no guidelines for what that is in the real world. For some people a two week high level dose does it but not usually. For others a longer term low dose is the cause but again, not always.

2. when to have cataract surgery is generally a personal choice. When your vision is affected to the point that it bothers you, have the old, cloudy lens removed and replaced with a nice, new clear plastic model. But here's the catch: most cataracts evolve slowly and your brain adapts to the loss of clarity and brightness, color shifts, and even night glare. To a point. If you see your eye doctor regularly, even every few years, he/she will know the degree your vision has declined, regardless of your personal subjective view of things.

If your doctor talks in terms of "it's not ripe yet" or vaguely "does it bother you" without further discussion, find a new eye doctor.

Cataract surgery is one of the most successful and lowest risk surgeries. But it is surgery and no procedure is not without risk.

12. Likes Pete, me2, Alysia, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the information!

14. Likes Alysia liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345