Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cataract Surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cataract Surgery

Thank you Masha. My eye dr. Said that I will need to use special eye drops an hour before driving at night and she was not sure it will help. We had holidays here so there was no one to talk to. I will try to set an appointment and ask a refferal for second opinion.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to my eye dr on Wednesaday. The operated eye is not inflamed anymore. Thanks God. But I have few problems:

1. Strong lights make me see the len and not the view. It is dangerous while driving at night (which I avoid now) or against the sun. And irritating, on daily basis. It bothers me more then the cataract did. Because at those moments I loose my sight.

2. Eventhough I asked the surgeon few times to insert a len so that I will not need reading glasses, only glasses for far, he didnt do it. I still need 2 kinds of glasses. If something gets into the operated eye I cant see it in order to take it out !

3. Worse: he created TOO BIG difference between the 2 eyes, although I asked him not to. He was supposed to put len number 4 but put number 2. The other eye is almost 9 so it is crazy. I cant fit the right glasses for both eyes and I have no choice but to wear lower number for the nonoperated eye. And I dont see well enough after all.

I told my eye dr. all that. She said that the glare problem is because my pupil became enlarged after the surgery and that it is not a problem because of the len. She said the surgery is good. She said that I dont need to operate the second eye in the near future. She said that I cant fix what was done. That there are too many risks and that it is impossible. Really ? She is a good dr. And I trust her. But she is not a surgeon. And the surgeon is her friend. She cant admit that he screwed up. I sent the surgeon an email writing him all the problems. He didnt answer.

I wonder what should I do. What do you think ? Does anyone here have a surgery to fix a cataract surgery ? @BookNut ?

Any ideas are welcome. Thank you all for being here. God bless you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a medical licensing body in Israel that you can address this with?
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I replied to you at length on Facebook. I have not had a surgery to repair a surgery, but I sure do think it is time for you to get another opinion. Make sure it is from a surgeon in a different practice altogether.
    Love and healing thoughts,
    Jacquie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

6. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia,
    The man across the street from us is a retired eye doctor, so I asked him what he thought. Of course not seeing the patient makes it difficult to diagnose. He did say having another surgery on the one they just operated on is too invasive, and could prove to be dangerous. He also said that our brains would have difficulty balancing the difference from one eye to the other. Conservatively, and for the short run, try a patch on an eye at a time. You may have to use your good eye for night driving.
    He also said you will probably need to go to a prescription pair of glasses, one lens thick, the other thin.
    My experience has been that doctors rarely criticize each others work. However that being said, their is a woman in our neighborhood who had to have stomach surgery. She’s in her 70’s, husband has Alzheimer’s. After the surgery she was worse than before. The surgeon told her nothing was wrong with her physically, that she needed to see a psychiatrist. Her adult children took her to Duke, a great teaching hospital here in the Carolinas. Eric goes there. The surgeon there found a bag had been left in her stomach! Big law suit. Bottom line, we are the best judge of our own bodies.
    Is there a large teaching hospital or eye institute near you? Our friend, the eye doctor, also said that the format for the surgery and difference in vision, potential problems, should have all been set down before you prior to surgery. I should add that this man had a very large eye practice in California. Stabilization and adjusting to your new normal may take a while.
    I don’t know how insurance or health care works in Israel. That being said I would avail myself to the best possible opinions out there, BUT, after talking to him, I would not have another eye surgery until all alternatives have been attempted, if ever.
    Be well.
    Masha

8. Likes Alysia, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is there a medical licensing body in Israel that you can address this with?
    Thanks Pete. I guess you mean something like Ombudsman to complain ? Not sure. I wrote to the clinic where the surgeon works that he didnt bother to answer my email. So they told him and were back to me, telling me to go to my eye dr. with my issues. So nothing helpful.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BookNut View Post
    I replied to you at length on Facebook. I have not had a surgery to repair a surgery, but I sure do think it is time for you to get another opinion. Make sure it is from a surgeon in a different practice altogether.
    Love and healing thoughts,
    Jacquie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you Jacquie, and all the others. Yes, I think I need to get second opinion, although not sure which dr. It should be. Still searching.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Hi Alysia,
    The man across the street from us is a retired eye doctor, so I asked him what he thought. Of course not seeing the patient makes it difficult to diagnose. He did say having another surgery on the one they just operated on is too invasive, and could prove to be dangerous. He also said that our brains would have difficulty balancing the difference from one eye to the other. Conservatively, and for the short run, try a patch on an eye at a time. You may have to use your good eye for night driving.
    He also said you will probably need to go to a prescription pair of glasses, one lens thick, the other thin.
    My experience has been that doctors rarely criticize each others work. However that being said, their is a woman in our neighborhood who had to have stomach surgery. She’s in her 70’s, husband has Alzheimer’s. After the surgery she was worse than before. The surgeon told her nothing was wrong with her physically, that she needed to see a psychiatrist. Her adult children took her to Duke, a great teaching hospital here in the Carolinas. Eric goes there. The surgeon there found a bag had been left in her stomach! Big law suit. Bottom line, we are the best judge of our own bodies.
    Is there a large teaching hospital or eye institute near you? Our friend, the eye doctor, also said that the format for the surgery and difference in vision, potential problems, should have all been set down before you prior to surgery. I should add that this man had a very large eye practice in California. Stabilization and adjusting to your new normal may take a while.
    I don’t know how insurance or health care works in Israel. That being said I would avail myself to the best possible opinions out there, BUT, after talking to him, I would not have another eye surgery until all alternatives have been attempted, if ever.
    Be well.
    Masha
    Thank you so much Masha for your caring and for asking your neighbour. I make some readings meantime and indeed it seems too dangerous to touch the eye. I read about other treatments but all might be complicated considering wg affecting my eyes, making them red and dry. Maybe I will need to buy special glasses, for day driving, night driving, reading and so. (Costs a fortune that I dont have). I cant compensate with the second eye, because that the difference between the two eyes is so big that I cant wear the right len for that eye (which should be 8-9) only a lower number (7) so I dont see well enough with it.
    A good thing might be, that a weggie on facebook told me that he had similar issues, although more mild, and that in time it gets better for him.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Alysia

What I actually meant was the body that gives the government’s approval to someone to practice medicine.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update: I went to get a second opinion from another eye surgeon. He was very professional.

He said that usually Cataract surgery is done on much older patients. He explained that with aging the pupils react less to light. The new artificial len exposes the pupil to more light then the original len of the eye. since I am relatively young for a cataract surgery, my pupil reacts more to light then expected. There is nothing I can do about it except from trying the eye drops if I want to drive at night, and special glasses. But every operation is a big risk of retinal detachment. So not going to do any.

As for the huge difference between the 2 eyes, he suggested to try to add to the glasses a contact len in one eye only. I am not sure I can use contact len with my poor red dry eye.

Anyone here is wearing contact lens ?

AND, he said that in the non operated eye I DONT HAVE CATARCT. I said, are you sure ? He said yes. It was weired because both my eye dr. and the damn surgeon told me that I do have cataract in the other eye. But I trust this new dr. more. It means that the damn surgeon is even worse then I thought. He shouldn't have created such BIG difference between the 2 eyes, especially NOT when I shouldn't operate the second eye.

It is what it is.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast