Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Appetite Stimulant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Appetite Stimulant

Not weg's related: My sis was dx'd with uterine cancer a year back. It was followed by chemo which she finished this past spring. She has never gained back her weight loss, as her appetite has never really recovered. Doctor is concerned at this point. Reading up on stimulants. It's never going to happen unless something kick-starts things. Unfortunately, she had gotten gastric bi-pass a couple of years back which doesn't help. Reading zinc may also help.
    Hope everyone is well.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Appetite Stimulant

Hi David. Is your sister feeling well at the moment? If not, then when she's feeling better her appetite will most likely increase.
    This is frustrating though as she won't begin to feel better if she's getting no energy or nutrients from food. When I was very ill and didn't eat, I forced down nutrient milkshakes (the ones that agreed with me were called "Build Up" by Nestlé). There were also fortisip and Complan, but I couldn't stomach those. As strange as it may sound, even Slim Fast would get her some nutrients (much better than having nothing).
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just been browsing the web to see if Build Up are still available as I haven't seen them in a long time. Looks like they are now called Nestlé Meretene Energis, hopefully they are still as palatable as Build Up.
    I was 17 and in hospital when I needed these. After a couple of weeks my appetite was back and I was having midnight feasts of take out pizza with the nurses!
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like cannabis is legal in your state. Many people on chemo use it to increase appetite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a low, safe dose prednisone?

Ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David, I think your sister has two problems. She has had the gastric bypass and will not be absorbing nutrients or medications normally or at all. She should probably see a nutritionist. I am wondering if she needs nutrients through a vein or PICC line such as TPN. Another problem is the left over crummy feeling from being treated for cancer which makes the above worse. I would still recommend a nutritionist. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk